Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 02:27 PM

45 posts, read 48,868 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Please help, my poor hydrangeas are in need of tender care. Please let me know what to do to revive them.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Diseased Hydrangea, need help!-img-8184.jpg   Diseased Hydrangea, need help!-img-8183.jpg   Diseased Hydrangea, need help!-img-8182.jpg   Diseased Hydrangea, need help!-img-8181.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 03:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Looks like you've got leaf scorch happening there.

https://hortsense.cahnrs.wsu.edu/fac...a-leaf-scorch/

Pictures:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=scorc...ih=592&dpr=1.5

Old 07-21-2023, 03:25 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Nothing major, some scorch. The dried flowers are normal when it's hot and the plant is a bit short of water. They also have a life span in any case.

I spray mine every couple weeks with a fungicide when I hit the roses.

Just make sure they're getting enough water.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:40 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
It might help to 'make' some shade for them if you can. Maybe an unbrella, or some statuary, or shade cloth. Temu has shade cloths that come in different sizes. Amazon has them too.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:13 PM

Weird. I water them on a timer for 15 minutes every morning using a soaker hose. What would you recommend? Thanks for the responses!!

Old 07-21-2023, 04:25 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omf_24 View Post
Weird. I water them on a timer for 15 minutes every morning using a soaker hose. What would you recommend? Thanks for the responses!!
Since they seem to be getting enough water (although think what Hydrangea means, especially when it's really hot) maybe the shade is a good suggestion.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:29 PM

One question - could this have to do with airflow, being too close to the house? (right against the house)?

Old 07-21-2023, 08:09 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omf_24 View Post
I think you have a bacterial or fungal infection - round holes on leaves, it doesn’t look like scorch to me. If you see a brown ring around the black circle - most likely bacterial infection but hard to say from the photos - it doesn’t matter as the remedies are the same below.

Are they newly planted? Make sure the crown isn’t buried with soil.
Did you have frosts in spring? Looks like old leaves are damaged by “scorch” type damage?

Anyway,
I am seeing some mulch?

Make sure that mulch doesn’t come too close to the crown of the hydrangeas - leave at least 4 -6 inches of bare soil around where the hydrangea sends branches out.

The roots need a good air exchange, mulching too close impedes it and could harbor bugs, create perfect environment for the disease, etc.

Make sure the mulch isn’t too thick. 2-3” should be enough

I see a lot of new fresh growth. Your hydrangeas should recover, don’t need to spray: by the time you see the damage done it is too late to apply anything anyway

The only thing I would do if you can - remove at least the worst of the diseased leaves - as the rain, dew, wind, bugs may spread it to healthy growth.

Increasing the air circulation would definitely help to dry the leaves out - preventing the infection from spreading.
Remove old stems, cut to the ground the weak ones;
If you see some stems with blotches - cut them to the soil level; leave 5-7-9 stocky healthy green canes.

Make sure that the crown of the shrub are not planted too deep - it should sit slightly above the surface of soil.

Clean up the dead fallen leaves from the ground - reduces the infection

Do the thinning soon - it could stimulate the plant to send fresh new healthy (hopefully) stems and foliage.

Is it mop-head? Then you could still get flower buds for next season’s bloom.

I would change your watering schedule: water maximum 2 -times a week or even only once if no rain but slowly and for longer duration?

Frequent watering keeps the mulch and soil wet but shallow.
Your goal is to water less frequently but deeper so roots could grow deeper into a cooler soil, not hang out in the shallow and hot soil.

The soil must dry out between watering. Do not let water spray the leaves.

Try to insert clean empty tuna can level with the ground. Once the can is filled with water- rain or irrigation - you just provided 1” of water to the shrub.

1” should be enough for a week?
The leaves may droop during the heat of the afternoon, but should perk up in the evenings

If you have 1” of rain one week you don’t need to water that week.

It is hard to kill hydrangeas. Unless you do it with kindness- by shallow overwatering?

Your first photo shows leaves with triangular type damage? Can’t say for sure, it could be a verticillium wilt.
That is more serious; you may even need to remove some plants

Read just in case and observe your plants.
https://www.hydrangeaguide.com/ident...to-control-it/

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-21-2023 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 09:56 PM

Thank you for all this detail!! I will look tomorrow and report back, thank you so much.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
I think you have a bacterial or fungal infection - round holes on leaves, it doesn’t look like scorch to me. If you see a brown ring around the black circle - most likely bacterial infection but hard to say from the photos - it doesn’t matter as the remedies are the same below.
Thank you so much once again for your response.

Attached is a closeup of one of the leaves.

The plants have been there for years...I just bought the house, but as far as I know they have been planted for many years.

The ground has pine straw on it, not very thick.

Today, I cut the plants back from leaning against the house, so now there should be a few inches so that air can pass through the back.

Tomorrows project is to cut off all infected leaves, and clean up any that dropped to the ground.

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions.

Thank you again.
Attached Thumbnails
Diseased Hydrangea, need help!-unnamed-1-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden