Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times

Advertisements

How do you go about finding a good company to research your family background and how much does it usually cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,236 times
Usually genealogy research is done by an individual. Here is a link to Association of Professional Genealogists Association of Professional Genealogists. You can also Google "professional genealogists" Some people who do research are certified (like the APG members), and some are not. I think the costs are varied, but they usually charge by the hour.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Ancestry.com also has an option to "hire an expert": Expert Connect - Ancestry.com

Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Ancestry.com also has an option to "hire an expert": Expert Connect - Ancestry.com
I've never used the Ancestry.com option, so I cannot comment on it.

But I have on two occasions hired a genealogist, who was located where I could not go, to look for specific pieces of documentation or search for specific people.

In both cases I was very satisfied, and in each case I went back a second time.

I approached it by looking on the internet for a professional who was in the geographical area that I was interested in. I looked at various local historical web sites, genealogical sites and just Googled "genealogists Xtown."

Once I found a few people I examined their credentials that they stated on their web sites, and I followed up by Googling their names to see what came up that way.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
I agree. Find someone in the local vicinity. Many many records are not on the internet. One still has to do local research in the local archival repositories.

Try the historical society in the area of research- they often have referrals.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I agree. Find someone in the local vicinity. Many many records are not on the internet. One still has to do local research in the local archival repositories.

Try the historical society in the area of research- they often have referrals.
The experts you can hire on Ancestry.com do not merely work on the internet/Ancestry.com. If you notice from the link I posted, you can search for an expert by geographical location. They also have the option of hiring someone to simply do a record pick up, cemetery photos and other things that are based in areas you can't get to online. Don't assume that just because you're finding an expert through Ancestry, they will only use the internet or one website for their research.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
You can make a lot of progress yourself with libraries and online.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,486,555 times
The internet is full of location specific genealogy groups, especially on Yahoo! Join a few and I'm sure you'll find other members ready and willing to help for free. Some of them may already have some of the info you are seeking.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
How do you go about finding a good company to research your family background and how much does it usually cost?

The best ones are the Mormons..Im not a Mormon..But dont know how they do it..but they record almost every birth..they are amazing..they do it for free too..

Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,486,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
The best ones are the Mormons..Im not a Mormon..But dont know how they do it..but they record almost every birth..they are amazing..they do it for free too..
They are good, but not neccesarily the best or most accurate. You have to keep in mind that they do have an agenda. I once had a long-term relationship with a former Mormon, as well as having a Mormon employer. Very often they do not find primary source material to prove a link in the family tree and will add someone simply because they APPEAR to fit. In this way then "seal" or "baptise" more ancestors and deceased "relatives." This isn't to say that all Mormons are as slip-shod, you just have to be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy