Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what variety of Hydrangea that you see growing close to peoples houses that have BIG WHITE blooms that turn Green when they get older???

I want to get the right variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
This might help:
All About Hydrangeas -Green Blooms
Hydranges are strange...I have some that bloom like crazy and the next year nothing !!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
This might help:
Hydranges are strange...I have some that bloom like crazy and the next year nothing !!
Thank you. That's a great link. I'll study it tonight.

But, isn't the reason that they don't bloom because some only bloom on old wood???

I don't know... gotta learn about them. I love the dried blooms!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Here's another site :
Hydrangea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They do bloom on old wood. Which is why I don't prune mine...but they should be pruned somewhat, and that's why I probably have problems with them...I have to do some studying ,too, so next year maybe I'll get some nice blue ones

Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Does anyone know what variety of Hydrangea that you see growing close to peoples houses that have BIG WHITE blooms that turn Green when they get older???

I want to get the right variety.
What are do you live in? And how tall are the shrubs?

My best guess is that you might be referring to Hydrangea Annabelle.

Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle'

This variety flowers on new wood.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
This might help:
Given your location, I suspect you are referring to hydrangea macrophylla varieties. This type flowers on buds set the previous year. Depending on the placement location and weather, most likely the buds die off during some winters.

Hydrangea Paniculata varieties reliably flower on new wood. Limelight, Quick Fire and Pinky Winky are newer spectacular varieties destined to replace Grandflora and PEE-GEE hybrids.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What are do you live in? And how tall are the shrubs?

My best guess is that you might be referring to Hydrangea Annabelle.

Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle'

This variety flowers on new wood.
You know, I moved to Missouri recently. I've been up north for years. Up north there's an abundance of hydrangea's like I described that people plant next to their houses as foundation planting. I would say they're about maximum 5 foot tall and wide -- but you prune them so I don't know what the correct answer is about the size.

What's important to me is that I want the BLOOMS to be big -- about 3" - 4" across. I love those blooms when they're dried!

I was looking at that site yesterday and now I'm not sure what will grow here in the "south"....

I found out that I need to move the one gift plant that I set out. Apparently, they need morning sun and afternoon shade.

I like white blooms ... that turn green (but apparently they all do)

There was one on there that had pink tinged edges that might be o.k. I just don't want colored blooms.

So... what do I want to buy for this area???

Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Do they grow in Florida? I bought a pink hydrangea tree from QVC last year and it never grew. I had it planted for almost a year and recently threw it out.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Annabelles grow in the south with no trouble. They do bloom on new wood. If it's a healthy plant, the blooms will get huge!

I had several for many years. But sad to say, some kind of fungus, root problem or something has started infecting them, (the leaves turned black and got yucky) so I have dug most of the unhealthy ones up. Whatever it is/was, I didn't want it spreading to other plants.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM

110 posts, read 373,194 times
The Annabelle's are grown here in Greenville, SC. They have some planted in Reedy River Falls Park and they are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden