Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

We have a large planter box right against our house with a lattice backing going up six feet or so. We're trying to decide on a flowering vine-type climber to plant in it. We have a fairly good mix of shade and sun in our yard, but this planter box is in the only part of the yard that gets full sun -- and I mean 8 to 10 hours of sun a day. We're in zone 6B. We're only interested in a perennial, and hopefully something colorful. We'd love a Clematis, but I'm not sure it could take the constant sun and 90 degree temperatures for three months straight. Would a Clematis work, or should be look for something else instead? If that would be a bad choice, any other suggestions would be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I think a clamatis may work. Mine drops its foliage in the fall. I think some varieties don't.
Morning Glorys or Moon Flowers for should be fine. Moon flowers would be neat in that they bloom at night.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Hmm...how about native wisteria? I thought my neighbors had planted an invasive wisteria on their fence, but they're awesomer than I thought. It is a native wisteria! I know because I got one this year. I have amethyst falls. I don't know which one they got, but it looks the same and both of our plants have flower buds.

Wisteria frutescens (sp?)also appears to flower a bit later than the fragrant, Asian ones.

The neighbor's wisteria is next to a driveway and has survived 2 blazing hot summers in MD. Based on what I have seen, it can definitely take full sun. I think it also reportedly reblooms. I just read it is native to wet areas. As an aside, the plant gets a lot of water via runoff, so watering may be a concern in a pot.

I have read that some people may find the odor unpleasant when it blooms, but that's not a concern for me, and I haven't smelled any unpleasant odors from my neighbor's plant. If you are still looking for a vine by the time mine blooms, maybe I'll update about the smell.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I have several clients with Amethyst Falls and I have one myself. It is in bloom right now. Very pretty. Is your planter large enough to plant several climbers which could intermingle and therefore give you lots more color? If you keep the roots in the shade a clematis would be a good idea . Also I know you want perennials but a bougainvillea with Amethyst Falls or clematis would be pretty. If your planter isn't that large maybe you can get another container close to it with an annual like Bougainvillea. Any perennial is only going to be blooming a short while but combined with an annuals you will have a much longer bloom time.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Katzpur,
Clematis would work, but also a passiflora.
There are passiflora which are hardy in your area.
The flower is beautiful and different and the vine is evergreen,
well, it is here anyway.
No thorns, no fragrance to draw bees, good shade and privacy, and loves
the sun and heat.
Look up on search on internet to see if you can find one that is hardy
to your area.
They are different.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Some varieties of climbing roses may work. Have you checked with a knowledgeable nursery person at a local garden center.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
How about star jasmine? I know you said your zone is 6B, but could zone 7 possibly work?

How to Grow Star Jasmine Vine - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have Carolina Jessamine growing up my mailbox. It supposedly in ok in zone 6. Mine was in bloom all winter and spring, is evergreen in zone 8, and loves the sun. I have both it and a Sweet Autumn clematis mixed together.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I vote for Scarlet Runner beans!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
some of the hardy passifloras (passion flower) would be great, they grow like weeds and look cool!
clematis would be ine, ut keep the roots shaed with some under plating, combine clematis with roses for a beautiful display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden