Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times

Advertisements

since all races adapted to the environment over many thousands of years to help survive in the climate in which they lived

can people of mongoloid races like a Inuit / Eskimo endure extreme cold climate more efficiently than a non mongoloid race

or is everybody the same and it depend how well you can adapt

seems like a short stocky build would endure cold weather much more efficiently than a tall thin person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
since all races adapted to the environment over many thousands of years to help survive in the climate in which they lived

can people of mongoloid races like a Inuit / Eskimo endure extreme cold climate more efficiently than a non mongoloid race

seems like a short stocky build would endure cold weather much more efficiently than a tall thin person
sigh...

This is a "genealogy" forum area, not for anthropological-based discussions...

Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
personally I question whether there's a clear line about where genealogy stops and anthropology begins. I'm not the slightest bit offended by racial questions, either. I don't consider myself "liberal" or "conservative", but I feel there's a distinct political angle to these objections to discussing race; I don't like having political correctness forced upon me.

ge·ne·al·o·gy
noun 

1. A line of descent traced continuously from an ancestor
- combing through the birth records and genealogies

2. The study and tracing of lines of descent or development

3. A plant's or animal's line of evolutionary development from earlier forms

Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
I never intended this to be offensive, I have always been interested in the history of early man and how people originated and developed / evolved into what we are today

Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I understand, and I'm not someone to jump to being offended, but some of the posts about who is or is not really white, or who looks or doesn't look Jewish, are apparently just meant to inflame.

Legitimate questions about lineage could fall into "genealogy" but if you look back over posts frm the past 12 months, there are a lot about facial features, hair, etc of certain people or ethnicities, and you know it has nothing to do with the poster's exploration of his/her own family history.

this post seems to have a legitimate inquiry--do some races handle extreme temperatures better than others? But does it have anything to do with the person's family history research?

That's why we need a separate forum.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Quote:

Quote:
I never intended this to be offensive, I have always been interested in the history of early man and how people originated and developed / evolved into what we are today
Anthropologically speaking there's no such thing as "race", it has no scientific basis in biology, the concept of race is purely sociological.

Cold adaptation is not racial, it is biological.

Human Biological Adaptability: Adapting to Climate Extremes

Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I think they do have some adaptations, but ultimately all humans require thick clothing and other adaptations, like living in igloos, in order to survive in the sub-arctic and arctic regions.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think they do have some adaptations, but ultimately all humans require thick clothing and other adaptations, like living in igloos, in order to survive in the sub-arctic and arctic regions.
They do, but the short, thick bodies are best for retaining heat, just as the Masai of Africa are tall and thin, which works best for people in hot equatorial lands. The Neanderthal, who were ice-age people, also were short and thick and stocky.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
If mongoloids can live on the roof top of the world like the Himalayas and also live in Siberia which is also freezing cold I guess they can also live in the Arctic too.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 AM

397 posts, read 319,131 times
There are cold-adapted Mongoloids such as the Inuit, Aleut and Yupik groups. And then there are tropical-adapted Mongoloids such as the ones who've inhabited Southeast Asia for a long time, but are not native to the region. The native people of SEA are Negritos, who physically resemble African Pygmies, but are actually Austroloid-Melanesian. There are sub-types of Mongoloids and Caucasians who are cold-adapted. There aren't any cold-adapted Negroids at this point though, because they haven't been living in cold environments long enough. I suppose that the ones who live in cold environments as of now, might evolve over millennia assuming they remain in their current environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy