Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times

Advertisements

So I recently bought my first composter and am quite excited about it. The one I have takes about 6 mos to completely decompost but since it's winter the timing should work out about right. Can anyone comment their thoughts having owned one? I recently bought another house and have been planting away - trees, bushes, flowers, perennials, etc. Has anyone continously used compost and noticed an increase in size and vitality of their plantings?

Last edited by citydweller; 11-03-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
So I recently bought my first composter and am quite excited about it. The one I have takes about 6 mos to completely decompost but since it's winter the timing should work out about right. Can anyone comment their thoughts having owned one? I recently bought another house and have been planting away - trees, bushes, flowers, perennials, etc. Has anyone continously used compost and noticed an increase in size and vitality of their plantings?
Most definitely! I've composted for many years, but my homemade composter is made of heavy duty wire, and stakes. We have many, old, huge, English Walnut trees, and don't bag one leaf! If we did, there'd be 500 bags or more! We're trying to be green as green can be, and I throw a bunch of leaves in my compost pile. (the others get mowed and spread like a thin blanket on our back yard). Also, in the compost, I put small sticks, weeds, rotten tomatoes and other veggies from the kitchen, grass, and even mushroom soil....everything but meat, as you know. I buy mushroom soil for my flowers/plants, a truck load each spring (another miracle for the gardener). The hardest part for me, is turning the compost pile, and i do that every 2-3 weeks all spring and summer. Your composter may do that for you. What's it like?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 PM

The one I bought is located here. This is my first one so not sure what to expect. I'm wondering if it may be a little difficult to mix due to it being tall and narrow. As you can see at the bottom there is a door to raise and lower in order to get out the compost. I am so looking forward to spring already.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have three and the city gave them out free to encourage composting. I usually roatte the one I use about evry 6 months. A side note is that I threw some cantalope waste it one and the next year I had beautiful juicy cantalope growing.The vietnamese do somethoing like this abopve grond to grow their mellows.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
I've had compost piles for over 25 years and love them. All yard debris except weeds and fungus covered vegetation go in, including small branches, pine cones, etc. This spring, I remade a vegetable garden after 10 years of not actively doing so. That compost was turned out and tilled in to the gardens. My soil measured a perfect 7 and I've had a fabulous growing season from the garden. I couldn't begin to say how healthy it is for your yard and the landfill thanks you too! I also toss my coffee grinds into it.

I have recently bought a leaf shredder thing from Gardner's Supply, but I've been sick with the flu and haven't opened the box to view it in person. I'm hoping it shreds the leaves and branches as small as it says it will. If it does, my composting area won't need to be as large. I use wire fencing and stakes as well and just toss periodically with a pitch fork. Every now and then if I think of it, I toss in some lime product to assist in the break down of the compost.

Have fun!!! You know you've got GREAT soil when you turn it over and it's full of earthworms. Nice work!!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The one I bought is located here. This is my first one so not sure what to expect. I'm wondering if it may be a little difficult to mix due to it being tall and narrow. As you can see at the bottom there is a door to raise and lower in order to get out the compost. I am so looking forward to spring already.
Very nice one, citydweller! You will love this!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM

For those of you who have one, how long has it taken to break down into compost ?

Last edited by citydweller; 11-03-2008 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
How long does it usually take to break down into compost for those of you who have one?
I think it takes about 6 months, but I keep adding, turning over, and shifting it, so that's a guess. I bring the mix up from the bottom, to the top because the bottom is all very rich and wormy. And, my mushroom soil really adds that extra kick!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I have done pretty much all types of composters. The one I got from the city was the worst for me. Field mice decided they liked the area around it for their new home. My two dogs decided they wanted to "play" with the mice, and proceeded to tear apart and chew up the composter.

A while later I was doing an inspection and the seller had a rotary composter that they were going to put in a garage sale. I took it home that day.

OMG! It makes compost very fast, or at least seems to. Month or so and it's done.

I also bought a chipper/mulcher and that has really helped in a lot of ways. First it makes quick work of getting rid of the cuttings when pruning or cutting back stuff. It provides huge amount of mulch, which also helps the soil.

I found that when I ran leaves through the chipper/mulcher then added them to the composter (for the BROWN stuff), it broke down faster than just regular leaves. I also used an old blender for kitchen scraps to break those down a bit before adding them to the composter. Egg shells always bothered me with the old composter for some reason.

Frequent early morning runs to Starbucks gets me a lot of coffee grounds for free. I also found that in the afternoon, if you ask, they will almost always have some ready to bag if you wait. I use the grounds in the composter, and as a side dressing for the plants.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 AM

17 posts, read 92,854 times
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first composter and my wife and I are very excited about it. I found this on "you tube" and it help me decide which one to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0m5RxUhfxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw-0C3ko-i0&feature=related

Thanks,

T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden