Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:06 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times

Advertisements

This is a designation assigned to - winter low temperatures - and has nothing else to do with the kind of climate in which plants will perform and thrive. They only indicate the lowest winter temps a particular plant will tolerate. That's it, that's all it is, a one dimensional evaluation of expected winter low temperatures.

Other than that - - zone ratings are not a useful point of reference - -

USDA zones are NOT useful in any other way. NOT. They're no good, they confer no information.

Zone ratings do not indicate plant moisture needs, local humidity, rainfall, latitude, micro climate, growing season, days to maturity, soil composition, summer high temps, or any of a zillion other variables which affect plant performance in any particular place.

Please please please tell us *where* you are, and not what your worthless useless USDA zone is.

(I feel so frustrated by the mythology of USDA zoning)

Last edited by azoria; 05-20-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Makes complete sense to me. All of the garden forums I belong to have that info attached in my profile. I try to give as much information to avoid needless questions in that particular thread.
Actually, my screen name tells you exactly (geographically) where I live on Long Island.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Holy smokes,we see questions and conversations here day after day, year after year about what to grow in 'zone' whatever. It's almost completely irrelevant.

Those zoning designations were developed for agricultural purposes - Big Farma; not homeowners who are redesigning their yards or installing a pea patch or a flower bed.

Not to mention any poster who comes here and doesn't live in the US, other countries have their own designations.

The USDA zonings are a blight on the planting landscape.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
I understand your frustration, but many who post in sites like this are a novice at best. I would like to see a 'Read me first' sticky in all garden forums.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
azoria, don't know what your beef is with USDA zones. Climate zone IS a relevant factor for any plant material but annuals. Of course it does not tell the whole story, but it is the one factor over which a gardener has no control (ignoring greenhouses). Ignoring zone, AKA winter minimums, is one thing that keeps shrub growers in business - replacing stock lost in exceptionally cold winters.

Actually, zones mean less than you give them credit for, since winter kill is a function of timing (hardened plants do better), duration of chill - hours or days and available moisture.

I'm zone 5, and know from experience that plants from zone 6 are not a good investment.

Finally, if you knew of the work of the National Arboretum, you'd know how silly your comments are on "big farma" (and such a silly word play on your part) .

Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Also, check out Sunset Magazine's garden zones.

- Search Results | Sunset

Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Yes, Sunset's are a bit more detailed, and presumably include things like summer temps, although I've never seen a discussion. They do have zones for the whole country, and tie them into their descriptions. No one else seems to use them, though.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:34 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
The zones are a guide telling the average person the approximate minimum temp that is expected in that area. It gives a person the basics on whether or not a plant has a decent chance of surviving in a certain area due to cold. Most people that have experience gardening know this. It doesn't take into consideration summer heat, humidity or lack of and other things like micro-climates.
I'm not sure what people expect. It's a guide, not a Bible.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Yes, Sunset's are a bit more detailed, and presumably include things like summer temps, although I've never seen a discussion. They do have zones for the whole country, and tie them into their descriptions. No one else seems to use them, though.
Agreed, Sunset put's a lot more information into the mix and gives you a better total picture of what you can grow in your area. The average person doesn't even know Sunset exists. I work in a retail nursery and rarely does anyone ask about the Sunset zones. It's always about USDA zones.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I disagree, OP.

I live in Zone 5, more specifically, Zone 5B which means I am Not in Zone 5A, of course.

It's nice to know WHICH Peach Tree I can plant that will tolerate our winters, as I am certainly NOT in Georgia!

There is one apple that I LOVE to eat, and it will NOT grow in my climate zone, but will in PNW, and south of here, but not too far south. So it will be STUPID {WhICH I am NOT} to buy/plant one in my back yard.

Although I am NOT STUPID, it is also nice to know things like that my Orange Bird of Paradise will NOT survive our winters, SO it is an indoor plant only! Nor will Hybiscus survive outside, Unless it is a HARDY Hybiscus.

It isn't meant to be and certainly isn't the end-all to be-all, but it certainly is a good guideline for more successful planting! It keeps people from buying plants that WON'T tolerate certain GENERAL climate rules, so nurseries don't have to refund monies to people who DO DO things like plant a BOP outdoors,and Helps keep customers happier to know they can successfully grow what they can plant, or what is "native plantings" to their area.

Finally, regarding shipping, I place orders in winter for spring/summer planting ,it helps to know {again I'M NOT STUPID} {but for those who are}...it helps to know that if I order a plant in January or February that it won't be shipped until MAY, as the plant will freeze in shipping, even 2 day shipping {at least is a HIGH risk}.

Speaking of shipping in MAy, I have to call and find out where my Feb order is! Thanks for the reminder....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden