Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 06:52 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times

Advertisements

I recently helped a friend find her birth family after 23 years of searching.

Her mother changed her SS card to reflect the name of the birth father. Her newly found full sister (who was told my friend died at 3 days old) said their mother told her she was never married to their father, yet she took his last name at some point.

Does anyone know what the rules/laws were for changing your name on your SS card back in the 50's? Would one had to do a legal name change back then to change their SS?? Does anyone know if the SS files for an individual would have the reason for the name change in their files and the year it was done?

TIA for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I recently helped a friend find her birth family after 23 years of searching.

Her mother changed her SS card to reflect the name of the birth father. Her newly found full sister (who was told my friend died at 3 days old) said their mother told her she was never married to their father, yet she took his last name at some point.

Does anyone know what the rules/laws were for changing your name on your SS card back in the 50's? Would one had to do a legal name change back then to change their SS?? Does anyone know if the SS files for an individual would have the reason for the name change in their files and the year it was done?

TIA for any input.
Please clarify. Your friend's mother changed her own surname on the SS card or that of your friend's?

Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Please clarify. Your friend's mother changed her own surname on the SS card or that of your friend's?
My friends mother changed her surname to my friends father's name, but they were never married. Was wondering how that could take place back then, unless she just requested a legal name change? Her sister grew up with the father's last name because he was named as such on the birth certificate. He was actually married to someone else at the time of both of their births.

Was wondering if she was able to obtain a copy of her mothers SS information if when the name change occurred, it would show the reason behind it.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:31 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My friends mother changed her surname to my friends father's name, but they were never married. Was wondering how that could take place back then, unless she just requested a legal name change? Her sister grew up with the father's last name because he was named as such on the birth certificate. He was actually married to someone else at the time of both of their births.

Was wondering if she was able to obtain a copy of her mothers SS information if when the name change occurred, it would show the reason behind it.
It is possible she applied for the card AFTER she had changed her name. In that case there would be no documentation in her SS record.

Here are a few more considerations. Back in the "old days" one did not need to go to court to change his or her name. If I wanted to, as recently as the 1980's, early 1990's, I could have chosen a different name, used it consistently and without the intent to defraud anyone, and my chosen name would become my legal name. A court order recognizing the change was not needed. The new name became the "legal name". Social Security followed state law. Thus, if I showed sufficient documentation, i.e. tax return, utility bill, whatever, that had my new name, SS would have accepted my new name.

You did not mention whether the father ever lived with the mother. There were a lot of states that recognized common law marriage. If she lived in one of those states and claimed common law marriage, SSA was legally required to recognize the marriage as legitimate and would have accepted the name change. If the mother needed documents to support her claim of marriage, those would have been easily attainable.

Regardless, if she changed her name after she applied for her card the only way to know if this information would be available is to request it.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Thanks Lenora. I will tell my friend to try to request the records. But, you are probably right, she most likely just went by the name of the father. They never lived together and CLM was not valid in the state. I'm waiting to see if my friends sister finds her birth certificate and how it lists the mothers last name.

Again, I appreciate the reply and your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy