Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,685 times

Advertisements

Another Ancestry question! I've looked at results that people have posted from 23and me and its all colorful and fully broken down with what seems like pages of stuff.

When I look at the Ancestry.com site and what the results look like, it appears that you only get a small paragraph with your percents and a pie chart! Is this right?

I want pages of stuff! Lol!! I think my hubby and son got the Ancestry kit as gift for me . I just came back from the mailbox and there was the Ancestry box addressed to my son who just happens to be out of town for a few days, so it is sitting on the kitchen table awaiting his return. I'm sure it is for me and I hate that the surprise was spoiled.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:30 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,305,582 times
So Ancestry includes a variety of information as well. The biggest difference is 23andme includes a few things ancestry does not test for:

* Y haplogroup (only applicable if your a man)
* mtDNA Haplogroup (deep ancestral haplogroup)
* Neanderthal DNA percentage (mostly just novelty)
* Chromosome painting of your ethnic results

While they both test for the same autosomal ethnicity sort of thing as well as provide matches. I will say that 23andme tends to have the best ethnicity estimates while Ancestry includes more contextual regional historical information than 23andme (most of which you can just google up and learn yourself anyways, but nice to have for a quick perusal).

The one area where Ancestry has an advantage is direct integration with their trees and member matches, this means most people you match have a tree you can compare and it has great tools for finding any overlapping ancestors for you automatically as well as assigning you into "circle" of other people who match you, eachother, and share the tree ancestor entry. I've attached pics of both 23andme results and ancestry results for comparison. The are my mother's results which I tested in both companies.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.13.01   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.13.49   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.13.12   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.12.44   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.15.16  

Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.11.38   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.12.08   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.12.30   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.12.25   Ancestry DNA Kit-screen-shot-2015-08-13-4.12.19  

Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,305,582 times
For context the first 4 pics are 23andme, the rest are ancestry DNA

Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
So Ancestry includes a variety of information as well. The biggest difference is 23andme includes a few things ancestry does not test for:

While they both test for the same autosomal ethnicity sort of thing as well as provide matches. I will say that 23andme tends to have the best ethnicity estimates while Ancestry includes more contextual regional historical information than 23andme (most of which you can just google up and learn yourself anyways, but nice to have for a quick perusal).

The one area where Ancestry has an advantage is direct integration with their trees and member matches, this means most people you match have a tree you can compare and it has great tools for finding any overlapping ancestors for you automatically as well as assigning you into "circle" of other people who match you, eachother, and share the tree ancestor entry. I've attached pics of both 23andme results and ancestry results for comparison. The are my mother's results which I tested in both companies.
Thank you for posting so I can compare!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Another Ancestry question! I've looked at results that people have posted from 23and me and its all colorful and fully broken down with what seems like pages of stuff.

When I look at the Ancestry.com site and what the results look like, it appears that you only get a small paragraph with your percents and a pie chart! Is this right?
No, I wouldn't say that - Ancestry's results have a lot of details about the different ethnic categories when you click on them and expand them. They also give you a percentage range, not just a hard number, which represents the numerous analyses they run and the different results they get with each one. They also have a map that shows the different regions a category covers, how your percentage compares to natives of that region, other regions commonly found in natives of those regions, migration history of that group, etc. Apart from the map, 23andMe have none of these features.

23andMe do have some features that Ancestry.com doesn't - namely that they show you which segments of your DNA they have placed into which categories (chromosome view) and that they have options to view more conservative or more speculative estimations on on the percentages/regions (kind of similar to Ancestry's percentage range).

But it's important to understand that even with 23andMe, the ethnicity percentages are only an estimate and they should not be taken literally. No amount of pages of data is going to change that.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
I am female. If I'm interested in finding out the ethnic component of my mother's line, will Ancestry do that?

I was just reading a newspaper article where a woman did all the DNA and then remarked about not being able to get an entire part of the line because that can only be from a male relative.

Does anyone know about that?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I am female. If I'm interested in finding out the ethnic component of my mother's line, will Ancestry do that?

I was just reading a newspaper article where a woman did all the DNA and then remarked about not being able to get an entire part of the line because that can only be from a male relative.

Does anyone know about that?
The article is talking about Y-DNA and mtDNA tests, which Ancestry.com do not provide. mtDNA is inherited by everyone, male and female alike, but only passed down through the direct female line. So results from an mtDNA test only provide data from your mother, your mother's mother, your mother's mother's mother, etc. The same is true on the male side for Y-DNA except it tests the Y-chromosome which females do not have. So only men can take the Y-DNA test, and it only provides data on his father, his father's father, his father's father's father, etc. So neither of them will provide any data on any other branches - like your dad's maternal side, or your mother's paternal side.

Ancestry.com provide an autosomal DNA test - or atDNA. This provides data on ALL your branches, but it is not able to tell you what data came from which side or which branch.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:18 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post

Right. This is exactly why I find Ancestry so much more valuable for me, personally.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,160 times
So I have a question Maybe some here can help with. Sorry long post...

My father always told my brother and I that we were 1/4 native american, he being 1/2. He said that on that side we had Pequot blood and that of another tribe I am less sure of (woodlands from the great lakes area, possibly Mohawk),

My mother told me at my father's funeral in 1995, that my dad made it all up because he just wanted to believe it. I think she is full of crap and is suffering from the racial prejudice that people still had against native people when I was a child in the 70's. She also refuses to believe that humans walked on the moon, so not the best source of accurate information.Anyway I would like to get a DNA test just to see if my father was correct and we do carry some native american blood. I would love for that to be true mainly because I think my dad deserves to be proven not a liar.

My father had a close relationship with the Pequot tribe in his later years and carved ceremonial pipes for some of them. I have very faint memories of attending pow wows as a very small child before my mother left my father and took us away. I have had no contact with my native heritage since then other than to visit the occasional museum.

I once did try doing some ancestry look up on Ancestry.com but was unable to get past my fathers information. I don't have the patience for genealogy nor the money to pay someone to research my family tree.

So being a female and wanting to find native american dna from my father's side which DNA test would be the best choice?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
So being a female and wanting to find native american dna from my father's side which DNA test would be the best choice?
It doesn't matter if you are male or female. Both 23andMe and AncestryDNA (do not confuse this with AncestrybyDNA, which is not a reputable company) will pick up if you have even less than 1% Native American DNA.

But keep in mind that many people grow up with family stories of Native American ancestry which turn out to be complete fiction when they actually do the research and/or test their DNA. It should not be that difficult to do some research on your father's family in free databases like familysearch.org, but if you are only interested in knowing if you have Native DNA, you can take one of those tests. If your father was 1/2 Native by blood (extremely unlikely east of the Mississippi) it would definitely show up in your DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy