Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:51 AM

5,029 posts, read 10,758,751 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love milkweed and have a bunch in my garden. However, this year it hasn't come up like it usually does. In fact, I have several plants that had started to come up but, then, just petered out. Initially, I noticed a white substance on them and they have subsequently been attacked and eaten by red bugs (I think neolemas).

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why this would have happened...? The only thing that I can think of is that we have had a wetter-than-usual Spring, which has caused mildew to grow on them, weaken them and enable the bugs to take advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,378,980 times
I also have milkweed. Usually pull it up, but left a small stand this year. Can you please educate me on why you so love milkweed? I know it is butterfly habitat and has those little yellow flowers in early fall. Any other reasons not to pull it us like other wild flowers (weeds)? This is not a snarky post. I left it this year because it was also planted in our school garden. Please enlighten me.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:08 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,121,116 times
I have noticed this also. I have roughly eight Asclepias Incarnata 'swamp milkweed', That have been in the ground for five years, and everyone of them are only a little taller than knee high with very small flower buds. Normally they will grow to six foot in height, with massive flower heads. My Jacobs Cline 'Bee Balm is also having the same problem. Short in height with underwhelming flower heads. But my common milkweed is growing like nobodies business, with new shoots popping up everywhere. I'm thinking too wet a spring also is the cause.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I also have milkweed. Usually pull it up, but left a small stand this year. Can you please educate me on why you so love milkweed? I know it is butterfly habitat and has those little yellow flowers in early fall. Any other reasons not to pull it us like other wild flowers (weeds)? This is not a snarky post. I left it this year because it was also planted in our school garden. Please enlighten me.
Milkweed is the only plant a Monarch butterfly will lay it's eggs on. Many other plants will bring them into your garden, but without the milkweed they cannot reproduce.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Firstly, I love the scent when it blooms. It is also a native plant, which means that it is a food source for many native species, most notably the monarch butterfly whose populations are declining because of the decline in milkweed, which is its only food source. One monarch needs 30 milkweed to develop.

Milkweed for Monarchs - National Wildlife Federation

However, bees are also attracted to milkweed, which is another reason why I love them. Bees are integral to a healthy garden and are important pollinators of native species. However, their populations have been in decline recently due to habitat loss and the use of pesticides. Planting bee-friendly native plants and not using pesticide can help sustain their populations:

Bee Populations Decline Due to Pesticides, Habitat Loss | Time.com

A lot of native insects can only feed from native plants, which is why I plant them exclusively in my garden.

Native Plants - National Wildlife Federation

Old 07-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I have noticed this also. I have roughly eight Asclepias Incarnata 'swamp milkweed', That have been in the ground for five years, and everyone of them are only a little taller than knee high with very small flower buds. Normally they will grow to six foot in height, with massive flower heads. My Jacobs Cline 'Bee Balm is also having the same problem. Short in height with underwhelming flower heads. But my common milkweed is growing like nobodies business, with new shoots popping up everywhere. I'm thinking too wet a spring also is the cause.
I am so glad to hear that your common milkweed is doing well. I should have specified that I have the common type in my garden. The situation is very strange, as a few plants are fine while others look sickly.

Just wondering if I should do anything? Pull up the sickly ones and reseed? Or just leave it alone and see how it does next year?

On a happier note, I threw down some Asclepias tuberosa seed a couple of years ago and it *finally* came up this Spring. It isn't very tall but it looks healthy.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am so glad to hear that your common milkweed is doing well. I should have specified that I have the common type in my garden. The situation is very strange, as a few plants are fine while others look sickly.

Just wondering if I should do anything? Pull up the sickly ones and reseed? Or just leave it alone and see how it does next year?

On a happier note, I threw down some Asclepias tuberosa seed a couple of years ago and it *finally* came up this Spring. It isn't very tall but it looks healthy.
Common milkweed once established is very hardy. Yeah some years it may not do so well, but really no need to pull it. Funny you mention tuberosa. Last year I pulled all of mine out. They always looked scraggly, and the monarch cats never really cared for them. Now tropical milkweed 'Asclepias curassavica' is like candy to them, which I grow every year.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Common milkweed once established is very hardy. Yeah some years it may not do so well, but really no need to pull it. Funny you mention tuberosa. Last year I pulled all of mine out. They always looked scraggly, and the monarch cats never really cared for them. Now tropical milkweed 'Asclepias curassavica' is like candy to them, which I grow every year.
If you look at one of the links that I recently posted, it states that the tropical milkweed is actually harmful to monarchs. However, there are many that refer to such statements as a "smear campaign." The Xerxes society seems to provide an intelligent explanation:

https://xerces.org/milkweed-faq/#1

What are your thoughts on Tropical Milkweed?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
If you look at one of the links that I recently posted, it states that the tropical milkweed is actually harmful to monarchs. However, there are many that refer to such statements as a "smear campaign." The Xerxes society seems to provide an intelligent explanation:

https://xerces.org/milkweed-faq/#1

What are your thoughts on Tropical Milkweed?
I fully agree with what the Xerxes society has stated on the matter. I don't normally plant non-native plants in my gardens, but after reading up on the benefits this plant provides for the northern monarchs I made an exception.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I fully agree with what the Xerxes society has stated on the matter. I don't normally plant non-native plants in my gardens, but after reading up on the benefits this plant provides for the northern monarchs I made an exception.
Good to know. I have never planted it but may consider doing so now.

I love the Xerxes Society, thank God for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden