Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:50 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

I just found some links to this Melendia and found 2 email addresses of people who are searching for info. I emailed them to ask if they know anything about this marriage to Clubb. Never know. Will let you know if I hear anything positive back.

It would be odd, I think, to have 2 people named Columbus Clubb living in the same area, about the same age. The brother got married just days before. Both are on the registry.

I'm going to now let this one go, but will report if there is any information to follow up with. If these people think there is a link I will send them a link to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Since birth and death registrations in North Carolina did not begin until 1913, that could pose a problem. I suggest you try searching on family search with whatever Maude Clubb and then Jesse Clubb info you have (I didn't find any Maudes but there are a few Jesses). Find a Grave has 100 or so Clubbs. If Maude didn't take her father's name, she may never be found.
I was going to mention this as well in regards to the bold.

You will not find any sort of birth registration held by the state unless the local county the person is from did it themselves (which is unlikely) or you know their religion and the church they attended and that church kept baptismal/christening records of newborn children (also a stretch and unlikely since this person is not related to you).

A large amount of states did not keep records of births (or deaths) until they were required to do so by the federal government after the turn of the 20th century.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:45 AM

14,451 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was going to mention this as well in regards to the bold.

You will not find any sort of birth registration held by the state unless the local county the person is from did it themselves (which is unlikely) or you know their religion and the church they attended and that church kept baptismal/christening records of newborn children (also a stretch and unlikely since this person is not related to you).

A large amount of states did not keep records of births (or deaths) until they were required to do so by the federal government after the turn of the 20th century.

There is a descendant that can try to get those records. I'll pass on your idea to them. As you can see in the obituary the churches were actually mills and the residence was a mill. The current church was contacted and they confirmed no records from that period of time.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There is a descendant that can try to get those records. I'll pass on your idea to them. As you can see in the obituary the churches were actually mills and the residence was a mill. The current church was contacted and they confirmed no records from that period of time.
Good luck on your search for the information.

I know that the period between 1880 and 1900 for me is the worse for records. The area I live in stopped keeping records of deaths for some reason in the 1880s. They have some in the 1890s but they are not as detailed as the ones from the 1860s and 1870s. It is odd. I have lots of good info from 1860-1880, hardly anything from 1875-1897 then in 1900 things get better and by 1908 they are very good. I have had to rely on cemetery records for many of the people in my own family tree who died between 1875 and 1897. Our public cemeteries and the main private one kept better records regarding deaths versus the the county. Cemeteries also, luckily, had information about funeral homes and there was one funeral home who handled burials for my family for many generations and they kept excellent records that were donated to a local university of which the public is allowed to access.

For birth records, I really don't rely on them very much because they are hit or miss for me. Most of the people I research, I don't find many birth records unless they are very early (late 1700s-mid 1800s) and are a part of county or church records.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:33 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Howard, to answer your question so I can provide info for others who may be trying to find Clubb Ancestry info.

Hi,
Can you tell me where you found this fact?

"It appears in 1910 JC Clubb was listed as living in Rock Hill, SC"
Marriage records on Ancestry. It appears Mr. Clubb married many times. There's just over 1 year between the 2 marriages. Parents of Mr. Clubb are listed as the same on both records, which is just one of the things I went on to tie these together as being one of the same. BTW, there is also a Clubb Family Tree which lists both parties in tree

Name:Lottie Gibson Gender:Female Race:WhiteA ge:36 Birth Year:abt 1873 Marriage Date:28 Jan 1909 Marriage Place:Scotland, North Carolina, USA Father:N B Gibson Mother:E J Gibson Spouse: J C Clubb Spouse Gender:Male Spouse Race:White Spouse Age:47 Spouse Father:William ClubbS pouse Mother:Jane ClubbE vent Type:Marriage
Name:Jesse Columbus Clubb Gender:Male Race:White Age:49 Birth Year:abt 1861 Marriage Date:7 May 1910 Marriage Place:Richmond, North Carolina, USA Father:William Clubb Mother:Jane Clubb Spouse: Catherine E Williams Spouse Gender:Female Spouse Race:WhiteSpouse Age:27 Spouse Father:Jerry Williams Spouse Mother:Annie H Williams Event Type:Marriage
Once again, information was interpreted/spelled wrong. As I was looking for more info on Lottie, I came up with this info:

Name:Lettie Gibson Gender:Female Race:White Age:36 Birth Year:abt 1873 Marriage Date:28 Jan 1909 Marriage Place:Scotland, North Carolina, USA Spouse: J C Chubb Spouse Gender:Male Spouse Race:White Spouse Age:47 Event Type:Marriage

Again, I am finding a lot of people in the 1800's used their middle name as their first name. It appears Lottie's real name was Jane:

Name:Jane Gibson Age:9 Birth Year:abt 1871Birthplace:North Carolina Home in 1880:Williamson, Richmond, North Carolina Race:White Gender:Female Relation to Head of House Daughter Marital Status:Single Father's name:Nelson Gibson Father's Birthplace:North Carolina Mother's name:Eliza J. Gibson Mother's Birthplace:North Carolina

Who, yet again, name being misspelled, and DOB seems to be more accurate:

Name:Lotta J Gibson Age:29 Birth Date:Sep 1870 Birthplace:North Carolina Home in 1900:Williamson, Scotland, North Carolina Race:White Gender:Female Relation to Head of House Daughter Marital Status:Single Father's name:Nelson Gibson Father's Birthplace:North Carolina Mother's name:Liza Gibson Mother's Birthplace:North Carolina

I'm guessing Lottie/Jane died shortly after marriage. In 1910 is shows Eliza Gibson as having 9 children with 5 living. The 1900 census shows Jane alive, and that out of 9 children 6 were living.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 562 times
I am David Charles Clubb, son of Charles Wesley Clubb, grandson of Clifford Wright Clubb, great grandson of Thomas Clingman “TC” Clubb and 2nd great grandson of Jesse Columbus “JC” Clubb. They we’re all born in NC except for me in Atlanta, Ga.
JC was a circuit riding preacher in the Wesleyan-Methodist Church. Mainly in the NC mountains of Buncombe County. He rode a horse, carried his Bible and a rifle going from small town to small town planting seeds to establish churches in the area.
My Dad said that before he was a preacher he was a drunkard, then became the local sheriff with a jail cell built in the middle of his home to house his prisoner before taking them on to the county jail. The mountains were rugged terrain and movement very slow on horseback.
He went on to help found 17 churches in the Appalachian mountains of North and South Carolina as well as Northern Georgia.
He did have three wives over his life. The first two died before him and his last wife Catherine was my 2nd great grandmother. My grandfather Clifford W. Clubb became a Wesleyan-Methodist minister in the same conference of Western Carolina. Then followed the Methodist church once a split occurred. My father is a retired Presbyterian minister in the Fayetteville Presbytery of NC.
I’ll try and go back and look at our tree for Maude. I’m not sure how or if she’s related.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Howard, to answer your question so I can provide info for others who may be trying to find Clubb Ancestry info.

Hi,
Can you tell me where you found this fact?

Marriage records on Ancestry. It appears Mr. Clubb married many times. There's just over 1 year between the 2 marriages. Parents of Mr. Clubb are listed as the same on both records, which is just one of the things I went on to tie these together as being one of the same. BTW, there is also a Clubb Family Tree which lists both parties in tree

Name:Lottie Gibson Gender:Female Race:WhiteA ge:36 Birth Year:abt 1873 Marriage Date:28 Jan 1909 Marriage Place:Scotland, North Carolina, USA Father:N B Gibson Mother:E J Gibson Spouse: J C Clubb Spouse Gender:Male Spouse Race:White Spouse Age:47 Spouse Father:William ClubbS pouse Mother:Jane ClubbE vent Type:Marriage
Name:Jesse Columbus Clubb Gender:Male Race:White Age:49 Birth Year:abt 1861 Marriage Date:7 May 1910 Marriage Place:Richmond, North Carolina, USA Father:William Clubb Mother:Jane Clubb Spouse: Catherine E Williams Spouse Gender:Female Spouse Race:WhiteSpouse Age:27 Spouse Father:Jerry Williams Spouse Mother:Annie H Williams Event Type:Marriage
Once again, information was interpreted/spelled wrong. As I was looking for more info on Lottie, I came up with this info:

Name:Lettie Gibson Gender:Female Race:White Age:36 Birth Year:abt 1873 Marriage Date:28 Jan 1909 Marriage Place:Scotland, North Carolina, USA Spouse: J C Chubb Spouse Gender:Male Spouse Race:White Spouse Age:47 Event Type:Marriage

Again, I am finding a lot of people in the 1800's used their middle name as their first name. It appears Lottie's real name was Jane:

Name:Jane Gibson Age:9 Birth Year:abt 1871Birthplace:North Carolina Home in 1880:Williamson, Richmond, North Carolina Race:White Gender:Female Relation to Head of House Daughter Marital Status:Single Father's name:Nelson Gibson Father's Birthplace:North Carolina Mother's name:Eliza J. Gibson Mother's Birthplace:North Carolina

Who, yet again, name being misspelled, and DOB seems to be more accurate:

Name:Lotta J Gibson Age:29 Birth Date:Sep 1870 Birthplace:North Carolina Home in 1900:Williamson, Scotland, North Carolina Race:White Gender:Female Relation to Head of House Daughter Marital Status:Single Father's name:Nelson Gibson Father's Birthplace:North Carolina Mother's name:Liza Gibson Mother's Birthplace:North Carolina

I'm guessing Lottie/Jane died shortly after marriage. In 1910 is shows Eliza Gibson as having 9 children with 5 living. The 1900 census shows Jane alive, and that out of 9 children 6 were living.

THANKS
I had lunch with a Clubb and his wife along with another couple. It's been a few years and sadly I think I discarded what I had.
I'll have to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCClubb View Post
I am David Charles Clubb, son of Charles Wesley Clubb, grandson of Clifford Wright Clubb, great grandson of Thomas Clingman “TC” Clubb and 2nd great grandson of Jesse Columbus “JC” Clubb. They we’re all born in NC except for me in Atlanta, Ga.
JC was a circuit riding preacher in the Wesleyan-Methodist Church. Mainly in the NC mountains of Buncombe County. He rode a horse, carried his Bible and a rifle going from small town to small town planting seeds to establish churches in the area.
My Dad said that before he was a preacher he was a drunkard, then became the local sheriff with a jail cell built in the middle of his home to house his prisoner before taking them on to the county jail. The mountains were rugged terrain and movement very slow on horseback.
He went on to help found 17 churches in the Appalachian mountains of North and South Carolina as well as Northern Georgia.
He did have three wives over his life. The first two died before him and his last wife Catherine was my 2nd great grandmother. My grandfather Clifford W. Clubb became a Wesleyan-Methodist minister in the same conference of Western Carolina. Then followed the Methodist church once a split occurred. My father is a retired Presbyterian minister in the Fayetteville Presbytery of NC.
I’ll try and go back and look at our tree for Maude. I’m not sure how or if she’s related.
I met one of your relatives a few years ago.

Last edited by howard555; 09-26-2023 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 11:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
It appears in 1910 JC Clubb was listed as living in Rock Hill, SC

It amazes me how the census workers misspell so much, and how incorrect much of the info out there is. It's mind boggling sometimes to find things, but with persistence, and a little creativity, it's amazing how much you can really find out there!

Hope this helps! On to the next mystery!
Census sometimes misspells but so do transcribers, sometimes because the census takers penmanship is so bad. Often you have to look at the actual document if it is there. Transcribers on my husbands gggrandfather had him arriving several times from Liverpool England when it was Liverpool NS. He was a fisherman and they often went from the cape cod area to Liverpool, NS many times. Also, census was often given of people who were working by neighbors who had no idea how to spell never mind give correct ages. Census is a tool but not the bible.

Old 10-29-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That is correct and I and others had lunch with his great grandson a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy