Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 03:09 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times

Advertisements

Have you kept all areas moist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Some big trees had been cut down, and the ground was covered with new grass seed. It was done by contractor.

I guess due to soil quality is quite different from spot to spot, I can see new grass on a few spots, while some grass seed not even germinate.

I have two questions:

1) When new grass (on most spots) reaches 6" and above, I would like to cut it down to 4" (not cutting more than 1/3). But I set mower to 4", I am concerned about those grass grew earlier. When new grass (on most spots) reaches 6", I am sure grass on some earlier spots can reach more than 10". For the first mowing, how can I cut it down from 10" to 4", that is too much. How should I set mower height?

2) I also had over seeding on existing lawn, now existing grass is very tall for mowing, while new grass seed has not germinated yet. Should I wait for new grass seed to reach 6"? Or should I go ahead and mow existing lawn?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 09:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Have you kept all areas moist?
^^Same question. And how long has it been in place. Grass never germinates at the same rate.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Your soil needed to be amended. Trees often leech soil. Next spring add whatever your soil needs. You can actually take a sample of your soil to your County Extension office and they can tell you what will help.

Otherwise, it is the middle of Oct. Where I live it is dormant season....snow is coming. Not sure about your location. Perhaps you can throw a bit of miracle grow for lawns onto that specific area if it is a real concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden