Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times

Advertisements

I saw an example this weekend of someone posting about Find a Grave, and they abbreviated it to F A G. Several others thought the person was making a homophobic slur! I had to jump in and point our that for those of us who do ancestry research all the time, the first thing we thing when we see "F A G" is Find a Grave.

Then I started thinking, we need a list of "things only Genealogy people will understand."

I'll start, but please add in your own (this is a fun thread).

1. When we type F A G, it's not a homophobic slur.

2. Feeling sorry for people who can't even name their great-grandparents.

3. How even the thought of the 1890 census raises our blood pressure.

4. Talking about a person who lived 200 years ago by name, as if we know him/her.

5. Wondering why there aren't more kids these days named Nehemiah, Rejoice, Meribah, or Clemency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:33 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
What a good idea for a thread.

My contributions:

Saying, "Hi, cuz" to someone you have never even met who is your 5th cousin.
All this talk of Brick Walls has nothing to do with buildings.
Getting totally frustrated with ancestors who insisted upon using a common name like John generation after generation after generation.

There are many more...

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Knowing you have all these "very high confidence" cousins out there who don't care to build a freaking tree.

Kneeling in mud in an old cemetery doing a rubbing on a Chick Fil-A Bag with a Clinique eyeliner, because that's all that was available.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:24 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Knowing your grandparents' exact birth dates, cheat sheet not required.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Understanding how to classify cousins by degree and generations removed.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:54 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,305,582 times
Understanding that genealogy work is both easier and much harder than most people suspect.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Trying to stifle a yawn when someone says they are descended from Charlemagne.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:03 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Understanding how to classify cousins by degree and generations removed.
Yes-- and when you get odd looks when you talk about your "half third cousin once removed", and for a second sort of expecting them to know what the heck you're talking about, and then catching yourself.

How about: When you know more about your dead relatives than your living ones. And maybe care more about them too.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
The feeling of comfort and connection you experience in a cemetery filled with graves of people you are related to.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,305,582 times
Thinking who your distant ancestors were and that it genuinely matters in your life. I think that's one of the biggest differences when I talk with someone whose into genealogy and isn't. For example when I share some of the stories I learn with my mom over the phone she is mildly interested, but almost always comes back to it doesn't really matter in our lives. I try to convey my perspective, that many things in our lives that are very important really don't *have* to be... anything belief based, self identify based, things we are proud or disappointed with, honestly most things that we determine make us happy or sad. They are all things we choose to assign value to but most don't necessarily have intrinsic value associated with them. It's the same with ancestry, when you learn it, especially as you learn more intimate details about the people, the places, or the cultures it really impacts you far more than you probably thought it would.

Plus we wouldn't exist if they didn't exist and did what they did, so all those factors are as much a part of our DNA as the actual bits of DNA we inherit from them (which it's important to remember that though we don't have DNA from all our ancestors, it's more-so we don't currently know how to evaluate those super small segments accurately, certainly many of the tiniest bits and signatures of DNA came from many of our ancestors all around, we just can't confidently assign them currently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy