Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM

185 posts, read 245,399 times

Advertisements

Hotzcaz,

U got it all. Time to get out the dynamite..LOL . Lots of bulldozers, bring in the heavy equipment..

How are u planning to get rid of the grass...not mowed in 27 yrs.? A huge tractor till and till and spray and spray ...

We had a pampas grass that grew bigger than the shed its seed spread everywhere. Talk about a plant from hell . We tried everything poisoning, digging up, freezing didn't do it . We finally got rid of it by torching it. Had to get permission by the fire dept they come on the property as standby.

Some non-native grasses here are taking over the rivers and clogging the waters from natural fish. It all has to be pulled out by hand in our rivers. It grows so fast. A lot of grasses sold are invasive. Nurseries should have a better list of invasive plants to not sell to customers in states that have the right environment to become invasive and over grow natural plants.

The pampas grass has taken over the costal waters of Ca. And create a horrible fire hazard in summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 04:40 PM

284 posts, read 492,360 times
My neighbour (in Canada, hence the spelling) planted a walnut tree about 20 years ago and that thing is now HUGE! Maybe 40 feet high and 30 feet or more wide, shading my yard, dropping walnuts which make your hands black when you pick them up (and getting buried by squirrels to start new trees if you don't) and dropping leaves on twigs about a foot long, which clog my rain gutters. Complete pest!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Hi Geezerrunner,

We have a few black walnut trees in this neighborhood. Some neighbours have legally cut the branches encroaching on their property, to prevent some of the mess. Nothing grows under them. In the US the are laws for this type of issue. They are messy, clog up gutters and clog street drains when it rains.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM

That is so inconsiderate of UR neighbor. All u can do legally is poisoning the roots on UR property and cut back the runners on UR property. If asking the neighbor to keep it in check and no response... Then u really have no other choice. What build a fence 30' tall for a creeping rose .. Just to keep it off UR property then UR building a trellis for their problem. What would our dear Joan Rivers say?...

Old 06-10-2016, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 652 times
UGH. Right there with you on trumpet vine. I moved to a new home in October and had about eight plants growing along, and nearly taking down, a 8' tall privacy fence. I have cut down/dug out/poisoned/pulled out/stepped on/hacked at/mowed over (get the picture) all but one of them. It is nearly impossible to kill, and sends out runners a stunning distance away. If it stayed well behaved in one spot that would be fine, but when it powers out the perennials I'm trying to grow and sends up shoots all over my yard, it's a plant I don't want. The blooms are beautiful and the birds love it as a place to hang out on the way to the feeder. The hummers love it too of course. BUT - the one remaining plant is coming down in the spring.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:24 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
This is a fun thread to read even though it's an old one. I'm sure those problem plants are still problems! A couple of years ago I planted Mexican Feather Grass in several containers on my terrace. It looked nice but I noticed that it shed long thin blades of grass all summer that blew and stuck onto the other plants so I didn't repeat it the following year. What I did find that next year were lots and lots of very fine grasses growing up through the pea pebbles ready to spring into full-blown Mexican Feather Grass! I managed to stay on top of pulling them all out but that grass, pretty as it is, is now on my Do-Not-Plant list!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
I don't like plants with thorns, so I've cut down or pulled up every sticker bush at any house I've owned.

I don't like Silver Maples, either. Thankfully a tornado took care of that problem. Except for the clean up... My problem with the Silver Maple isn't just that they're ugly and weak, they attract Box Elder Bugs:

I haven't seen any of these bugs since the trees were, um, removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden