Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times

Advertisements

I have this Peony in the ground as of this summer, for two years. It is getting some sun, but flowers yet. Any advice!!!!! Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I have this Peony in the ground as of this summer, for two years. It is getting some sun, but flowers yet. Any advice!!!!! Thank you,
I meant to say No flowers yet!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
Peonies really need full sun. They won't bloom if they are planted too deep or are too crowded. Mine are at the point of dividing. I have one that is too deep so I need to lift it out of the ground this fall. I just love them!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
? Our peonies bloomed this spring. They sit under a partial oak/hickory canopy.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
I have two peonies, planted in the same area. This is their second year. Onea bloomed some the first year, and doubled in size and blooms this year. It was gorgeous! The other one was stunted last year and continued struggling. It had no blooms this year. I
dug it up in the spring and potted it, thinking I could take better care of it. It still is stunted. That's the only word I can find to describe it. It's just not growing. I could understand it if both were struggling, but it's only one, and they were both planted in the same location, next to each other. (full sun).

Any ideas, anyone?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I have two peonies, planted in the same area. This is their second year. Onea bloomed some the first year, and doubled in size and blooms this year. It was gorgeous! The other one was stunted last year and continued struggling. It had no blooms this year. I
dug it up in the spring and potted it, thinking I could take better care of it. It still is stunted. That's the only word I can find to describe it. It's just not growing. I could understand it if both were struggling, but it's only one, and they were both planted in the same location, next to each other. (full sun).

Any ideas, anyone?
I had the same thing happen to one of mine this year. The only thing I can think that may have happened to mine was that the cold spring stunted it this year. The one next to it is huge with blooms all over and the other is much smaller than it was last year and no blooms. They are two different peonies so the one may be a bit more sensitive to the cooler weather. Mine could also have hit some big rocks with their roots and maybe a little root bound because of it. Maybe something like one of the above happened to yours.

I'll be digging all of my peonies up later this summer and dividing up a few and the others will just be dug up because of changes I'm making to my flower beds. I am going to raise my flower beds because 1) plants tend to do better in raised beds, 2) I'll give my plants more root space without running into a lot of rock and 3) my larger flower beds are fairly close to the street and they get a lot of the gunk and grime off the roads blown into them. When I replant my peonies I'll give them some bone meal for that extra boost.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
It can take up to five years for a peony to bloom depending on it's size and age when first planted. If it was say a two year old plant when you planted it, it may do something next spring. If it was a bare rhizome with 2-3 eyes when you first planted it, it may take another year or two before it blooms.

It may also be burried to deep. Even an inch to deep can make a difference.

Or it may have gotten frosted just as it was setting on buds and the buds froze. It doesn't take much frost to affect a bud.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
Join a Freecycle group in your area and offer those peony roots you don't want. I'll bet a lot of people will offer to take them off your hands. I can't bear to throw plants away.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
yeah - it may be another year yet before you see flowers.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Join a Freecycle group in your area and offer those peony roots you don't want. I'll bet a lot of people will offer to take them off your hands. I can't bear to throw plants away.
Love Freecycle! Have given tons of plants away and got a few in return; last year I received (had to dig it out to get it, of course LOL) a mature Kim lilac bush and also a buddleia.

Currently have plants growing in my driveway (not paved, obviously ) and am trying to find enough people to take them off my hands, sorry, out of my driveway . Like you, I can't bear to throw plants away!

Sorry for getting OT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden