Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Bolstered by my success in growing pickling cucumbers on my streetside balcony (protected by building) I am thinking of expanding my container garden onto the flat rooftop terrace of our condo building. There's a hose up there, and nothing else going on. The terrace is protected by a 4' solid wall and is oceanfront.

I googled it for a couple hours but got minimal advice (mostly landscaping/on the ground). I am interested mainly in veg's we cannot get here, or that are so superior when home-grown. Like strawberries, green beans, tomatoes. Maybe winter squash. We can get the brassica family here, so no point in messing with those, though they are suggested. Store tomatoes and strawberries are as tasteless as store-bought in the U.S.

A second question is about sweet corn. There isn't any here. Though I read it did not do well by the sea, the plot of land (not container for this) I have in mind is totally protected from wind and spray---walls all around. I would love to grow some; really miss it.

It's 75 to 85 all year around---this is the equator. Rather humid but not unbearably so. Often partly-cloudy.

Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
If you made a raised bed, with plenty of organic material, you should be able to grow just about any vegetable or fruit you want. Mainly, you want to avoid using the natural soil, which will probably have a high salt content. Most vegetables aren't very tolerant of a high salt content.

If you DO decide to use your natural soil, amend it with a LOT of organic material. Compost, aged manure, etc.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
" Like strawberries, green beans, tomatoes. Maybe winter squash. "

I think strawberries need cold time, but the others should be fine. Corn is VERY susceptible to wind and can grow 7 or 8 feet tall. It might need some guide wires to lean on in winds. I'm not sure what pests you might get. Bird netting might be needed, especially on the tomatoes.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Thanks. Strawberries are big in SoCal and I grew them there, so not sure about the cold requirement.
Corn would be protected with walls. Not using native soil....it will be an experiment!

Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
No cold time, I’m aware off. I saw them growing in the field near my house. I got 75 free strawberry plants coming next year, I’m not sure I have space for them, I might call my brother to give him some plants.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Container gardens will be heavy, even if you use a light soil mix. Be sure the flat roof and underlying structure is strong enough to bear the load of a garden.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
I have grown green beans (haricot vert type not the shelly beans) in large containers successfully (I cut 50 gallon food grade plastic containers in half). I prefer the pole type because they bear over a longer period whereas the bush type beans come on all at one time, too many beans at once that I do not want to can or freeze. I want them fresh.

One of my favorite beans for taste is an Italian called Trionfo Violetto. It is purple podded but turns green when cooked. Such a nice flavor, not tough and very productive.

Tomatoes of course grow very well in containers although I have given them up due to pests and diseases and not wanting to apply pesticides. But I lie, I always try to grow a cherry type that matures quicker than pests can kill. Black Cherry is one of my faves. Larger tomatoes take so long to mature, so much can go wrong, at least for me.

With your climate you should look at what Florida gardeners grow, not in summer (too hot) but in winter/spring. Sweet potatoes, collards, mustard greens are southern veggies.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Florida grows a lot of berries in the winter, but I think it is probably going to be a little too warm for berries in your climate. For example, the county festival for Tampa’s county is the strawberry festival, but it tends to be in the 50s at night and 70s in the day from Dec-Feb. My grandmother had container gardens and liked to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, etc. She really should look at what can be grown from central Florida on down where they get more into the tropical plants.

Sweet potatoes, collards, and mustard greens are farther north, and I think the OP’s climate may be too warm for that.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Florida grows a lot of berries in the winter, but I think it is probably going to be a little too warm for berries in your climate. For example, the county festival for Tampa’s county is the strawberry festival, but it tends to be in the 50s at night and 70s in the day from Dec-Feb. My grandmother had container gardens and liked to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, etc. She really should look at what can be grown from central Florida on down where they get more into the tropical plants.

Sweet potatoes, collards, and mustard greens are farther north, and I think the OP’s climate may be too warm for that.
It's true that Florida has different climates but collards, mustard greens and sweet potatoes are grown all the state including very southern Florida. I grew the veggies suggested when we lived in Naples FL where there is hardly any winter. Never had luck with cucumbers, spinach or yellow (summer) squash but skip trying to grow in south Florida summers. Crazy hot and humid.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:12 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
It's true that Florida has different climates but collards, mustard greens and sweet potatoes are grown all the state including very southern Florida. I grew the veggies suggested when we lived in Naples FL where there is hardly any winter. Never had luck with cucumbers, spinach or yellow (summer) squash but skip trying to grow in south Florida summers. Crazy hot and humid.
Malabar spinach works, the other varieties are cold weather. Squash is subject to blossom end rot and nematodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden