Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:40 AM

31 posts, read 333,939 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your suggestions and sharing your experiences.

I contact arborists in my area, and so far only one of them have given me a quote, and this is what he said, based on the photos I've shown him (the same one I've posted here, including the new ones I've attached to this post):

Him: " I'll take it down, haul brush and leave wood for $200. Or take it down and leave everything cut up in a pile for $150."

Me: "If we plan to sell the wood, is it best to not cut up the wood? Or, if we give you the wood and you can go sell it off, what discount would you give us?"

Him: "The wood is not big enough in diameter to keep full length for something to make. You would want to cut it up. I definitely do not want the wood. It wouldn't just cost me labor and money to haul it off."

So that's where I'm at so far. His competitors should be contacting me soon and giving me their quotes.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do about a backyard redwood tree threatening towards my house?-dsc06540.jpg   What to do about a backyard redwood tree threatening towards my house?-dsc06542.jpg   What to do about a backyard redwood tree threatening towards my house?-dsc06541.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 PM

Another arborist came and gave me a quote for $300, and he suggested to take down the other redwood tree next to it too, because it might become a problem in about 10 years, and doing it then will be a lot more expensive. He said he could take down that one too for a total of $500, and he does it the right way, with controlled fall that won't hit anything, and with two rescue climbers on-site according to OSHA's rules.

He also said if we wanted to keep the other tree, we could just put a root barrier in (dig a 12-inch deep trench and put in a plastic barrier, on the side that faces the house). He recommended we either do it ourselves or hire a gardener, since him doing it will cost a lot more.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Really up to you if you want to keep the wood. For me, that would be firewood for use in my firepit, or wood burning fireplace. When I cut my trees down, I kept some of it. Didn't really make a difference in cost on my end.

Unsure how much fireplaces are used out there, but here, all you need to do is put a feeler out on Craigslist and you'll have someone coming to take that firewood off your hands in less than an hour.

I'd probably go with the more professional contractor. $500, and take down two trees.

Earlier this year I took down 8 large trees. I got quotes in the $5-7K range.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:18 PM

I just talked to another arborist on the phone and it was an unpleasant experience. Someone from that company had called me yesterday, and didn't even bother looking at the photos or reading what I wrote about my situation (I included the link to this thread and said all the details are posted in the thread), and then just kept repeating that if they would charge $150 for any kind of consultation that would require their knowledge/expertise, and if they do a free estimate, it's strictly to quote a price for something you already decided for sure you want to do. She kept talking over me as if to suppress my speech. When I told her that her competitors already came out to my house to look or looked at the photos and read my description of the problem, and not only did they give me quotes, they patiently answered all of my questions and gave me their opinion on what I should do, what my alternatives were, including the option to do the root barrier on the second tree and how to do it. And she just kept repeating that any consultation would cost $150, so I said fine, just come and quote me a price, and we set a date.

Then this morning, they called again, and I thought it was the same woman, because she also kept talking over me and kept repeating the same thing about the $150 charge for consultation. It got to the point where I had to stop her and tell her that the way she kept talking over me was really unpleasant, and as a friendly advice, she might want to pay attention to her tendency to do that, and that she might not be aware she's doing it. Turned out it's a different woman and she's the owner (arborist's wife), and I told her the woman I talked to yesterday was doing the exact same thing and it was really unpleasant. When she learned that her competitors already gave me quotes and a lot of advice and did not charge me consultation fee, she grilled me on who they were, what kind of license they had, and so on. I told her they had D49 licence and rescue climbers on every job, she then asked if they have this and that license as well, and if they're registered with this and that organization. Of course that's not something I would know.

And when I told her that I have been documenting the entire experience in this thread and she really ought to just look at link I sent her to this thread and will know everything she needs to know about my situation, she refused and said she's too busy to look at this thread. I told her that if them coming and simply telling me if they think the second tree should also be removed along with the first tree and then quote me a price is going to cost me $150 extra, then that's not very reasonable, because none of her competitors did anything like that, and they have been very patient and accommodating. She basically said, that's them, and we do charge $150 for any kind of consultation, and it just went round and round like that. So I eventually told her that I don't think I'll be doing business with her company.

Just sharing my experience so far with all of you.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Practices undoubtedly vary by area, but, IMO, charging you $150 to just drop by and eyeball the situation is WAY out of line.

I suspect that very few people are taking them up on their "offer", and that is why she was doing her best to bulldoze you.

You do want to make sure they are bonded, licensed, and insured, but any professional arborist will be able to tell you what it will take to cut down your tree(s), no out-of-the-ordinary certifications are required.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunatiqueRob View Post
I just talked to another arborist on the phone and it was an unpleasant experience. Someone from that company had called me yesterday, and didn't even bother looking at the photos or reading what I wrote about my situation (I included the link to this thread and said all the details are posted in the thread), and then just kept repeating that if they would charge $150 for any kind of consultation that would require their knowledge/expertise, and if they do a free estimate, it's strictly to quote a price for something you already decided for sure you want to do. She kept talking over me as if to suppress my speech. When I told her that her competitors already came out to my house to look or looked at the photos and read my description of the problem, and not only did they give me quotes, they patiently answered all of my questions and gave me their opinion on what I should do, what my alternatives were, including the option to do the root barrier on the second tree and how to do it. And she just kept repeating that any consultation would cost $150, so I said fine, just come and quote me a price, and we set a date.

Then this morning, they called again, and I thought it was the same woman, because she also kept talking over me and kept repeating the same thing about the $150 charge for consultation. It got to the point where I had to stop her and tell her that the way she kept talking over me was really unpleasant, and as a friendly advice, she might want to pay attention to her tendency to do that, and that she might not be aware she's doing it. Turned out it's a different woman and she's the owner (arborist's wife), and I told her the woman I talked to yesterday was doing the exact same thing and it was really unpleasant. When she learned that her competitors already gave me quotes and a lot of advice and did not charge me consultation fee, she grilled me on who they were, what kind of license they had, and so on. I told her they had D49 licence and rescue climbers on every job, she then asked if they have this and that license as well, and if they're registered with this and that organization. Of course that's not something I would know.

And when I told her that I have been documenting the entire experience in this thread and she really ought to just look at link I sent her to this thread and will know everything she needs to know about my situation, she refused and said she's too busy to look at this thread. I told her that if them coming and simply telling me if they think the second tree should also be removed along with the first tree and then quote me a price is going to cost me $150 extra, then that's not very reasonable, because none of her competitors did anything like that, and they have been very patient and accommodating. She basically said, that's them, and we do charge $150 for any kind of consultation, and it just went round and round like that. So I eventually told her that I don't think I'll be doing business with her company.

Just sharing my experience so far with all of you.

well, technically she was providing you consultation on the phone so it seems you still owe them the $150

Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
What is routine for the contractor may require a lot of hand holding for the customer...

Some contractors simply are not interested and for others they do not have time if they are otherwise busy with established customers.

The last tree job I had done was 2 months back... I called the owner and told him I needed some tree work and gave him the number and marked them with caution tape...

Didn't even get a quote as he has always been most fair and carries all the licenses and certifications...

What I am trying to say is job of a couple of hundred dollars has little profit so many do not want to be bothered...

I do a lot of contracting for work... my best guys I will often do time and materials... almost always a better price as they are not assuming or padding the bill for unforeseen problems...

Old 11-20-2016, 03:58 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
It's maddening when landscapers plant trees much too close together (what are they thinking?!), or too close to the house. Such a waste. And why on earth choose redwoods, out of all the options? Madness.

Check first with your local city or county to see if redwoods are a protected specie. You may not be allowed to remove them. You can trim the branches encroaching on your roof, but you might not be able to remove the trees. And if you are allowed to remove them, note that they can regrow from stumps. The stump would have to be removed, too. Any sprouts of regrowth would rely on the existing root system.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
OP, I see you've added a new photo. The trees are smaller than I imagined, but it's clear the yard is much too small for even a single redwood. Also, a root barrier wouldn't stop those redwood roots, IMO. The photo you had before that was a close-up of one of the roots was formidable. Keep in mind that even if a barrier would work (I doubt it), your neighbor there won't appreciate having redwood roots in his yard and plumbing; that house next door is very close to your yard.

I think you should have both removed, by the business that sent someone out to give you an estimate. Judging by how much time they spent with you and how much info they gave you, they sound like a good outfit. After the job is done, you can consult with nursery staff and horticulturalists, to get ideas of what type of tree would work in that yard, and where it would be best to plant it.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:24 PM

997 posts, read 936,775 times
It looks they are small enough to be removed now. You have to do it if you can because those trees are your responsibility and liability.

I have them surrounding my property, but not on my property. One is extremely hazardous and sends down 'widow makers' every year. It is over my house and it DOES cause damage. It has taken out my power lines and damaged my house and a car. The neighbor who owns it usually fixes the damage and they pay to have it maintained.

This year, I mentioned that it needed attention and they had it thinned. I think the bill was between 3 and 4 thousand and that would have to be done every so often. That is no guarantee against damage but it is due diligence on their part.

You have to take them out now while you have the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden