Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times

Advertisements

Feel like such an idiot. Thought the vine weed growing around my flower beds was quite pretty--especially as the flowers started to blossom. Ummm... now it is taking over, choking my perennials and multiplying at light speed. I've pulled all I could see out by hand (took me over 4 hours). Any recommendations on keeping it in control? I am worried using round up will kill my other plants/ flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
If you are talking about bindweed here is just one article about dealing with it but there is lots of info about this awful stuff:

How to win the battle against bindweed (perennial morning glory) | OregonLive.com

Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 AM

Yes, that's what it is--thank you for the informative article. Looks like I will be pulling up this awful stuff on a regular basis. I'm not sure how to get to the roots at this point now because everything else is grown in. I may need to get aggressive with the roots in the fall. Ugh.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:06 PM

753 posts, read 1,105,083 times
Hand-pulling bindweed might keep it from choking out your other plants, but you'll never kill it that way because of the extensive root system. Roundup is about the only option. If they're growing around your other plants, unwind the bindwinds from the good plants and spray them while using a piece of cardboard or something like that as a shield. You might have to zap them repeatedly before they start to get the idea that they're supposed to die and not come back.

Rather than spraying with roundup, I've also heard of folks gathering up the long strands of bindweed and stuffing them in a glass jar filled with a dilute roundup solution, and leaving them like that until they die.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 PM

Rather than spraying with roundup, I've also heard of folks gathering up the long strands of bindweed and stuffing them in a glass jar filled with a dilute roundup solution, and leaving them like that until they die.[/quote]

This is a great idea. I have so many perennials and other plants that would be damaged by the Round Up but I think this could potentially be worth a shot.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 AM

177 posts, read 338,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Rather than spraying with roundup, I've also heard of folks gathering up the long strands of bindweed and stuffing them in a glass jar filled with a dilute roundup solution, and leaving them like that until they die.

This is a great idea. I have so many perennials and other plants that would be damaged by the Round Up but I think this could potentially be worth a shot.[/quote]

Another option for Roundup is to use the foam throwaway brushes and paint the leaves. Remember the new dilutions Consumer have less of the active ingredient then in the past. Wear rubber gloves and use the concentrate in about double strength add a couple of drops of Dawn dish soap to act as a wetting agent. You can also add some Broad-leaf weed killer also to the mix with this delivery method.

BTW the leaves you need to focus on are the ones near the ground the sap runs in both direction from those.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I pull and sometimes use Round-up and make little progress against Bindweed that seems to be from a very deep root source. I am just hoping that persistent battles will eventually reduce the pest.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I pull and sometimes use Round-up and make little progress against Bindweed that seems to be from a very deep root source. I am just hoping that persistent battles will eventually reduce the pest.
Bindweed was running rampant over one side of my yard when I bought my house 3+ years ago. I've now got it down to about half a dozen persistent plants that keep coming up in the same spots now -- I zap 'em with the roundup as soon as as I see the leaves sprouting up. The root systems might have enough stored energy to keep coming back for a while longer, but I think that with no top growth and the repeated doses of the roundup, they are going to give up the ghost eventually. OTOH there may also be new plants trying to get established, too (the whole neighborhood is infested with it) so I don't think the stuff is ever going to go away permanently.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Bindweed was running rampant over one side of my yard when I bought my house 3+ years ago. I've now got it down to about half a dozen persistent plants that keep coming up in the same spots now -- I zap 'em with the roundup as soon as as I see the leaves sprouting up. The root systems might have enough stored energy to keep coming back for a while longer, but I think that with no top growth and the repeated doses of the roundup, they are going to give up the ghost eventually. OTOH there may also be new plants trying to get established, too (the whole neighborhood is infested with it) so I don't think the stuff is ever going to go away permanently.

I agree. It's hard to get rid of when it is all over the neighborhood and open space areas around here. Behind our house is a giant open space meadow and I believe the bind weed is just a native plant to this area that is meant to be here so it will probably always be a battle to keep it out of our grass and flower beds. I figure as long as it is pulled before it can over take and destroy my other plants we will be okay. In the winter the frost makes everything die off so it does have somewhat of a life span (above ground anyway!) for the year. It is still driving me crazy though.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Field bindweed is *not* native to the Americas; it comes from Asia and Europe. In Colorado it's designated a "noxious weed" by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden