Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM

380 posts, read 369,903 times

Advertisements

I want to order a DNA test for my grandmother. She is of Russian Jewish/Georgian ancestry, or so we believe. Her background story is a little ambiguous. She was orphaned around age 8 and grew up in a kibbutz in Israel. She is my last living grandparent and the one with possibly the most interesting family story!

What test should I use? Is there one that's best for people of Jewish ancestry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
I suggest 23andMe.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:38 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
23andme definitely.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 AM

424 posts, read 236,927 times
Just curious: why 23andme?

Old 05-05-2017, 05:16 PM

830 posts, read 745,757 times
23&Me!

It detected that my uncle was nearly 1/4 Jewish (orphaned grandfather from Eastern Europe lol..who changed his entire name after running away) which was a huge surprise.

FTDNA was more confused in that it gave him a Middle Eastern/Spanish/Jewish mix, which is probably accurate however it seemed 23&me was finer tuned for it.

We uploaded to a few other companies which suggested that he was 1/4 West Asian or Middle Eastern, etc.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,030,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Just curious: why 23andme?
IIRC, the CEO (and her former husband/expartner) of 23andMe had a personal interest in tracing Jewish related DNA. 23andMe's main purpose is medical research and (I believe) they hoped to identify disease causing genes that are more prevalent in those of Jewish ancestry. Find the genes and the medical research will follow.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
IIRC, the CEO (and her former husband/expartner) of 23andMe had a personal interest in tracing Jewish related DNA. 23andMe's main purpose is medical research and (I believe) they hoped to identify disease causing genes that are more prevalent in those of Jewish ancestry. Find the genes and the medical research will follow.
Interesting.

Well, being almost 50% Ashkenazi Jewish descent, I guess I made a good decision by taking their test!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 AM

23,882 posts, read 33,614,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
I want to order a DNA test for my grandmother. She is of Russian Jewish/Georgian ancestry, or so we believe. Her background story is a little ambiguous. She was orphaned around age 8 and grew up in a kibbutz in Israel. She is my last living grandparent and the one with possibly the most interesting family story!

What test should I use? Is there one that's best for people of Jewish ancestry?
My dad has one living relative, his brother. I'd love to do one of the male specific tests at Family Tree DNA then will also do one at Ancestry since that's where I started testing. I'll then upload to My Heritage and FTDNA to compare our matches.

How old is she? You may want to also consider doing one of the more extensive tests on FTDNA in addition to the 23 and me

MtDNA test mtFull Sequence on sale for Mother's day $199 USD. mtDNA test traces your maternal line, the family finder is on sale for $69

You can see all of the tests on their main page of tests

Old 05-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My dad has one living relative, his brother. I'd love to do one of the male specific tests at Family Tree DNA then will also do one at Ancestry since that's where I started testing. I'll then upload to My Heritage and FTDNA to compare our matches.

How old is she? You may want to also consider doing one of the more extensive tests on FTDNA in addition to the 23 and me

MtDNA test mtFull Sequence on sale for Mother's day $199 USD. mtDNA test traces your maternal line, the family finder is on sale for $69

You can see all of the tests on their main page of tests
OP probably doesn't even need to get an mtDNA test on her grandmother. If it's her maternal grandmother, OP can just do it herself and if it's her paternal grandmother, her father (if alive) can do it.

I've heard some people say to test the oldest generation due to the possibility of mutations. But the logic behind that statement is flawed. The chances of mtDNA mutating from one generation to the next is so unlikely that it's not even worth mentioning.

A better test would be an autosomal test since that could potentially be a game changer and may differentiate between distant family member relationships.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:53 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,900,308 times
mtDNA is also not particularly useful for recent genealogy, unless you are trying to confirm/deny a maternal relationship between two people by having them both test. It's a lot of money for something that probably won't benefit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy