Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 09:50 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times

Advertisements

Okay.. Looks like chipmunks for the win!! The holes are bigger than most of the ones they dig into my plants but I just had a couple of fellas take a look and they said definitely chipmunks. UGH... gonna have to get a chipmunkinator.

Thanks for all the input!!

I still don't know what the little perfectly round holes are tho... I forgot to have them take a look at one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 10:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
armadillos or wild hogs?

Old 02-07-2020, 10:11 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
setup an outdoor webcam/crittercam and catch 'em on video. The first link is for a $41 one on amazon.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/outdoor-wildlife-camera

Old 02-07-2020, 11:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I'll second SUPbud. If you're interested in critters in general, consider getting a trail/game camera - they can be had for as cheaply as $50. They have motion detection and work day or night - it's fun to see all the activity and will give you some definite answers too. You can them up to do just pictures or video and some you can set the frequency and sensitivity.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:36 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Also, it could be yellow jacket holes. Have experience with those too. lol
When I was about 10 or 11, I had one get up my shirt sleeve. It stung me probably half a dozen times before I could get it out.

I have seen holes like this for bumblebees, too, I was running a trimmer along the back of the house, and suddenly they came pouring out of the hole.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:53 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Voles.

THey look like mice or rats but have shorter tails. Mice and rats have tails longer than their bodies.

They're incredibly destructive to anything you plant. They've killed a at least $300 worth of plants in my yard the last couple years.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
June bugs.

If you examine the photo on highest magnification you'll see you have an infestation of June bugs and there are hundreds of smaller holes not visible to the naked eye and many, many beetle shell and wing casings scattered about the ground.

The bigger holes in the ground will be getting made by ground digging birds like flickers, starlings and crows etc. as well as small rodents that are digging the clusters of beetles and larvae out of the ground and eating them. The very small holes are being made by the June bug beetles and larvae.

Those June bugs and larvae are living underground eating the roots of your grass. I'd suggest you do some research about june bugs habits and take steps to get rid of the june bugs and larvae.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
June bugs.

If you examine the photo on highest magnification you'll see you have an infestation of June bugs and there are hundreds of smaller holes not visible to the naked eye and many, many beetle shell and wing casings scattered about the ground.

The bigger holes in the ground will be getting made by ground digging birds like flickers, starlings and crows etc. as well as small rodents that are digging the clusters of beetles and larvae out of the ground and eating them. The very small holes are being made by the June bug beetles and larvae.

Those June bugs and larvae are living underground eating the roots of your grass. I'd suggest you do some research about june bugs habits and take steps to get rid of the june bugs and larvae.

There's no telling what's in there. I have not seen a june bug tho since living here. But I don't doubt there's something. There is almost no decent grass. It's moss and weeds mostly. I've been here a short time and after the big tree out front is removed a crew is coming in to treat the ground and all and lay in some new sod so hopefully that will take care of most of those probs.

But.. I don't think the holes are from any flickers or starlings as they are tunnels.. not just holes or depressions.

I actually did look up about the june bugs and larvae about a month ago because that came up in a search but I figured I would have at least seen one or 2 of them. I did at my last house. It was pretty evident. But I shall revisit. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
When I was about 10 or 11, I had one get up my shirt sleeve. It stung me probably half a dozen times before I could get it out.

I have seen holes like this for bumblebees, too, I was running a trimmer along the back of the house, and suddenly they came pouring out of the hole.

When we were kids, my brother teased one of my younger sisters unmercifully. He told her he'd give her a quarter if she got something he dropped out of that hole... so.. she reached in and got swarmed with yellow jackets. She came running toward the house and hundreds of them were all over her.. in her ears, hair, stuck all over her shirt... she was about 9 yrs old I think. My dad raced out of the house, they turned the hose on her hard and ripped her clothes off of her, wrapped her in a blanket and raced her to the hospital. I couldn't tell you how many times she was stung but it was pretty bad.

This was back in the days when kids feared mom and dad to a good degree... I don't have to tell you what my brother faced when they got back from the hospital!

Old 02-07-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
setup an outdoor webcam/crittercam and catch 'em on video. The first link is for a $41 one on amazon.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/outdoor-wildlife-camera

I've been wanting one for a long time but everyone wants an arm and a leg to install. I'm not helpless but I'm an older widow that hasn't a clue how to hook one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden