Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times

Advertisements

I found a article from the iafs at U of florida

Sapium sebiferum -- Non-Native Invasive Plants in the United States (broken link)

These are some tough trees, at a height of 20' i guess removing the berries would not be possible.
It is interesting that the big box stores are still selling them but hey they also sell the mexican petunias which are also an invasive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Hatracking crepe myrtle is the one issue I don't win in my development. The lawn guy mentioned that mine needed it and I told him not to touch them. Now mine is the nicest in the neighborhood IMHO
next time the lawn guys want to do this ask them why
I bet they say because everyone does

Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post

Riveree, I've got some miloganite I can put down, and I need to work at remulching my "circle" before dh does some damage with the weedeater, thanks for the advice....we like our garden to be the envy of the neighborhood.
My neighbor and I were looking at his Live Oak recently, and it is seriously damaged from his lawn service hacking at it with the weedwacker - this tree is not going to be okay, it's probably going to come down in a good wind if not sooner .

Yeah, the idea used to be that Live Oaks didn't need anything, but now it's been show that fertilizing and watering them well in their earlier years actually makes for a stronger and healthier tree......seems to be working for mine .

Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
It's also called a popcorn tree b/c soon the berries will pop open and look like popcorn.
I heard about this one when I lived on the Gulf.
I never did see it, so maybe the campaign to get rid of it is working.

You know what I really like?
(Maybe this is trite, but remember, it is all new to me).
That shrub called Beautyberry.
I just think it's so pretty, with those colors it is almost other-worldly.

I love Live Oaks, too. We have two in our front yard, and plenty in the undeveloped common areas.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 AM

604 posts, read 4,622,169 times
Beautyberry is in bloom now, I saw them at the St Aug lighthouse recently.

We live in new construction and even though we back up to the perserve, we are having a hard time getting used to the lack of tree cover. The "popcorn" trees grow along the edge of a creek at the back of the lot, but the native pines and maples are starting to sprout up. It's pretty mucky backthere now but I will probably have my dh cut them down gradually, they don't look nice in winter so maybe I won't feel so bad doing it then : )

I have a lot of these 2'-4' pine trees sprouting up? any ideas on growth rate the next few years?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Beautyberry is in bloom now, I saw them at the St Aug lighthouse recently.

We live in new construction and even though we back up to the perserve, we are having a hard time getting used to the lack of tree cover. The "popcorn" trees grow along the edge of a creek at the back of the lot, but the native pines and maples are starting to sprout up. It's pretty mucky backthere now but I will probably have my dh cut them down gradually, they don't look nice in winter so maybe I won't feel so bad doing it then : )

I have a lot of these 2'-4' pine trees sprouting up? any ideas on growth rate the next few years?
If they're in the preserve, you'll have to leave them unfortunately. You can be penalized if you alter the preserve in any way (not allowed to cut down trees, etc.).

Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 PM

604 posts, read 4,622,169 times
Crape "murder" has begun! I came home today and my neighbor had hacked off the tops of her 3 crapes!

Riveree, I think you're right, some of those popcorn trees are outside my property stakes so they'll have to stay!

Has anyone had luck transplanting newly sprouted pines?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
I've read that it takes Crape Myrtle trees anywhere from 10 to 15 years to mature...I know, sad for we impatient folk! I have always admired their beauty when visiting the south, but they do well in Missouri, also. In St. Louis, we have very hot, humid summers. I planted a vivid red tree, which blooms very beautifully, in my front yard two years ago; however, it sounds like I'm going to have to wait another 8 to 13 before I see the big, bushy trees I love so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden