Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Ever since we moved to NWA we have known about the wild black berries but usually the deer get to them before we can, especially as they are growing near the street by our house. Well, this year, the plants decided next to our house would be good gowning ground as well. Hubby tried to tell me there were berries right out by our shed: I thought he was nuts. He is that, but he was right about the berries. I just picked enough to can a couple of 1/2 pts I am guessing. When we lived, many years ago, in Eureka we had them wild everywhere, and no deer to disturb them. Here we have so much wildlife I can't believe I actually will be able to do something with them. I am hoping next year we get even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
We get black berries, too. Lots of them. The birds are big berry consumers. But, we usually pick enough for a pie or two.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We get black berries, too. Lots of them. The birds are big berry consumers. But, we usually pick enough for a pie or two.
sounds like us, but it is the deer as I stated. We have every kind of bird known to mankind here and yet they do not seem to eat the berries that much.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Can't speak for my region, just my yard.
All we have ever gotten was a volunteer holly.... and a single stalk of corn.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Blackberries and black raspberries, most notably. Elderberries, too.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Wild blueberries. Wish I had time to go picking some, because they taste wayyy better than cultivated blueberries.

Mind you, frozen ones from the supermarket tend to be reasonably tart. But I'd rather use wild blueberries for muffins and pies.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We have a couple of persimmon trees in our yard. I don't like them so I watch the animals eat them. I used to go out and pick the wild plums or cherries on the pretty trees in our yard. Never knew for sure what they are but each one was about a bite with a seed inside and so good. We also had chestnut trees which have died?? Pecan trees grow wild around here. Also there are wild blackberries and I love wild strawberries. They are very small and so tasty.

When I was growing up in the mountains, my mother was a wealth of information on things that grow wild. We got salad greens from the creek bank and creasy greens from the corn field. She made tea from tree roots when we would get congestion in our chest.

I wonder if huckleberries are wild blueberries. They are more purple than blue. Grandpa had chinquapins and hickory nuts and I believe walnuts grew wild there too.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
We have a whole "gleaning" thing going on around here. Last year apples weren't picked and there were tons for free.
Nut trees exist in Vernon, BC (hazelnuts and walnuts) and this spring several trees still had big, clean nuts for picking.
We have alpine strawberries (note on walks the bloom, because by berry time they're in the grass), and loads of cherries are right NOW, July.

And mushrooms. 27 different commercial varieties, along with the "other" ones. Spring, but mainly right at the first frost.
Some blueberries, chokecherries, crabapples, and some homestead trees for winter pears. Be there before the black bears.

Next to perhaps Oregon, the Okanagan grows naturally and commercially a tremendous number of crops.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Never happier than taking a walk and finding something to eat

Rose hips are almost ripe!!!!
On the cape: Blackberries. Beach plums. Cranberries. Blueberries.
Out in the boonies: Blueberries. Blackberries. Crab apples. Wild grapes.
In the city streets/parks: Mulberries. Pears. Apples. Gingkos. Red currants. Raspberries. Cherries. Never get to the nuts before the squirrels.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I'm fairly new to Redding, CA, but I've seen miner's lettuce when out walking by the river and I've picked it and eaten while walking. Also found some wild plums and ate some. I could have picked a bunch of the plums, and entertained the idea of making jam or something, but it would have been a lot of work to get a little fruit from around the pit - they're tiny, the size of cherries. And amazingly, the birds haven't eaten them all. Have also seen a lot of chamomile, seems to be everywhere.

Those living in WA, we used to go get wild asparagus in the ditches by the side of the road, too.

Oh, and yes, huckleberries are wild blueberries. The same family or whatever it's called. I'm forgetting my science right now. And there are different types of huckleberries, too, from east to west and even in the south. There are some in WA that are as big as commercial varieties, and sweet like a blackberry. I actually studied them a bit when I lived in WA. Wanted to see if I could grow some in a home garden, and yes you can, if you have a few to cross pollinate. But, they don't produce the number of berries you can get from the commercial varieties. The Forest Service actually gave me permission to dig some up for my experiment. That was fun :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden