Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 09:54 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear opinions on Mushroom Compost. Anyone using this?

My local nursery recommended it this spring, and I avoided it because I never heard of it. Well, a few months ago I tried it, and I am hooked. Everything it has touched became perked up, deep green and strong within a few days.

Reading the back of the bag, it said something about how mushroom farms need only the best soil to grow their shrooms, and when they are done, they bag it up and sell it.

I am wondering what exactly is in it? It is a very rich, moist, black soil. Is there manure in it? I think I can also see some finely ground wood in there. Would love to know how they make the stuff.

Mushroom compost will definitely be on my list to buy each spring from now on. I have found it at Lowes and also my local nursery. Anyone else use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,252,915 times
I heard from our local organic farming guru that it's comprised mostly of chicken manure. it's great to use, just beware that it could burn the roots if it's still "hot".

I use it as part of my soil mix (peat + 2 or more types of compost) because it's really cheap. I get it for about $4 per 40lb bag (I think, not sure but I do recall it's cheaper than other soil components)

Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
I would like to put in some raised beds soon and am wondering how much of this I would add to the soil? What % M compost would you add in relation to other types of soil, etc?

Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,252,915 times
equal parts peat/coir + compost X + mushroom compost.

doesn't have to be accurate I also added some perlite/vermiculite + lime + azomite + paramagnetic rock

Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,679,256 times
Mushroom compost is high in nitrogen, so that is what makes everything a wonderful green.
It should not be hot by the time you buy it. Chicken manure takes only 6 months to compost and be ready for a garden.
Depending on the condition of my soils, how much I use depends on what is needed for that specific area.
I also use a sprinkling of mushroom compost in my potted plants, applied like mulch.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:53 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,287,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Would love to hear opinions on Mushroom Compost. Anyone using this?

My local nursery recommended it this spring, and I avoided it because I never heard of it. Well, a few months ago I tried it, and I am hooked. Everything it has touched became perked up, deep green and strong within a few days.

Reading the back of the bag, it said something about how mushroom farms need only the best soil to grow their shrooms, and when they are done, they bag it up and sell it.

I am wondering what exactly is in it? It is a very rich, moist, black soil. Is there manure in it? I think I can also see some finely ground wood in there. Would love to know how they make the stuff.

Mushroom compost will definitely be on my list to buy each spring from now on. I have found it at Lowes and also my local nursery. Anyone else use it?
I bout a couple yards of garden soil from my local nursery. Pretty sure it has mushroom compost in it, since I had all kinds of shrooms popping up.

Anyway, my plants are doing great. Huge tomatoes and peppers. Love it.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:57 PM

48 posts, read 74,861 times
New to the forum (hello!). Mushroom are grown in worm composting which is very easy to set up. We have been doing it for years and the plants LOVE it! It also gets rid of our organic material which is a bonus.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:58 PM

48 posts, read 74,861 times
Look up 'vermicomposting'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden