Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times

Advertisements

The back is sore but there is a smile on my face. We have 3 new areas completed this weekend. In our back breezeway, we switched out some bushes we put in last year for a more simple look of Foxtail ferns and Gerbera Daisies. Behind the pool, we wanted a little more color so in went 2 Yellow Trumpet Flower shrubs. My favorite is the new shrub for the front of our house. Its a Banana Shrub (Michelia Figo). When in bloom (as it is right now) it fills the air with the smell of sweet ripe bananas! Its in the Magnolia family and keeps its leaves year round too. We have more landscaping to do in back once we put down around 10 yards of mulch next weekend. I'll follow up with some more pics when its all complete! I love spring!!!! Nothing beats a weekend with your hands in dirt!
Attached Thumbnails
new plants! :)-sammie-breezeway.png   new plants! :)-yellow-trumpet-flower.jpg   new plants! :)-banana-shrub.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,385 times
Wow, that was a lot of work. It always feels so good to finish a job like that (must be some kind of endorphins or something). Anyhow, the plants look great!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Oh I agree... nothing feels better than a long day in the garden, then a hot shower, then a walk back outside to the garden area to see what you accomplished...

Enjoy! Looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
The back is sore but there is a smile on my face. We have 3 new areas completed this weekend. In our back breezeway, we switched out some bushes we put in last year for a more simple look of Foxtail ferns and Gerbera Daisies. Behind the pool, we wanted a little more color so in went 2 Yellow Trumpet Flower shrubs. My favorite is the new shrub for the front of our house. Its a Banana Shrub (Michelia Figo). When in bloom (as it is right now) it fills the air with the smell of sweet ripe bananas! Its in the Magnolia family and keeps its leaves year round too. We have more landscaping to do in back once we put down around 10 yards of mulch next weekend. I'll follow up with some more pics when its all complete! I love spring!!!! Nothing beats a weekend with your hands in dirt!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,523 times
Very pretty.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,792 times
Nice!!!

Since this is my first spring in my new house... the flowers that is here before me are starting to peek out. So far we have snow drops & crocus (off season now) and daffodils & some purpled flower ground cover and my hosta (just fertilized it) are budding too.

To add to my gardens... I will be planting Morning Glory on my stone retainer wall (not really retaining anything but a landscape thing) & my mailbox post as a climber for it..... adding some Marigolds too.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Nice!!!

Since this is my first spring in my new house... the flowers that is here before me are starting to peek out. So far we have snow drops & crocus (off season now) and daffodils & some purpled flower ground cover and my hosta (just fertilized it) are budding too.
Quote:

To add to my gardens... I will be planting Morning Glory on my stone retainer wall (not really retaining anything but a landscape thing) & my mailbox post as a climber for it..... adding some Marigolds too.

Really very nice, but I am concerned about the mold/mildew/rot that you are going to get on that wooden trim adjacent to the mulch.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh I agree... nothing feels better than a long day in the garden, then a hot shower, then a walk back outside to the garden area to see what you accomplished...

Enjoy! Looks great
I am always too tired to go back out and look at it......after the shower, I head for the Tylenol.

I have never heard of a banana bush.....

Happy spring and happy planting everybody!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Really very nice, but I am concerned about the mold/mildew/rot that you are going to get on that wooden trim adjacent to the mulch.
Not really a problem. What you can't see is the drainage pipe that runs just under the surface. Keeps the moisture level correct for the plantas and keeps rot and Termites away!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Nice!!!

Oh! I might rethink the morning glory. It can get out of hand so easiliy! As for the rest... I love when you see the garden come to life for the first time.!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I am always too tired to go back out and look at it......after the shower, I head for the Tylenol.

I have never heard of a banana bush.....

Happy spring and happy planting everybody!
Its a banana shrub. Heres the link.

Banana Shrub (Michelia figo) - Monrovia - Banana Shrub (Michelia figo)

If you are in the right area, I recommend it! The fragrance is incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden