Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 01:38 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,851 times

Advertisements

European descended people outside Europe number almost half a billion, and African descended people outside Africa number almost 200 million. I'm wondering about whether or not these two groups are considered indigenous to their respective continents after living in North and South America (as well as the Caribbean, Australia, and New Zealand) for the past 250-500 years. Of course whites and blacks are not indigenous to the Americas or Oceania considering there are native populations that have been there for thousands of years before them.

One would think European descendants and African descendants are still technically indigenous to their respective continents, but consider this: Europeans of various ethnic groups often intermixed among one another in North and South America, which created a huge contemporary white population of around 450 million that are largely mixed with two or three European ethnic groups; some even have five or more ancestries. I'm one of them since I'm a mix of Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, and French. And heck, if I did a DNA test, I'd probably find even more ancestries in my lineage.

A portion of the white populations on these two continents also have some African ancestry from past miscegenation between Europeans and Africans. The same applies to the African descended populations; many of them have varying amounts of European ancestry. To top it off, several present day whites and blacks have Native American admixture as a result of indigenous peoples intermixing with European settlers and runaway and freed African slaves.

Because the present day white and black populations outside Europe and Africa are so mixed, is it still possible to consider them indigenous to Europe and Africa respectively on a genealogical basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:36 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Yes, but with the caveat that you mentioned regarding mixing that makes it difficult to pinpoint exactly where you are indigenous to (note, the same is true for people of African ancestry, and perhaps even more so given that, at least in the US, African Americans have been found to have, on average, between 15-20% European ancestry).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy