Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I'd like to plant a live hedge on the road side of my property.
It's a large side, I am frugal and not that young, so I am looking for something that will grow very fast, dense and is cheap. I'll just let it grow, plenty of space and I'll plant away from fence, so that I do not need to trim it.
Suggestions? Laurels will do but they are pricey. Though can grow into a very tall wall, I saw them do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 03:06 PM

JUst to add - I want it tall. As in tall.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:10 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Privet is standard for hedges but is high maintenance.

Have you considered knockout roses?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
TALL as in a tree? Leyland Cypress.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Thank you.
Maintenance is not an issue, I have plenty of space and will simply let it grow.
At the old property, I had about 700 lf of leyland cypress. It does not grow fast enough. It's also expensive.
I want it to grow fast and dense. Without breaking bank.
Yes, tall as a tree is quite fine.
As I said, laurels would have done it. I drove past several properties where they used laurels as privacy hedge off the arterial. They simply let them grow and it was rock solid dense wall very tall. Pricey though... I'll need about 30 trees to cover the side.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
It depends on the type of soil that is there and the sun and moisture conditions. I'd spend the $$ to have the soil tested in some areas. Here are some recommendations:

1. Norway spruce
2. Green Giant thuja plicata
3. Burford Holly, dragon lady holly, foster holly *
4. Chinese Juniper
5. Picea Glauca
6. Thuja occidentalis - these are great for moist/alkaline-neutral soil, but not salt tolerant.

* hollies grow slowly, but they are salt-tolerant and may be good for near a road. I'd just buy big specimens.

I'd not recommend leyland cypress. They don't take trimming well, and are apparently short-lived disease magnetc.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Privets and you can start them from cuttings from any privet, the longer the cutting is, the bigger the head start you have on its growth. Get some willow switches, put them in a bucket of water to root, add the switches of privet and let them soak in that water for three or four weeks till roots show on the privet stems, then pot them up or plant them directly where you want them to grow. Willow water can be used to stimulate growth on many plants and watering the plants with the water afterwards helps to ward off shock from transplanting.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Laurel or Leyland Cypress.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Privets and you can start them from cuttings from any privet, the longer the cutting is, the bigger the head start you have on its growth. Get some willow switches, put them in a bucket of water to root, add the switches of privet and let them soak in that water for three or four weeks till roots show on the privet stems, then pot them up or plant them directly where you want them to grow. Willow water can be used to stimulate growth on many plants and watering the plants with the water afterwards helps to ward off shock from transplanting.

Ahh, nice. Thank you. Privet can also be shaped into all kinds of cool figures. I'll look into this. That will actually be a nice thing for my wife, she likes potting plants. I am brutal physical force side.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:11 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ahh, nice. Thank you. Privet can also be shaped into all kinds of cool figures. I'll look into this. That will actually be a nice thing for my wife, she likes potting plants. I am brutal physical force side.
In 2000 when we moved to our house, there were two hedges across the front of the property, one was a dragon with seven humps, about 40 feet long. Found out when we enquired about putting up a fence across the front that the hedge exceeded the minimum height of 3 feet above the crown of the road, that any accident that was a result of the hedge would put a lien on our property. The next day I got out my 3 in 1 oil, hedge clippers, an oil rag, file in one back pocket and proceeded to cut the hedge down. It took me six hours of steady cutting to get it to legal height. Three days after cutting it down, a neighbor gave me the thumbs up and called me the dragonslayer. Now I run a garden service called Dragonslayer Garden Service.

In 2006 I took some cuttings of a privet I had in Oakland that I brought up with me, 7 of them in one gallon pots and planted them along the inside of the second long hedge and started a new dragon hedge. We also got stop signs in the intersection that allowed me to grow a tall hedge again. Last year the two long front hedges were removed for the installation of sidewalks and gutters, the dragon had already assumed its form, but with nine humps and a smile this time. It is over 10 feet tall at the ears. I trim it about 3, sometimes 4 times each growing season to keep its growth tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Hedge-dsc00844_2.jpg   Hedge-dsc00845.jpg   Hedge-img_0890.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden