Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,301 times

Advertisements

I have been a gardener most of my life........but I am about to throw in the towel.....I have an invasion of strawberry plants taking over my garden. I pull them out, and at a flick of an eyelash I get double in....cannot use a herbicide......need your help. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I have been a gardener most of my life........but I am about to throw in the towel.....I have an invasion of strawberry plants taking over my garden. I pull them out, and at a flick of an eyelash I get double in....cannot use a herbicide......need your help. Thank you,
Yes - strawberries can get out of control very quickly. In a veggie garden, I've found that laying a thick layer of straw around the plants and in between the rows helps to keep all weeds down. At the end of the season, roto-till the straw in to improve the soil. Without using a herbicide, its the best I can do for you.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Plant mint.

ROTFLAO

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2012, 04:22 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,725 times
You asked for help but didn't say what you need help doing.
You mentioned not being able to use herbicide. Are you trying to kill the strawberries?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Plant mint.

ROTFLAO

20yrsinBranson
LOLLLL Sorry Latina. Hmmm..Lo siento mucho, but I can empathize since I am suffering from a "strawberry" as well. In my case it is fragaria indica, a plant in the strawberry family originally from India.

I did eradicate it from a few beds, though. I pull it up and keep pulling it up, but it is willing the battle in other areas. But I personally would try to "accept" the plant in order to keep your sanity. I have a few beds where I let it do its thing and consider it "groundcover." In one bed I have yellow flowers (I totally love yellow flowers)...coreopsis, heliopsis, solidago, daffodils, lilies etc. All yellow. I let the FI do it's thing there and it actually looks pretty, I think. It covers the ground underneath the taller plants.

It does produce pretty yellow flowers, and I buy creeping jenny (I love CJ), so at least I didnt' have to pay for this...or creeping charlie. Another thing you can try is to "trench" around the beds each spring...get a few friends or children to help you pull the weeds, and put a layer of mulch around the "good" plants.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Plant mint.

ROTFLAO

20yrsinBranson
I consider myself halfway knowledgeable about plant stuff, you know? Halfway - or maybe less. I love mint - love it with sweet tea - so I'll plant one plant here and one there, and maybe another over there.....OMG - I have enough mint to sell. I had NO IDEA sweet mint multiplies overnight AND comes back year after year. And runs everywhere.

OP, are you talking about the wild strawberry plants? Yank, yank, and yank. And then neutralize your soil some, they love acid. It's a weed, though - I'm thinking herbicide - if that isn't an option, you have a lot of work ahead of you. I don't know how you'd ever get all the runners ripped up, but when you figure it out I have a mint patch or 5 you can work on

Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I consider myself halfway knowledgeable about plant stuff, you know? Halfway - or maybe less. I love mint - love it with sweet tea - so I'll plant one plant here and one there, and maybe another over there.....OMG - I have enough mint to sell. I had NO IDEA sweet mint multiplies overnight AND comes back year after year. And runs everywhere.

OP, are you talking about the wild strawberry plants? Yank, yank, and yank. And then neutralize your soil some, they love acid. It's a weed, though - I'm thinking herbicide - if that isn't an option, you have a lot of work ahead of you. I don't know how you'd ever get all the runners ripped up, but when you figure it out I have a mint patch or 5 you can work on
If you want another herb that is rather prolific, try dill. Its another one you will be beating back for years!

I think "weeds" are renamed "herbs" when its realized that they will never go away!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
If you want another herb that is rather prolific, try dill. Its another one you will be beating back for years!

I think "weeds" are renamed "herbs" when its realized that they will never go away!
Dill. It sounded like such a great idea. It took four years to extinguish.

If you plant poppies you'd better like 'em.

Cilantro can be a gift that keeps on giving, too.

Dill has to be top three worldwide, though.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Dill. It sounded like such a great idea. It took four years to extinguish.

If you plant poppies you'd better like 'em.

Cilantro can be a gift that keeps on giving, too.

Dill has to be top three worldwide, though.
It only took you 4 years to get rid of the dill???? We finally moved away to get away from it! As far as I know..the dill is still going...still multiplying and appearing in every possible planting bed and every crevace around Culpeper, Va....all compliments of my "herb" garden!

I forgot about cilantro. Yup its another one you had better love a lot. Thankfully, I never fell into the "poppy trap"

Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,761,174 times
Really? I can't get dill or cilantro to grow beyond their usual lifespan. Once they die, they are gone and I have to replant them each year in my herb garden. Now oregano, tyme, parsley and mint, I can't get rid of...they are like the gifts that keep on giving...I have to pull/cut these back frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden