Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

I've got my new computer but haven't started it up yet.

What free family tree program do you like or do you suggest buying one?

Also, what browser add ons do you suggest? I normally use firefox but can use chrome too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Also, what browser add ons do you suggest? I normally use firefox but can use chrome too.
I use RootsMagic. It only costs about $30.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 AM

948 posts, read 920,860 times
For free online programs, you can try:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/

https://www.wikitree.com/

Offline, I use the open source program Gramps at https://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/ .

Old 03-03-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I use RootsMagic. It only costs about $30.
Thanks, will check out the free verses paid. I have the free version on this computer, even worked with it with my family search tree but some how what I did didn't get saved so I have to start again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
For free online programs, you can try:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/

https://www.wikitree.com/

Offline, I use the open source program Gramps at https://gramps-project.org/introduction-WP/ .
Online I have a tree at my heritage, my main tree on ancestry with my matching public tree at family search then some relatives on wiki tree. It's funny, at my heritage it's giving my family search tree as hints.

Looking for a computer program. Will check out gramps.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-03-2019 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 06:00 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
My Heritage has a free software program that I use occasionally ( https://www.myheritage.com ). I switched my main family tree to Geni.com as it has lot more free features (and it is associated with My Heritage). Another good free online family tree is Family Echo ( https://www.familyecho.com/ ) which I have an older version of part of family tree on as well.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:16 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Thanks, will check out the free verses paid. I have the free version on this computer, even worked with it with my family search tree but some how what I did didn't get saved so I have to start again.

Online I have a tree at my heritage, my main tree on ancestry with my matching public tree at family search then some relatives on wiki tree. It's funny, at my heritage it's giving my family search tree as hints.

Looking for a computer program. Will check out gramps.
I think the free version lets you enter a limited number of people. I did that, found it easy to use, and then purchased it.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,327 times
You can try a free version from https://treemily.com/ - this is an easy family tree builder. If you like it then you can upgrade and get more features.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:05 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:

To install on your computer? I have never found a free one I really like - I think you get what you pay for with this. I can't remember if you have a tree/subscription at Ancestry.com but only Family Tree Maker and RootsMagic will sync with an Ancestry.com tree. They will also both sync with FamilySearch if you do work there. FTM costs $80, RootsMagic costs $30. I prefer FTM and think it's worth the higher price, but many people are happy with RootsMagic. The free version of RootsMagic (RootsMagic Essentials) will not include the tree sync but you can try out the free version to see if you like the interface before purchasing. FTM does not have a free/trial version.

Legacy is another popular one, but it does not sync with Ancestry trees. They say it has FamilySearch "integration" but not sure what that includes. The benefit is that it's very versatile and probably has more features and customization than any other program but the biggest complaint about it is that many people do not find it very intuitive/user friendly. It costs $35, and they have a free version with limited features.

MyHeritage make software called Family Tree Builder (not to be confused with Family Tree Maker), which is free, easy to use, and syncs with your MyHeritage tree, but if you don't have a subscription, their website caps your online tree at 250 people. It's weird though because I don't have a subscription and my tree there has 588 people and all it does it give me a constant reminder that I've exceeded the limit and should subscribe. But I don't and they've never removed people or anything. And you can use FTB without ever syncing to the website. However, I think just like with Ancestry.com, you get the most out of using their tree builders (both on the website and the software) by subscribing and having your tree and research in one place.

Those are the ones I have experience with. There's also ones like Ancestral Quest which I don't much about but I think it syncs with FamilySearch, and kind of took over from PAF when it was discontinued. It costs $30 and has a free version with limited features.

Family Historian is one I've heard about, but I don't think it syncs with anything - they have a free 30 day trial, after which it costs $46.50.

Reunion is another I've heard about, and Brother's Keeper. Don't know anything about them and I don't have time to check right now.

Quote:
I use MedBetterDNA for AncestryDNA (only on Chrome I think), and RecordSeek (I think it can be used with any browser).

Old 08-03-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
To install on your computer? I have never found a free one I really like - I think you get what you pay for with this. I can't remember if you have a tree/subscription at Ancestry.com but only Family Tree Maker and RootsMagic will sync with an Ancestry.com tree. They will also both sync with FamilySearch if you do work there. FTM costs $80, RootsMagic costs $30. I prefer FTM and think it's worth the higher price, but many people are happy with RootsMagic. The free version of RootsMagic (RootsMagic Essentials) will not include the tree sync but you can try out the free version to see if you like the interface before purchasing. FTM does not have a free/trial version.

Legacy is another popular one, but it does not sync with Ancestry trees. They say it has FamilySearch "integration" but not sure what that includes. The benefit is that it's very versatile and probably has more features and customization than any other program but the biggest complaint about it is that many people do not find it very intuitive/user friendly. It costs $35, and they have a free version with limited features.

MyHeritage make software called Family Tree Builder (not to be confused with Family Tree Maker), which is free, easy to use, and syncs with your MyHeritage tree, but if you don't have a subscription, their website caps your online tree at 250 people. It's weird though because I don't have a subscription and my tree there has 588 people and all it does it give me a constant reminder that I've exceeded the limit and should subscribe. But I don't and they've never removed people or anything. And you can use FTB without ever syncing to the website. However, I think just like with Ancestry.com, you get the most out of using their tree builders (both on the website and the software) by subscribing and having your tree and research in one place.

Those are the ones I have experience with. There's also ones like Ancestral Quest which I don't much about but I think it syncs with FamilySearch, and kind of took over from PAF when it was discontinued. It costs $30 and has a free version with limited features.

Family Historian is one I've heard about, but I don't think it syncs with anything - they have a free 30 day trial, after which it costs $46.50.

Reunion is another I've heard about, and Brother's Keeper. Don't know anything about them and I don't have time to check right now.

I use MedBetterDNA for AncestryDNA (only on Chrome I think), and RecordSeek (I think it can be used with any browser).
Thanks PA2UK. I saw your reply the other day but didn't have time to really read and take it all in. I google searched for all the programs you suggested and may try Legacy since it syncs with Ancestry and Family Search but want to go back and reread them all. I may try them all just to see what is easiest and works for what I'm doing.

Right now I',m using Firefox because that's what I used on the old computer but I also installed Chrome and will try to import my book marks into it to try the browser add ons. I didn't have luck searching for DNA or family tree related add ons for Firefox. The MedBetterDNA isn't available for firefox but I;m going to add it to chrome now

Family Tree Maker costs $80
RootsMagic RootsMagic costs $30
RootsMagic Essentials free version of RootsMagic
Legacy Family Tree comes in two editions:
Legacy 9.0 Standard Edition is free
Legacy 9.0 Deluxe
complete list of Deluxe Edition features, click here.

Google search - Does Legacy Family Tree sync with ancestry?
The top program was Legacy Family Tree and the 2nd best was Family Historian with FTM 3rd. ... It says in the reviews that it can be used to sync with Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org, allow you to print trees, and search from within the program much like Ancestry or FTM, and many, many other things.

My Heritage - Family Tree Builder
Ancestral Quest syncs with FamilySearch, costs $30 and has a free version with limited features.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
My dad is a big fan of geni.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy