Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Hey, thanks for haring. Absolutely love Paul Heinegg's work. The John Busby he refers to their is part of the family I mentioned in a nearby South Carolina county. That John is too young to mine, mine was born in the 1730s or so, his son (my ancestor) was born in 1762.

I highly suspect they are related.

Additionally Heinegg's research on the the Busby/Scott kid has been very interesting to me. It points out that in North Carolina a Thomas Chavis was assigned to take the kid to his family in South Carolina (Thomas Chavis being mixed race as well), it turns out his like brother Phillip Chavis had land right next to another John Busby, likely a nephew of my John Busby.

So it seems likely both families are related to my Busbys.
Interesting!

I have recently discovered some Chavis ancestors as well. We may be VERY distant cousins lol.

One of my 4th great grandmothers was a Bass and she was related to the Chavis family. She was born in NC but the family also had land in SC. They were originally from VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 12:03 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting!

I have recently discovered some Chavis ancestors as well. We may be VERY distant cousins lol.

One of my 4th great grandmothers was a Bass and she was related to the Chavis family. She was born in NC but the family also had land in SC. They were originally from VA.
Wow, very interesting... It's certainly possible we may be cousins I know the Chavis/Ivey/Busby proximity goes back to Virginia where all this mixed-race stuff seems to stem from for many of the related lines.

Specifically all these families that have mixed race people interacting (Chavis, Ivey, Busby, Gibson, etc) mostly tie back to Chipoakes Creek in Surry County, Virginia.

Documenting The Melungeons: Historical Melungeons of South Carolina

An interesting list of overlaps here (on top of the ones I've identified)

Quote:
Thomas Chavis purchased 1,100 acres of land at the head of Sunken Marsh near Chipoakes Creek in Surry County, Virginia, on 20 May 1659

*Thomas Busby (born about 1674) was an “Indyan boy” servant to Mr. Robert Caufield of Surry Co. VA in July of 1684 when his age was adjudged at 10 years (Haun, Surry County Records 1682-91, 444) -
Will of Capt. Robert Caufield,... to Samuel Newton and John Collins, wife Elizabeth. Dated Jan. 2, 1691;proved Jan. 19, 1691. [Capt. Robert Caufield was son of William Caufield, of the parish of Chippoakes, Surry county, and Doreas, his wife.

Leiut. Robert Sheppard due 650 acres of land in James City Co., 26 July 16 38, for transporting 13 persons ... the list includes Robert Swett. The land granted to Robert Sheppard at this time was on the south bank of the James River at Chippokes Creek

William Knott, 312 Acres, Surry Co 28 Mar 1666, p. 482 (land patents). 112 acres on south side of James River on south side of Upper Chipoake Creek, bounded NW on land of Edward Oliver, N upon Wm. Thomas, E on George Gibson & SE on Mr. Fisher; 200 acres on south side of said River, Wly. on Jeremiah Clements, NW on Edward Oliver, Nly on Wm. Thomas, George Gibson & Edward Minter, Ely. on Wm. Gapins land & **Mr. Thomas Busbie and SE on Mr. Richard Hill

Phillis Goeing, was presented by the grand jury in Charles City in November 1739 for having a bastard child. She petitioned the court in July 1745 asking her children be bound to George Gibson. (Probably son or grandson of Gibby Gibson of Westover, Charles City County.)

*This Thomas Busby 'may be' the Indian boy mentioned. The Ivey DNA has matches to the Busby family. **This Thomas Busby on Chippoakes Creek 1666, neighbor of George Gibson, was a trader and Interpreter for the crown. In the 1684 tax list one Peter Gibson is found living in household of Thomas Busby.
As it turns out my grandmother comes up with a small amount of high confidence Native American in lines unrelated to my African ancestry, though it leads back to an Andrew Russell born in the 1780s in South Carolina and a brother, cousin, or nephew Gibson Russell b. 1808 (a descendant of Gibson shares the same Russell DNA segment which includes Native DNA, also Gibson Russell is found living next to my Andrew in Alabama). They might lead back to Darlington Co., SC area where a lot of the mixed race and possibly tri-racial descendants of Gibsons and others ended up. Obviously with Gibson Russell's first name being what it is I wonder if I descend from the same the mixed race Gibsons on that line, my Native American segment would potentially then confirm they did have at least some Native DNA too.

It's a small world!

Old 06-02-2017, 07:11 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Wow, very interesting... It's certainly possible we may be cousins I know the Chavis/Ivey/Busby proximity goes back to Virginia where all this mixed-race stuff seems to stem from for many of the related lines.

Specifically all these families that have mixed race people interacting (Chavis, Ivey, Busby, Gibson, etc) mostly tie back to Chipoakes Creek in Surry County, Virginia.

Documenting The Melungeons: Historical Melungeons of South Carolina

An interesting list of overlaps here (on top of the ones I've identified)

As it turns out my grandmother comes up with a small amount of high confidence Native American in lines unrelated to my African ancestry, though it leads back to an Andrew Russell born in the 1780s in South Carolina and a brother, cousin, or nephew Gibson Russell b. 1808 (a descendant of Gibson shares the same Russell DNA segment which includes Native DNA, also Gibson Russell is found living next to my Andrew in Alabama). They might lead back to Darlington Co., SC area where a lot of the mixed race and possibly tri-racial descendants of Gibsons and others ended up. Obviously with Gibson Russell's first name being what it is I wonder if I descend from the same the mixed race Gibsons on that line, my Native American segment would potentially then confirm they did have at least some Native DNA too.

It's a small world!
I don't know if this is possibly a relative of yours. There is a book called “The Invisible Line” by Daniel J. Sharfstein. The book follows three mixed race men whose families identify as white after a generation or two. Here is an article on it. Book Review - The Invisible Line - By Daniel J. Sharfstein - The New York Times One of the family lines is through a Gideon Gibson in South Carolina. The book is more of a study on race, but I bought it to read because I'm possibly related to one of the other men. I was curious about the history.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Not much that is shocking. My family is many generations of farmers.

The only black mark is an ancestor who opened a lumber mill in one of the mid country states (territories) and prospered until all the trees in the area were gone and he had to close the mill and move on. A bit embarrassing to me since I am much in favor of protecting the environment.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't know if this is possibly a relative of yours. There is a book called “The Invisible Line” by Daniel J. Sharfstein. The book follows three mixed race men whose families identify as white after a generation or two. Here is an article on it. Book Review - The Invisible Line - By Daniel J. Sharfstein - The New York Times One of the family lines is through a Gideon Gibson in South Carolina. The book is more of a study on race, but I bought it to read because I'm possibly related to one of the other men. I was curious about the history.
Thanks for sharing. As it turns out that Gibson family is likely related.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I learned some very shocking things researching my family history.I learned that some of my ancestors were involved in witchcraft trials and I am related to Dr.H.H. Holmes through them.He was the country's first serial killer.I even heard that Dr.Holmes is alledged to be Jack the Ripper.Dont know if that true or not.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:50 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I even heard that Dr.Holmes is alledged to be Jack the Ripper.Dont know if that true or not.
Highly unlikely. Holmes was known to be living in Chicago in 1888 during the Ripper murders, refurbishing the building that would be the "Murder Castle". It's unlikely he would leave in the middle of overseeing such work for months to go to London. It's also unlikely that having given into his murderous urges in London 1888, he would then stop for years before resuming again in 1891 in Chicago. Typically, serial killers escalate until caught or dead, they don't stop murdering for such a length of time, then resume after years. Additionally, their MOs are completely different. The Ripper liked to cut and mutilate his victims (hence the name), and his victims were always women, prostitutes. IIRC, Holmes primarily liked to lock people up and gas them to death, and some of his victims were men. Series killers don't change their MO that drastically. Ripper experts don't even consider Holmes as a potential suspect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper_suspects

Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Highly unlikely. Holmes was known to be living in Chicago in 1888 during the Ripper murders, refurbishing the building that would be the "Murder Castle". It's unlikely he would leave in the middle of overseeing such work for months to go to London. It's also unlikely that having given into his murderous urges in London 1888, he would then stop for years before resuming again in 1891 in Chicago. Typically, serial killers escalate until caught or dead, they don't stop murdering for such a length of time, then resume after years. Additionally, their MOs are completely different. The Ripper liked to cut and mutilate his victims (hence the name), and his victims were always women, prostitutes. IIRC, Holmes primarily liked to lock people up and gas them to death, and some of his victims were men. Series killers don't change their MO that drastically. Ripper experts don't even consider Holmes as a potential suspect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Ripper_suspects
Good points.

Last edited by C24L; 06-06-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I learned some very shocking things researching my family history.I learned that some of my ancestors were involved in witchcraft trials and I am related to Dr.H.H. Holmes through them.He was the country's first serial killer.I even heard that Dr.Holmes is alledged to be Jack the Ripper.Dont know if that true or not.
As it turns out he's a distant cousin of my as well, through Stephen Bachiler

Old 06-07-2017, 09:57 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Not to hijack the topic, but there's also the fact that Holmes built an entire building to not only trap his victims, but also easily dispose of the bodies with trap doors and such. The forethought he put into it was astounding, and the reason it's called the Murder Castle is not because so many murders occurred there, but because the whole building was designed for murder. He not only preferred to commit murders in his home, but he actually lured people to it by making it a hotel during the Chicago World Fair.

This is also completely different to the Ripper's approach, which seemed very much opportunistic. The Ripper stalked the streets of Whitechapel, choosing prostitutes seemingly at random. The murders occurred usually either in the victim's home (where she took him for prostitution), or on the streets, in a quiet area where they could be alone. The Ripper clearly preferred to commit his murders away from his home, in whatever location was available.

Okay, I'm done hijacking now, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy