Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,936 times

Advertisements

After searching high and low this summer I was finally able to obtain a "red shield" or acetosella hibiscus (African rosemallow, false roselle, maroon mallow, cranberry hibiscus or red leaved hibiscus) this summer. I keep it potted on the screened patio b/c I didn't know what else to do with it at the time, and it's doing great in the pot. It just started blooming this week, dark burgandy flowers. Tonight we might get a freeze so I'll probably move it in or atleast against the house. I am going to try to propagate this winter inside so I can have many to plant along fence in spring. Anyone else grow this plant?? What do you normally do with it in winter? Cut it back and let it regrow? Or does it die off? When do the seeds appear?? I am in zone 8 (NE Florida) and get a few freezes each winter.

Here are some pics...

acetosella hibiscus-red-hibiscus-004.jpg

acetosella hibiscus-red-hibiscus-003.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
I googled it - which brought me to this site, where some folks left feedback on how it did for them ... mostly zone8 -10
PlantFiles: Detailed information on Red-Leaf Hibiscus, False Roselle, African Rose Mallow Hibiscus acetosella 'Red Shield'

Looks like a gorgeous plant.

Since most Hibiscus [with the exception of Hardy] do not do well here... i have one that is in a pot, which i just bring in every winter.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
I took some seeds from a tree at the Botanical Center. I planted them in pots and they all came up. I put two of them into the ground and they took off, flowered and have made more seeds. I plan to leave them in the ground to see how they winter. I live in 8b, and the man at the Botanical Center said it would winter fine, as long as we did not get any unusually cold, like below 20.
I love it and hope mine will grow into the tree that I took them from. I mean TREE. it was woody with 5 or 6 branches, and about 15 feet tall.
We'll see in the spring.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,154,199 times
I have one like that. Don't plant it in shade. It will turn green. Most of mine was green by the end of the summer with only 4 hours of sunlight each day. Propagating them should be easy. I've done several of mine. I have 12 of these in a chamber now.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:30 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
tamcim72
that is a great looking Hibiscus I think you need to come up to Jax when we have our next pizza get together and bring some cuttings I will trade you some "mama jade " cuttings

St Aug is more of a 9a zone and depending on how close to the ocean you are it could even be 9b

It should be fine in your screen patio I leave my potted Hibiscus on the deck next to our screenroom though I may bring it inside if they say we have a hard freeze coming.
Just make sure it is well watered 24 hours before a freeze

Should you get any freeze damage it will come back.
One year we had a really bad hard freeze and the ones I had planted in the ground took a bad hit but as soon as it warmed up I cut them back (they were almost 6') almost to the ground and they came back beautifully

propagating Hibiscus's is very easy
I was very successful using this method
get a bottle of rooting hormone powder
take cuttings from the newer growth remove all but a couple of the leaves
make a hole in the pot of dirt dip the end in the rooting hormone then stick it in the hole
I use one of those plastic zip bags that comforters come in as a "greenhouse" for my cuttings kept in a area that gets good light (not direct sun though) and I have had roots in about 6 weeks

lol the last time I propagated my Hibiscus I got a little carried away and ended up supplying most of my friends with plants

Old 11-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Trust me it was a hard plant to find (after eyeing one at the SJC Ag Center) and I don't want to lose it! I just emptied my annual pots from the front porch and was thinking to use those for propagating so I can have some to share come spring. I tried two in a sunny window ledge in the house and one still looks healthy after a few weeks, the other might not make it. I don't know if I can start from seed, I'm too lazy to do that. The one I saw at the ag center was 6' across and 4' high and very lush, hoping by next summer mine will be the same.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,154,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
Trust me it was a hard plant to find (after eyeing one at the SJC Ag Center) and I don't want to lose it! I just emptied my annual pots from the front porch and was thinking to use those for propagating so I can have some to share come spring. I tried two in a sunny window ledge in the house and one still looks healthy after a few weeks, the other might not make it. I don't know if I can start from seed, I'm too lazy to do that. The one I saw at the ag center was 6' across and 4' high and very lush, hoping by next summer mine will be the same.
They don't always come true from seed. Cuttings are your best option. If you've got an unheated garage or basement, put it there. It's lose its leaves, and go dormant, but next spring, it should come back. Water when completely dry. You don't want to rot the roots.

If you do cuttings, be sure to sterilize everything. Use sterile soil, clean your pots, cutters, etc with 1 part bleach, 9 parts water. A fungus can kill a cutting before it has a chance to root.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,416 times
Default Hibiscus....

very nice red leaf hibiscus...

i have the normal types. Outside on deck in summer. In basement with plant light in winter.

heres a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
acetosella hibiscus-cimg1174.jpg   acetosella hibiscus-cimg1176.jpg  

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 16,016 times
Question I ddo not know how to find seeds of Hibiscuss acettosella and Veronia amygdalina, please advise...

Hi to all garden lovers here,
Please advise how could I find seeds of Hibiscuss acettosella and Veronia amygdalina, if possible. I tried all means here.
I live in UK.I have sameemail like the signature below .
Many thanks in advance.
ourauspiciousgardenatyahoodotcom

Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM

I've seen them on ebay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden