Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 05:10 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times

Advertisements

Now that Spring has Sprung every yard in my area has turned green except mine. For years I had a nice healthy lawn, but it started to look more anemic last year during a late summer drought. Now, while all neighbors surrounding me are green, my yard is brown (mud) and tan (dead grass). But, what is truly bizarre is that my little tenth of an acre is covered in hundreds of shallow round holes about 3/4 of an inch in diameter, 3/4 inch apart, laid out in a grid pattern. I do not subscribe to a lawn service that might have aerated the lawn. I have never seen anything remotely like it and did not turn up anything by Googling. Can anybody tell me what is going on and how to fix it??

I took a pic but can't figure out how to post it on here without being required to pay for a picture hosting service.

Last edited by ersatz; 03-28-2020 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Pictures tell the whole story, or at least part of it. Go onto City data's FAQ pages and click on how to add photos to City Data.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

I took a pic but can't figure out how to post it on here without being required to pay for a picture hosting service.
You don't have to pay for a picture hosting service. Use one like imgur.com

It is free and easy/intuitive to use.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Now that Spring has Sprung every yard in my area has turned green except mine. For years I had a nice healthy lawn, but it started to look more anemic last year during a late summer drought. Now, while all neighbors surrounding me are green, my yard is brown (mud) and tan (dead grass). But, what is truly bizarre is that my little tenth of an acre is covered in hundreds of shallow round holes about 3/4 of an inch in diameter, 3/4 inch apart, laid out in a grid pattern. I do not subscribe to a lawn service that might have aerated the lawn. I have never seen anything remotely like it and did not turn up anything by Googling. Can anybody tell me what is going on and how to fix it??

Have you downloaded the picture to your computer? If you have it on your computer then open a new reply to post message page, scroll down to "additional options" and click on the box that says "manage attachments" and a window will pop up that allows you to browse your computer and select the photo and download it from your computer to the forum.

Re: the grid pattern of depressions in your lawn have you seen any birds or any other small animals picking and digging at the soil? Have you seen any sign of big grey grubs/larvae in the soil? I ask because what you describe sounds like the grid pattern depressions that birds often leave behind when they are picking out a very heavy infestation of crane fly (leather jacket) grubs/larvae that are killing grass roots at this time of year. I'd suggest the first thing you do is go inspect the soil in between the depressions and look for very tiny holes, poke around deep into the small holes with a stick and see if you can turn up any grubs that look anything like these pictured below. Look at all the pictures. Once you can identify the problem that's half the problem solved. It would be REALLY helpful if you can post pictures.

https://www.google.ca/search?sa=X&q=...w=1120&bih=583

Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Have you downloaded the picture to your computer? If you have it on your computer then open a new reply to post message page, scroll down to "additional options" and click on the box that says "manage attachments" and a window will pop up that allows you to browse your computer and select the photo and download it from your computer to the forum.

Re: the grid pattern of depressions in your lawn have you seen any birds or any other small animals picking and digging at the soil? Have you seen any sign of big grey grubs/larvae in the soil? I ask because what you describe sounds like the grid pattern depressions that birds often leave behind when they are picking out a very heavy infestation of crane fly (leather jacket) grubs/larvae that are killing grass roots at this time of year. I'd suggest the first thing you do is go inspect the soil in between the depressions and look for very tiny holes, poke around deep into the small holes with a stick and see if you can turn up any grubs that look anything like these pictured below. Look at all the pictures. Once you can identify the problem that's half the problem solved. It would be REALLY helpful if you can post pictures.

https://www.google.ca/search?sa=X&q=...w=1120&bih=583

Thank you Zoisite, your upload instructions are very helpful and clear.

I tried looking as you suggested, and dug around in a number of spots, but did not see any grubs. The thatch of the dead grass is very thick. Photo attached. It is a closeup, as the holes are not noticeable in a distance shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Please Tell Me What The Heck Is Going On With My Yard-lawn-holes.jpg  

Old 03-29-2020, 09:20 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
This may sound stupid, but any chance that a neighbor order aeration on their property and the address got screwed up? Is it confined to a single area or all over the lawn?

Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 AM

The holes cover about 3/4 of my 1/10 acre front lawn. But, only the front yard and not the back. I am currently self isolating because I have a nasty cough, thanks to spring pollen allergies, that scares people so I stay home. I am out gardening every day, and most of my windows face the lawn. I would have noticed if somebody was working in my yard. The holes appeared in my lawn sometime in the last couple of days. Overnight, I guess, because I did not see anything unusual happening during the day.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:33 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This may sound stupid, but any chance that a neighbor order aeration on their property and the address got screwed up? Is it confined to a single area or all over the lawn?
That's what I was going to say. The holes look uniform. Maybe someone was walking around with spikes or aerating shoes?

Dont think its an animal

Old 03-29-2020, 11:30 AM

45 posts, read 30,244 times
I do not know what it might be, but I would give the lawn a good raking to remove the thatch, and then reseed it with one of those products that have seed mixed with fertilizer and binder. And maybe a treatment of pesticide for grubs just in case.

Kind of looks like football cleats.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's what I was going to say. The holes look uniform. Maybe someone was walking around with spikes or aerating shoes?

Dont think its an animal
I "third" this idea. Too uniform to be random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden