Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times

Advertisements

I have to add that there aren't really any privacy issues with Ancestry.com. You can easily make your tree "private" so that people have to ask your permission to access it. They wouldn't be able to make changes. It also shows people on your tree who are still living "anonymous." Your name isn't listed, and your photos aren't shown. So if your surname was "Smith," all your living relatives would show up online on your tree as "Living Smith," while you could view it with all relevant names and photos.

In two years on Ancestry, I have completed a family tree that has almost 3,000 people on it and dates to the Middle Ages. And I've never had a problem with privacy or outsider changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have to add that there aren't really any privacy issues with Ancestry.com. You can easily make your tree "private" so that people have to ask your permission to access it. They wouldn't be able to make changes. It also shows people on your tree who are still living "anonymous." Your name isn't listed, and your photos aren't shown. So if your surname was "Smith," all your living relatives would show up online on your tree as "Living Smith," while you could view it with all relevant names and photos.

In two years on Ancestry, I have completed a family tree that has almost 3,000 people on it and dates to the Middle Ages. And I've never had a problem with privacy or outsider changes.
If you disagree with something someone has in a tree on ancestry.com, it is possible to post a comment to that effect, if the owner of the tree declines to make a change. You should document the reason that the fact you are challenging is erroneous.

For example, I have an ancestor whose date of death on his grave marker is wrong. Census records indicate he was alive after the date on the stone, and I have his obituary, which gives the correct date. Anyone using the cemetery book for that county could use the wrong date, totally reasonably.

Most people would change the date if the error was explained. Some will not. The comment brings it to the attention of others. But the owner of the tree has to be the one to change his own tree.

I do think you might be able to allow someone else to make changes and additions to your tree with your permission, but I am not sure about that.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Wmsn4Life and suzy_q2010,

I really appreciate the feeling of security you have given me regarding privacy of my ancestral chart on Ancestry.com. I was very worried about that. Also, knowing that outsiders can't make changes to my tree is a real relief. I have worked hard to make it as accurate as possible. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I switched several years ago. I think I liked the format of Legacy better than FTM. I think that Legacy allowed the user to enter notes, while FTM didn't. But that was several years ago, and I know FTM has changed. I do know that Legacy will update their software, and these updates are free, and when they do a major update from 7.5 to 7.6, these updates are around $10. So, I really can't say FTM is not good, since it's been quite a while since I've used it. You might just read the reviews and see what you think. Genealogy software is really something you can't "test drive" since there are several programs, and you have to buy most of them before you can use them.
I do know that a genealogy program is VERY helpful, I can't imagine doing my genealogy without it.
I have had occasion to deal with three professional genealogists, each of them preferred and used Legacy software.

I started out with Family Tree 16 - and was immensely pleased from the get-go, and I have recently purchased Family Tree 2012.

Thus far, I am not especially happy with the switch, but I am willing to chalk it up - for awhile - to the fact that it is unfamiliar. However, I will say that the methods of using master sources, and for entering new ones are not nearly as straightforward IMO. If in six months I am still unhappy, I may just look into Legacy.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
I have used Legacy since I began research and am very happy with the program.

AFA posting your tree on Ancestry, they do maintain good privacy policies, such as keeping "living" persons names private. You can also keep your entire tree "private" instead of "public." People who want to contact you will do so through Ancestry i.e. you will get an email from Ancestry with the message, so your email is not publicized.

Only you can change your family tree(s) on Ancestry, as it is password protected. You can also remove your tree at any time. Before I uploaded my family tree via GEDCOM file to Ancestry, I compiled it in Legacy.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have used Legacy since I began research and am very happy with the program.

AFA posting your tree on Ancestry, they do maintain good privacy policies, such as keeping "living" persons names private. You can also keep your entire tree "private" instead of "public." People who want to contact you will do so through Ancestry i.e. you will get an email from Ancestry with the message, so your email is not publicized.

Only you can change your family tree(s) on Ancestry, as it is password protected. You can also remove your tree at any time. Before I uploaded my family tree via GEDCOM file to Ancestry, I compiled it in Legacy.
This is a bit off the OP, but what especially do you like about Legacy?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:07 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

I agree - this is all true and I would only add that using Ancestry.com's Family Tree Maker doesn't mean you have to use their online trees. Only the latest version of FTM even allows a true sync between the FTM tree and the online tree and that is optional, you do not have to upload your tree online.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
I, too, have been doing genealogy for over 30 years, so I understand what you're dealing with.

I would caution you to look carefully at software packages before you take the leap. Also, be cautious with the "ratings" sites. All too often, their criteria is not my criteria. Many of them rate Family Tree Maker the highest. No doubt it is the top selling. No doubt it is easy to use. But does it do the careful job of documenting my genealogy the way I want it to? Absolutely not. I wouldn't use it if it was free. I tried it once when I won a copy years ago, and threw it away.

Hands down, the best software out there is The Master Genealogist (TMG). But ... it's not the easiest to learn to use, if you're not great with computers. At least, that's what I've run into with classes I've taught. But, it's the most powerful program available. But, a problem with that power is, it has a high learning curve before you can use all those facets of the program. But as a beginner, you don't have to use all that power. Personally, I cannot forsee a day that I will ever NOT use it. I'd been through at least four programs before TMG was created. And that's it for me.

Legacy isn't too bad a runner up, but still ... TMG is my choice. Both are available for free "test-driving" - so do take advantage of that before buying.

As for Ancestry.com - I agree with what others have said here. There is high degree of privacy. Just be sure when you create, or upload, your tree that you mark it as private right then. If you go back and do it later, it might be too late, and they'll have indexed it, and it'll all be out there. You can invite people to view your tree in one of three levels. As simply a viewer, or allow them to add photos or make comments on your tree, or you can allow them to edit your information (like if you were working on a tree together with someone else). I always invite them at that second level - I'm happy to have people add photos, comments, etc. to my tree (which I can later edit or delete if I feel the need) - as long as they can't change what I've put there. And any one of those levels, you can allow them to view living people. I don't do that, except with immediate family.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default Allowing Others to Add to Your Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
As for Ancestry.com - I agree with what others have said here. There is high degree of privacy. Just be sure when you create, or upload, your tree that you mark it as private right then. If you go back and do it later, it might be too late, and they'll have indexed it, and it'll all be out there. You can invite people to view your tree in one of three levels. As simply a viewer, or allow them to add photos or make comments on your tree, or you can allow them to edit your information (like if you were working on a tree together with someone else). I always invite them at that second level - I'm happy to have people add photos, comments, etc. to my tree (which I can later edit or delete if I feel the need) - as long as they can't change what I've put there. And any one of those levels, you can allow them to view living people. I don't do that, except with immediate family.
Lots of good advice, thanks.

If you allow someone to add photos, comments, etc. to your tree and want to later edit or delete them, how do you discern what they added versus what you created before that. Do their written additions look differently than yours?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
What in your opinion makes one program better than another? What would you want in a program? This from a person that has only used paper charts where you enter the name, date of birth, date of death, and other basic information. I have yet to purchase a program my self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy