Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 PM

300 posts, read 238,460 times

Advertisements

I have this Agapanthus that I bought from a reputable mail-order company. I have it in a container, and it appears very healthy, but has never flowered. The reason why I bought it, was because on one of my visits to Newport Beach, Rhode Island, I came across these potted, gorgeous, flowering ones in a beautiful shade of violet- blue, and I decide to buy one, but they were asking way too much money.

I keep it in my basement, during the winter, with temperatures around 60 degrees, away from windows, and it goes into dormancy well, then around the end of March, I bring it up to my family room, near a sunny window, water it, and wait for our Zone 7 last freeze, usually by the beginning of May, and then bring it out to the sun/shade deck, give it some fertilizer, water it, hoping that it will flower. It never has. It grows beautiful-green blades, It has been in the pot for two years. This year, I am planning to take it out of the container, cut some of the lower roots, and place it back in the same container, and hope for the best.

Some of the planting instructions state that it needs to be crowded into the container, and it is. Another person suggested that maybe it needs a more colder atmosphere through dormancy. The garages would be way too cold for it, so the basement will have to do.

Has anyone here ever had any luck with these gorgeous plants. originally from Southern California? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 07:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post

.... Another person suggested that maybe it needs a more colder atmosphere through dormancy. The garages would be way too cold for it, so the basement will have to do.

Has anyone here ever had any luck with these gorgeous plants. originally from Southern California? Thank you.
If your bulb is from the naturalized plants that grow in southern California and you're keeping it at 60 degrees while it's dormant for the winter that is too warm and it won't flower. For proper winter dormancy the bulb needs to be chilled to around 50 - 52 degrees, 55 maximum. Any warmer than that and the bulb gets confused because the temperature is too close to spring temps so it won't go into proper restful winter dormancy and that will interfere with its ability to flower.

It would be good if you could say exactly what kind of agapanthus it is and the climate it came from since there are several kinds of agapanthus as well as hybrids of them that have become adapted to different climates and temperatures and geographical locations. Some species of agapanthus are deciduous like yours (goes dormant for winter), some are evergreens, some have become adapted and naturalized to climates that are quite a bit colder than where all agapanthus plants originated from (South Africa) and some of them have adapted to much warmer climates.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Also, you don't mention how large the plant is. If you bought a plant in a 4" pot 2 years ago via mail order, it's still too little to bloom. Give it time.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
What zone are you? I am in zone 8, coastal Georgia, and I have a lovely clump of about 12 of them in semi shade. When I tried expand the area the new ones did not do well, since it was too wet where I planted them.

I wonder if your plant would be happier in the ground? Mine flower, without fail, every year.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:10 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP FY...IReasons For Agapanthus Not Flowering...
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...-flowering.htm

Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
I'm in the central valley of California...zones 7-8. Mine is in the ground. We've had it for gosh 30 plus yrs and it blooms every time.
Pretty soon when the weather warms a little bit more it will start blooming.

It's in a kind of shady spot, but it gets afternoon sunlight in the Spring and all thru summer.

Try putting it the ground, so it can spread out and multiply.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
was because on one of my visits to Newport Beach, Rhode Island,
Just so you know, there's no "Newport Beach" RI. It's just Newport, RI.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If your bulb is from the naturalized plants that grow in southern California and you're keeping it at 60 degrees while it's dormant for the winter that is too warm and it won't flower. For proper winter dormancy the bulb needs to be chilled to around 50 - 52 degrees, 55 maximum. Any warmer than that and the bulb gets confused because the temperature is too close to spring temps so it won't go into proper restful winter dormancy and that will interfere with its ability to flower.

It would be good if you could say exactly what kind of agapanthus it is and the climate it came from since there are several kinds of agapanthus as well as hybrids of them that have become adapted to different climates and temperatures and geographical locations. Some species of agapanthus are deciduous like yours (goes dormant for winter), some are evergreens, some have become adapted and naturalized to climates that are quite a bit colder than where all agapanthus plants originated from (South Africa) and some of them have adapted to much warmer climates.

I purchased it through McClure and Zimmerman, an excellent company, with a good reputation. It was a bulb, and it is about four or five years' old. The plant is coming up already, and gets about 20 inches tall. All by itself, the beautiful green leaves, are enough of a delight to watch it grow. I believe it is called Storm Blue, or something near that, because the color is a blue-violet, the most glorious color, I have ever seen.....It is no longer available on their site.

M&Z is located in Randolph, Wisconsin.

Zoisite, you may be right.......I am just afraid to put it in a lower temperature, and loose it. I just hope that it flowers before I die......(lol)

Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What zone are you? I am in zone 8, coastal Georgia, and I have a lovely clump of about 12 of them in semi shade. When I tried expand the area the new ones did not do well, since it was too wet where I planted them.

I wonder if your plant would be happier in the ground? Mine flower, without fail, every year.
gentlearts: I am in zone 7, in coastal Long Island, New York. but much colder than where you are. Putting it in the ground is not an option, since I have back medical issues. I have become a container gardener, which I love, because it is so much easy, and here because of the clay-soil, we need to put them in raise-beds.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Just so you know, there's no "Newport Beach" RI. It's just Newport, RI.
You are correct, however, I saw a beautiful beach there........!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden