Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

I am a novice a gardening and yard maintenance but have been doing fairly well with one exception. The back of our property borders to woods and stream buffer, we have no fence. The yard is clear but one corner is a problem. The previous owners let it get over grown with Honeysuckle, Greenbrier and Poison Ivy. We had some dead trees removed from the corner and scraped all the surface vines, but the roots run deep. The woods behind our property are loaded with Poison Ivy (multiple hairy vines) and Greenbrier so I realize this is going to be a constant battle to some degree. The area is fairly shaded and I am looking for suggestions as to how to eliminate the vines from coming back due to roots left behind. I could try to grow grass or mulch the area but would it be wise to lay a tarp to suffocate the poison ivy and greenbrier that is lingering? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Just keep at it with your removal program. Spray with RoundUp weed killer in the fall, when the ivy has the first hint of red, and then again in the spring when the leaves are small and more delicate looking. It might take a while, but you will eventually be successful. Also, the hairy poison ivy in trees can be cut off near ground level with loppers. One unfortunate thing is that birds can drop poison ivy seed, so it will keep trying to re-establish itself and you will need to always keep an eye out.

You can also keep the area mowed in summer if the area is flat enough. All this will serve to starve it out and the roots themselves will eventually die.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just keep at it with your removal program. Spray with RoundUp weed killer in the fall, when the ivy has the first hint of red, and then again in the spring when the leaves are small and more delicate looking. It might take a while, but you will eventually be successful. Also, the hairy poison ivy in trees can be cut off near ground level with loppers. One unfortunate thing is that birds can drop poison ivy seed, so it will keep trying to re-establish itself and you will need to always keep an eye out.

You can also keep the area mowed in summer if the area is flat enough. All this will serve to starve it out and the roots themselves will eventually die.
We have an area on the side that we keep mowed where occasionally some pops us. The area in the back can't be mowed. We did get rid of one hairy vine just past the property line but the others are further back in woods, that's why I think we are going to get runners even if we get rid of everything on our property. I will keep up with the brush killer, I was trying to avoid using it as much as possible and dig out or smother what we could. Thank you for the tips.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Sal,
Brush Be Gone.
Every year, because that stuff will grow back forever.
I don't think you will ever really get rid of all of it.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Round-up every time you see new growth trying to start up. The plants will eventually die from lack of nutrients.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden