Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 36,325 times

Advertisements

Ok ok, so growing palms in the philly area (roughly 50 miles south, in Delaware) is not as easy or orthodox as growing in FL or CA, but can it be done? I ordered a 3ft windmill palm (which i plan on planting in my backyard in the spring) as well as a 1 year old (roughly 1.5 ft) Pindo palm which I plan on keeping indoors. Both are potted and will be on my back porch during the winter until about mid to late May. Does anyone have any experience with windmill palms in the philly area? Do I have ANY shot at all with planting a Pindo palm? Any help will be great I am a total noob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:29 PM

you can call me crazy just somebody please respond

Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
I'm no gardener, but I believe palms actually grow in the southern Delaware beach towns (bethany, etc.....)

Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM

that wouldn't surprise me. A USDA hardiness zone map I saw once had the beach area as zone 8, with the rest of the state as zone 7. The beaches were a microclimate, which I believe ran all the way down the peninsula.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
OK- your best bet is with a Windmill Palm. It will require winter protection for a few years and after that its a crap shoot.

A Pindo will require permanent winter protection. I have one here in Maryland and it will probably always be wrapped.

Do a search and you will find lots of posts from some of us who engage in this seemingly insane activity. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiss87 View Post
Ok ok, so growing palms in the philly area (roughly 50 miles south, in Delaware) is not as easy or orthodox as growing in FL or CA, but can it be done? I ordered a 3ft windmill palm (which i plan on planting in my backyard in the spring) as well as a 1 year old (roughly 1.5 ft) Pindo palm which I plan on keeping indoors. Both are potted and will be on my back porch during the winter until about mid to late May. Does anyone have any experience with windmill palms in the philly area? Do I have ANY shot at all with planting a Pindo palm? Any help will be great I am a total noob
I'm a palm grower. (Southern Cal). Delaware sounds a LITTLE cold to me, but Sunil's Dad's report of their growing there near the beach DOES sound possible. Years ago, I recall seeing a few in Norfolk, VA.

I'm not at all familiar with the East Coast...but palms ARE getting increasing interest, and are reportedly growing in some pretty amazing places. '

As far as I know, the 'windmill' (Trachycarpus Fortunae) is the cold-hardiest palm on earth. It is VERY common up to about 30' on the Oregon Coast, and I was surprised last year to see quite a few handsome 'clumps' growing in Vancouver, BC. There are a few inland, in places like Portland and Vancouver, WA, too. These inland locations do get winter 'cold snaps'...but whether their lows would compare with Delaware's, I couldn't say.

If ANY palm would survive your area, it would be the windmill, IMO. Good luck, and keep your fingers crossed...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I see windmill palms all over the place around here. I was thinking of planting one along the southeast side of my house myself. The more protected of an area you plant it in the better, and mulch it well. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 20,295 times
I hear you..I am here for a year or so coming from Jamaica..I am dying for tropics!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I've seen a few Palms in NYC (zone 7b/8a) including Windmill Palms, I always wanted to try a Sabal Palmetto and a Canary Island Date Palm here.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM

14 posts, read 20,690 times
Default Palm trees in Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiss87 View Post
you can call me crazy just somebody please respond
Needle palms can be grown south 0f 1-95 in areas such as Glasgow, Bear and Delaware City. Sabal minor (dwarf palmetto) have also survived as well. The shore areas from Lewes southward have grown windmill palms and also european fan palm in protected spots. If your local HD or Lowes doesn't sell outdoor hardy palms go to www.tytyga.com to find the several palms which have been successful in Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden