Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 07:10 PM

123 posts, read 116,022 times

Advertisements

Recently, I found out through a male cousin that my great-great grandfather's paternal haplogroup was I-Z45261.

But I can't seem to find anything on it about where it originated. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to find more info? Or better yet, know the answer to this? I've done a lot of research but I keep coming up blank here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
There is a Hall Y-DNA project at FamilyTreeDNA where a descendant of William Manning Hall was tested and has that haplogroup. He is included in "Family 003" with several other matches, some of them with Hall ancestors from earlier generations. So that means your William Manning Hall's father was a Hall and you share a common Hall ancestor with the other people in that group. The group 003 (yellow header) shows different haplogroups but they include subgroups and are all related:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults

Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
It originated in Eurasia, and although I can't find an age for it, it's parent group formed about 1,600-1,700 years ago in Eurasia.

https://haplogroup.org/ystory/i-z45261/
https://haplogroup.org/ystory/I-A11374/

Old 06-12-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
There is a Hall Y-DNA project at FamilyTreeDNA where a descendant of William Manning Hall was tested and has that haplogroup. He is included in "Family 003" with several other matches, some of them with Hall ancestors from earlier generations. So that means your William Manning Hall's father was a Hall and you share a common Hall ancestor with the other people in that group. The group 003 (yellow header) shows different haplogroups but they include subgroups and are all related:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults
Ah, that's where I found it actually! Oh, I didn't think to look at that part - thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to check it out! Maybe this can help me figure out his paternal line a bit better!

Old 06-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It originated in Eurasia, and although I can't find an age for it, it's parent group formed about 1,600-1,700 years ago in Eurasia.

https://haplogroup.org/ystory/i-z45261/
https://haplogroup.org/ystory/I-A11374/
Oh, this is great! Thanks so much, I'll have to check these out. I'll have to do some research on Eurasia and what countries it encompasses, see if I can find a starting point.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:02 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Eurasia is all of Asia and Europe. Extremely broad. The haplogroup itself is of little importance to your genealogy, I wouldn't get hung up on it. But the matches in the Hall project show that your GG grandfather was not adopted, as you assumed in one of your earlier threads. His surname is "genetic." So you are lucky on at least three counts: a direct male-line descendant from your Hall ancestor has already tested, the Hall Project is public (not all of them are) so that you can see his results, and he has been grouped with other testers with the same surname who trace back to earlier generations of Halls in the US. The trick then would be to be able to connect the genealogy of these different lines, but records are lacking. Your cousin who did that test can probably share any other information he may have learned about the haplogroup which FTDNA provided to him.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Eurasia is all of Asia and Europe. Extremely broad. The haplogroup itself is of little importance to your genealogy, I wouldn't get hung up on it. But the matches in the Hall project show that your GG grandfather was not adopted, as you assumed in one of your earlier threads. His surname is "genetic." So you are lucky on at least three counts: a direct male-line descendant from your Hall ancestor has already tested, the Hall Project is public (not all of them are) so that you can see his results, and he has been grouped with other testers with the same surname who trace back to earlier generations of Halls in the US. The trick then would be to be able to connect the genealogy of these different lines, but records are lacking. Your cousin who did that test can probably share any other information he may have learned about the haplogroup which FTDNA provided to him.
That's true, I didn't think of it that way before! That's actually a relief because now I can at least be able to find his parents easier. At least I know I'm looking for a Hall father now. I'll have to contact him and see - hopefully he can shed a little more light on it for me. And perhaps, he even knows a bit about the family, too.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,287 times
The I-Z45261 haplogroup is from Ireland.

To be specific, the sequence is ...I-PF4135+ > I-Y91501+ > I-A11374+ > I-Z45261.

The I-PF4135 haplogroup emerged in west County Cork, Munster, Ireland 3,100 ybp (years before present).

I-A11374 emerged, still in County Cork, 1,750 ybp.

I cannot find an emergence time frame for I-Z45261.

I participated with FTDNA administrators around 2015, to have specific sequences checked in my DNA to help isolate this group. This group (I-A11374 -->) has several surnames attributed to the marker.

Adkins (Atkins, Atkinson, Attkinsson, Akins)
Mullins
Sloan
Saylor
Murray
Hall

...and a few others.

From your last post, you appear to be unsure of the surname. Any of these listed might be the one, for which you seek.

Some information regarding the surnames listed above:

Adkins (Atkins, Aiekn, etc.) <--- Scots Gaelic: (Son(s) of little Adam)
Mullins <--- Irish and Scots Gaelic: Anglicized form of Ó Maolain (descendant of the tonsured one)
Sloan <--- Irish and Scots Gaelic: Anglicized form of Ó Sluaghadháin (a leader of warriors)
Saylor <--- Old Norman: One who leaps/dances (Normans had a presence in Munster in the 12th century)
Murray <--- Irish and Scots Gaelic: Ó Muireachaidh (descendant of the seaman)
Hall <--- Recognized as an English name, it is on record in Munster since the 14th century.

Regardless of the surname, the individuals all have a long, long common ancestry established in Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy