Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,068,020 times

Advertisements

For the first time I purchased a Cilantro herb. I thought it was in the Parsley family and that it would last all season for cooking.

This plant started "blooming" almost immediately. I kept cutting off the blooms because I thought that once a herb plant goes to seed like that that they die. The leaves never did anything... it just kept blooming...

I finally cut it all the way down to see if anything will come up... so far, nothing.

Any idea why my plant did that? Was the potted plant old..??

Next time I'll start my own from seed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,570,922 times
I started mine from seed. Made no difference. I had nice cilantro for a brief period, then it bolted like yours did.

I think it might be too hot to grow cilantro here (the Dallas area).

I have had great success with most every other herb I've grown here though.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 AM

42,037 posts, read 75,470,595 times
Cilantro bolts like crazy in hot weather. It's best to plant it in succession from seed, so you have a season-long supply of herb. But even after it bolts -- if you're diligent about pinching off the flowers -- you can use the leaves for a little while afterward.

In the fall, I'll let a few of the plants bolt and set seed; then I'll collect the seeds for next season.

World Citizen, I'm not sure what you mean when you say the leaves didn't "do anything"?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cilantro bolts like crazy in hot weather. It's best to plant it in succession from seed, so you have a season-long supply of herb. But even after it bolts -- if you're diligent about pinching off the flowers -- you can use the leaves for a little while afterward.

In the fall, I'll let a few of the plants bolt and set seed; then I'll collect the seeds for next season.

World Citizen, I'm not sure what you mean when you say the leaves didn't "do anything"?
The leaves just didn't grow... (must be that southern coming out)

I didn't look up Cilantro before purchasing it. I didn't realize it was a Cool Weather herb!

So, I shouldn't have cut it down. It's a goner!

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-08-2008 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 AM

42,037 posts, read 75,470,595 times
Gotcha. Once the plant bolts and you pinch it back, all it does is make more flowers.

Plant some in the fall; you'll have it for longer.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 AM

Default the word I was looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I started mine from seed. Made no difference. I had nice cilantro for a brief period, then it bolted like yours did.

I think it might be too hot to grow cilantro here (the Dallas area).

I have had great success with most every other herb I've grown here though.
I could not come up with the word BOLT! My brain is apparently not on yet today.

That's exactly what it did.. In fact, I've never seen any plant bolt as much as Cilantro does!

Thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 AM

653 posts, read 1,923,959 times
i am not sure about that, it must be missed lable.
Cilantro grow and consume in the countrys near equator(thailand, india, maxico)
if you live in the area not freeze in the winter, you can stack plant them(seed them 1-2 week apart) that way you can have them all year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The leaves just didn't grow... (must be that southern coming out)

I didn't look up Cilantro before purchasing it. I didn't realize it was a Cool Weather herb! So, I shouldn't have cut it down. It's a goner!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM

Default Cilantro is a Mexican Herb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
i am not sure about that, it must be missed lable.
Cilantro grow and consume in the countrys near equator(thailand, india, maxico)
if you live in the area not freeze in the winter, you can stack plant them(seed them 1-2 week apart) that way you can have them all year round.
You're right.

I didn't even think about it. The reason I BOUGHT Cilantro is because of Mexican food.. it's a major ingredient in Salsa.

You think in Mexico that they have to constantly seed plants to keep it growing?

My mind apparently isn't clear this morning. I just went outside and realized that my plant was dead and wasn't coming back. Right now I'm feeling like a plant killer, brown thumb, failure....

I really don't kill many plants!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,194,882 times
Cilantro grows best in a shady location for me. It never lasts very long. Once it blooms, it's gone. Plant a patch every week from last frost till mid-September if you want it all summer. I do the same with cukes. I get 3 harvestings of some other veggies too.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Very interesting. I learned something today..

I've only grown basil, parsley, thyme, mint, sage, bergamont ... and rosemary...

Other than Dill and Cilantro are there other Culinary Herbs that are short lived???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden