Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 04:52 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Front yard: What to Do?-img_1419-2.jpgSorry it's sideways. Didn't know how to turn it.
Thanks in advance. I admit I don't even know my own mind on this....so I'm asking the garden community here. Photo: there's a pot in each corner, and the taller urn one in the center. The mulch was what we did to get rid of the yard when elderly mom lived there. Pavers to make it "look nicer."

I don't want to spend a LOT of money -- say under $120.

Issues:
-- animals (neighborhood squirrels/cats/skunks/opossums, dog) poop in the mulch -- AND the pots!
I've thought about blanketing the entire area with critter repellent. But I'd just have to keep spending that money.

1) Is there a plant (other than one with thorns) that NO animal likes to go near?

Ideas?
-- I prefer perennials. And I usually DO have plants in those pots. Just haven't since COVID.

-- I've always wanted peonies. Had them at another house. But they get too tall, I'd have to stake, pot would blow over in the wind, etc. Love the flower and look. Don't want the extra work. -- OR since they wouldn't be in the ground would you still do the peonies and just let them flop down over the side of the pot, so they'd look like a mounding habit? The blooms wouldn't be on the ground.

In other beds or pots, I already have seed autumn job, day lilies, hyacynths, irises,
And I've had salvia, pinks, turtlehead choline, blanket flower, balloon flower, bee balm, butterfly weed, gaura, crocosmia, angelonia, billy buttons, and more I can't recall.

Wanted something different -- and thought I'd finally go for the peonies?

(Or get something cheap, more of the same (daylily or salvia, whatever, slap it in there, and call it a day?)

Like I said, I don't even know what I want to do.....well, I DO want animals to stop pooping in the mulch and pots. Flowers will help that right? I don't think they pooped in the pots with the flowers in them.

Last edited by selhars; 02-18-2022 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 02:04 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Why not plant peonies in the ground?

Old 02-18-2022, 04:56 PM

I'm not going back to plants in the ground, because the mulch is easier to just top off and keep weeds at bay.

I have the pots and I'm sticking with the containers. I find them easier to manage.

Are there any flowering plants that most animals hate to go near?

Old 02-18-2022, 05:30 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm not going back to plants in the ground, because the mulch is easier to just top off and keep weeds at bay.

I have the pots and I'm sticking with the containers. I find them easier to manage.

Nice thorny roses.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Many animals don't like plants in the mint family, or other types of strongly scented culinary herbs.

Quote:

Attachment 235025

-- I've always wanted peonies. Had them at another house. But they get too tall, I'd have to stake, pot would blow over in the wind, etc. Love the flower and look. Don't want the extra work. -- OR since they wouldn't be in the ground would you still do the peonies and just let them flop down over the side of the pot, so they'd look like a mounding habit? The blooms wouldn't be on the ground.
I like the pavers and the border stones, it looks good. Re: peonies in the containers, you could try dwarf or miniature peony plants, or sturdy upright peonies that don't require staking.

This link shows a fairly large selection of peonies that don't require staking and could be put in containers:
https://www.gardenia.net/guide/peoni...equire-staking

Here are some examples of dwarf peonies suitable for containers:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=dwarf...h=560&biw=1120

Old 02-19-2022, 05:10 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
You don’t say where you live, but how about dahlias? In cooler climates you would need to remove the bulbs and store them for the winter., but you’d get nice big colorful flowers.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:22 AM

Zone 7 Phila area.

Thanks for the Dahlia idea. But won't squirrels dig them up/eat them. Also anything I plant stays planted so I wouldn't dig them up to save them. I'm not planting 20 bulbs only to have 3-4 survive.

I've done some research/looking on the peonies. One question I've had is will I be able to find the shorter ones at the nursery where I shop.....it's a pretty big place. Wonder if I could order what I want. Big box home center garden departs sometimes don't have ANY peonies.

I have squirrels, skunks, cats, and other varmints in the area.

The main goals are:
-- stop them from pooping or coming into MY yard that's why I wondered about plants they'll naturally stay away from.

-- and what to put in the pots. I'll look into the mint family.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Nice thorny roses.
Thanks but my OP said: 1) Is there a plant (other than one with thorns) that NO animal likes to go near?

Old 02-19-2022, 08:41 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:

I disagree that pots are easier to manage. The watering routine would be one HUGE reason I would have plants in the ground - if it were an either/or decision. Once you eliminate weeds in your garden, keeping a mulched bed weed free is literally a once or twice a month spray. Watering the planters is far more maintenance. Obviously your choice, but weeds also get in the planters - if you think they don't, you have not had many plants in pots. I have a ton of them on my front porch, and weed seeds are everywhere.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:22 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
You could put in a little fence. I have used both, I think, an 18” high plastic picket fence and a metal decorative fence for a large flower box, and for my raised bed vegetable garden. Both have helped keep animals out. Check a garden center or big box like Home Depot/Lowes, or Target/Walmart. Probably also options online like Amazon. Some get a little pricey but I think it would be in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden