Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Is there any way to authenticate a possible post-morteum picture?

I inherited an old photo album from my g-grandmother, its mostly from the Victorian era. There's a picture of a child I think was done post-morteum. She would be my grandmother's sister, and, if I'm correct, she died from measles in 1889.

The picture shows a little girl, with her head shaved. My mother thought it was my grandmother, but the facts point more to my grandmother's sister. My mother did say the shaved head was an attempt to control the spread of measles.

I looked up measles during that time. They did shave long hair in a rather vain attempt to control the spread of the disease. I would imagine this is why her head was shaved. However, pictures back then were very expensive, perhaps a once in a lifetime event. So, why would someone pay the expense of a photograph when they weren't at their best---a shaved head? Answer, because the child was dead and that was their only chance for a picture.

I've studied the picture carefully. It appears she is standing on one foot, the other leg bent slightly at the knee, an akward pose for a child to maintain, but a common pose for a post-morteum.

Well, I just wondered if there's any place that could actually determine if the photo is indeed post-morteum? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is there any way to authenticate a possible post-morteum picture?

I inherited an old photo album from my g-grandmother, its mostly from the Victorian era. There's a picture of a child I think was done post-morteum. She would be my grandmother's sister, and, if I'm correct, she died from measles in 1889.

The picture shows a little girl, with her head shaved. My mother thought it was my grandmother, but the facts point more to my grandmother's sister. My mother did say the shaved head was an attempt to control the spread of measles.

I looked up measles during that time. They did shave long hair in a rather vain attempt to control the spread of the disease. I would imagine this is why her head was shaved. However, pictures back then were very expensive, perhaps a once in a lifetime event. So, why would someone pay the expense of a photograph when they weren't at their best---a shaved head? Answer, because the child was dead and that was their only chance for a picture.

I've studied the picture carefully. It appears she is standing on one foot, the other leg bent slightly at the knee, an akward pose for a child to maintain, but a common pose for a post-morteum.

Well, I just wondered if there's any place that could actually determine if the photo is indeed post-morteum? Thanks
One of the biggest things to look for is obviously the stand. Is the position one that "dead weight" could hold? If an arm is resting against the side with the elbow bend, unsupported, it can't be a post morteum. Look at the position of the head. The chin will generally be resting down against the chest to keep the mouth shut in a post morteum shot. You can also ask the opinion of a photo gallery expert. They are a wealth of information!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Thanks!

One thing about the photo that puzzled me---how could her mouth be shut with her head in an uplifted position? I studied the photo some more. she is wearing a high collar, it looks stiff, like cotton and linen, with lace. If you study it very carefully, you can see a tiny little thing, like a stick, propping her chin.

Although you can't see a stand, it appears one is there. Its the way her lower body appears to be a "dead weight". Her legs are crossed at the knees, she appears to be standing with one foot raised. However, upon closer inspection, the other foot is resting on a cleverly concealed wood plank.

This must be their daughter, with the expense of photos back then. Alive or dead? Well, I know from personal papers she died at age 7. Like I said who would take a picture of a child not at their best, with a shaved head? Back in the Victorian Era, a shaved head was considered a stigma of shame. No one would document that!

Ok, we will never know for sure, but I'm going to say this is Alma, and this is a post-morteum. RIP little child!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
They used stands for living people as well at times. The exposure times were so long, that if someone moved, the image would be blurry - so they had stands that were hidden behind the subject, and kept the head from moving too much.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Post mortem pictures, especially of babies or children were common and the "last" remembrance
of that individual. Stands were usually easy to spot, also either the "far away" or "piercing" look of
the opened eyes. If you look on google.com images you can probably find these types of photos.
Today we may think they are macabre but back then, about 1860-1900 or so, they treasured these
keepsakes.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Post mortem pictures, especially of babies or children were common and the "last" remembrance
of that individual. Stands were usually easy to spot, also either the "far away" or "piercing" look of
the opened eyes. If you look on google.com images you can probably find these types of photos.
Today we may think they are macabre but back then, about 1860-1900 or so, they treasured these
keepsakes.
True, people didn't have the near constant access to photo or video recording that exists today. The death bed or coffin photo was often the only remembrance of a beloved child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy