Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,179,721 times

Advertisements

It is from previous home owner, there are two white chairs and one metal desk.

They look very old, and I am not sure if I should paint it or throw it away. How much does it "worth" if I paint it? Or how much does it cost if I buy a brand new one (same product), assuming there are same product on the market. I think it is better to know a little bit about its value before deciding if throwing it away.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I paint the patio desk or throw it away?-desk.jpg   Should I paint the patio desk or throw it away?-white-chair.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
I've had old patio furniture like that before. When that kind of material gets that old and rusty the stability and strength of the material has become compromised and weak so even if you paint over it now there would still be the risk of it to continue rusting under the paint and breaking under stress of any weight put on it. Somebody might get badly hurt. After seeing that rust, and seeing how they are already bent in places, I know I wouldn't trust any of it to sit on even if it was painted again.

You could spray paint it and use it right in the garden for decorative purposes, to hold decorations or small containers of flowering plants or gardening tools or what have you ..... or else get rid of it ..... but personally I think you should get new patio furniture for sitting on safely on your deck.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,179,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've had old patio furniture like that before. When that kind of material gets that old and rusty the stability and strength of the material has become compromised and weak so even if you paint over it now there would still be the risk of it to continue rusting under the paint and breaking under stress of any weight put on it. Somebody might get badly hurt. After seeing that rust, and seeing how they are already bent in places, I know I wouldn't trust any of it to sit on even if it was painted again.

You could spray paint it and use it right in the garden for decorative purposes, to hold decorations or small containers of flowering plants or gardening tools or what have you ..... or else get rid of it ..... but personally I think you should get new patio furniture for sitting on safely on your deck.

Yes, I need to get rid of them before buying new furniture, otherwise there will be no enough room.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:37 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Personally I would do a preliminary coat of Rustoleum Rust Neutralizer (I tried to find to find my cans in the Hoosier but the bottom door is stuck); that will prevent the rust from eating through the metal any further. Then you can topcoat with any of the many Rustoleum spray paints - they even have some wild metallic shades now, or some really bright primary colors if you want the set to stand out. I'm going to use this method on two antique metal chairs that have so much rust they make your set look absolutely pristine!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
I agree with using Rustoleum, and used it on an old metal patio set, for sprucing up MIL house to sell. I sprayed a coat of Rustoleum primer, then used a bright green. The table and chairs looked new and modern and with some melamine dishes, very appealing. Give it a try, for 20.00 or so, it's way less than spending several hundred on a new set. They also have plastic paint which I used on her poolside chair. Got good results with that too.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
If you decide to get rid of it set it out by the curbside and within 30 minutes it'll be off your hands.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I'd also repaint if you think it is sturdy enough. Paint is relatively cheap. We periodically repaint our patio furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden