Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,021 times

Advertisements

I've had four failed attempts at growing this tree, I can get them to sprout and grow between 3 1/2" and 4" then the leaves dry up and fall off with the trunk remaining alive and green for over a year now with no change.
I've been growing them indoors with airflow in a pot 12" and 5" deep for the long roots, well drained, always damp with high quality potting soil, full sun or grow lamp in the day and I always get the same results, about 4" tall with 3-4 true leaves then the leaves just dry up and fall off, I put two of the plants outside in the Fall incase it was a seasonal cycle and now in the Spring the plant is still the same, a green, flexible twig sticking out of the pot and my two newest seedlings planted and grown indoors in the early spring, now outside are having their leaves fall off, lowest temperature for my newest plants outside has been 7C/45F and up to 17C/63F.

Any ideas? These things are supposed to be hard to kill in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Go find one in nature and dig up one of the larger seedlings underneath it. Much easier than starting from seed.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:42 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
I saw one of those on a garden tour. They are wicked looking! Are they common in your area? We have only the thornless type here with the rare exception.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I'm perplexed - why on earth would you want to grow a thorny honey locust? They are a viciously nasty tree to be around, especially while in the shrub stage. Their thorns are absolutely wicked, and they also put out suckers, so if you do grow one successfully and then want to get rid of it, it will be very difficult. I cut the seedlings I find on my lake lot down as soon as I find them. They're considered an invasive nuisance tree around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden