Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times

Advertisements

I'm debating between a few brands. I don't want to deal with the maintenance and hassle of a gas-powered one, not to mention that I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person in the world either.

I'm currently debating between a Neuton, Black and Decker and Ryobi.

I also have about 8000 sq ft of yard to cut with a backyard that slopes down, but am relatively fit and strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
8000 sq feet? Get a good gas mower.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I had an electric Black & Decker mower years ago when I had a small yard. That thing was very had to push for some reason considering how small it was, I think it was the tiny wheels. I ended up giving it away.

Now I have a LawnBoy gas push mower to use as a trim mower and I love it. It's self propelled and it starts with only one pull, no priming or anything.
Lawn Boy Self Propelled CARB Walk Power Mower - 10646 at The Home Depot

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM

112 posts, read 852,018 times
With that size yard, you'll have to mow-then-recharge probably 3-4 times before you complete mowing your lawn. I would strongly advise against a battery powered one unless you plan to spend all day mowing your lawn. A corded electric one is probably not much better given that size yard.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
We bought a Black and Decker with the battery 3 years ago. After the first year, the battery had to be replaced (these run $75.00), after the second year, my husband had to order parts (wires, etc.) and do some rebuilding. The lawnmower weighs 75 lbs and any incline, well, you'll need to be strong. It will mow for about an hour on one charge and less as your battery weakens. Last year, we bought a plug-in Black and Decker and I like it for small areas but my husband has gotten a gas-powered Club Cadet that is self-propelled and it is a breeze compared to the electric. I was really sold on the electric one but after pushing it around in 80 plus degree temps, recharging, rebuilding.....The plug-in one is my second and I enjoy it to keep my arms in shape and the really small ones are very easy to deal with and light. The battery one is wimpy in power compared to the plug-in. Yeah, I wish I had better news on that too.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
I went with a battery operated web whacker with the intent to get a battery mower too but it was such a pain in the butt that I returned them for corded. Sounds like in your case though you would want an assisted gas mower if you are talking a large yard with a slope.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
I went with a battery operated web whacker with the intent to get a battery mower too but it was such a pain in the butt that I returned them for corded. Sounds like in your case though you would want an assisted gas mower if you are talking a large yard with a slope.
I'm interested in what problems you had with the battery powered weed whacker as i'm thinking of buying one to keep the edges of my 15X15 garden plot free of overgrown grass and weeds..

Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Totally unsatisfied. I got it strictly for running around the edge of my small front yard and even then there is a rapid decline in power as the battery drains. Often to the point it was totally useless before I was done. As it drained I had to go back over spots or it would choke in places it wouldn't at full charge. This was a Black and Decker one but I did a lot of research and reading reviews and the like and it was one of the better options, heh.

If I were you I would go with a corded one. They are cheaper, provide steady power and require no batteries or charging stations or anything just an extension cord.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
My brother has the black and decker. Piece of junk as far as I am concerned.

I have used it a couple of times. Can't mow his whole yard on one charge, terribly underpowered, blade doesn't cut well even when sharp, hard to push for how light it is, bag is very small.

Plus it takes soooo much longer to mow the yard. A yard that takes 20 minutes with a gas mower takes 2 and a half hours over two days with the battery one. It makes an enjoyable job (for me) a tedious chore. No wonder my brother doesn't like yard work.

If I mow my brothers yard, I bring my own gas mower.

When I was a kid, we had a electric. It was a piece of junk as well. Same problems as the battery, with the addition of a cord you could cut by accident.

They claim they are better then the ones of the past. They are lying. They would need a lot of improvement to be half as good as a gas mower.

I would stick with the gas.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I have a gas mower, have always had one and they really aren't a problem. In Illinois I watched my neighbor struggle with his battery mower, his lawn always looked awful as there didn't seem to be the settings to raise it up.

I moved to Wisc. and the couple down the street always scalps the lawn with their battery mower, maybe this is just people not setting it right but I'm a believer in cutting more often and not cutting my lawn too short. My lawn mower has 7 settings and I use several of them depending on how much rain we are getting. I would not want a battery mower or electric for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden