Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 AM

37 posts, read 31,817 times

Advertisements

Hi,
could anyone tell me, when the census where filled in 1900 up to 1940
who would have do it? I live in England and have found family living in
Pitcairn and Linglestown.

the reason is iam trying to workout why some middle initials appear on
some but not others. even the spelling is hard to figure out.

thanks to anyone who could help, best regards.

Billy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,896,078 times
The US Census? Enumerators would go door to door and fill out the form based on what the informant said. So if the informant provided a middle initial, they would record it, if not, then they didn't. Correct spelling wasn't a necessity so there are often errors.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 AM

37 posts, read 31,817 times
Hi PA2UK,

Thank you for your message, I thought it would be something like that
but wanted to check. I have filled a few in England and have been very
careful with my writing and the spelling.

The death certificates that I have found from Pennsylvania are just
full of information, they have given me more help in searching for
others.

Best regards, Billy.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
https://www.census.gov/history/www/g...records_2.html Especially this part: https://www.census.gov/history/www/t...uestionnaires/

You might find some information at the above site. Just as with the UK, different years asked for different information. Also, some were filled in by the enumerator and some were filled in by the respondent. That could account for some of the variations too.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:36 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,298,975 times
I'm excitedly waiting for the 1950 (US) census. My grandmother was census taker for that. I'm not sure how her writing was. She had an eighth grade education. Her parents did not know how to read and write. My great grandfather who could read and write had already passed away. My grandmother taught my grandfather's mother how to write her name. My grandfather had a fourth grade education, but his younger sisters did not go to school. My grandmother taught her younger sisters in law to read and write.

My grandmother with her eighth grade education was one of the more educated people in that area.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:14 PM

4,873 posts, read 4,814,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm excitedly waiting for the 1950 (US) census. My grandmother was census taker for that. I'm not sure how her writing was. She had an eighth grade education. Her parents did not know how to read and write. My great grandfather who could read and write had already passed away. My grandmother taught my grandfather's mother how to write her name. My grandfather had a fourth grade education, but his younger sisters did not go to school. My grandmother taught her younger sisters in law to read and write.

My grandmother with her eighth grade education was one of the more educated people in that area.
My 2-great grandfather was a census enumerator in his county in Tennessee in 1880. His handwriting and spelling was impeccable, age 65. I'd be surprised if he attended school. Unfortunately, the images of this census are poor.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:28 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,298,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
My 2-great grandfather was a census enumerator in his county in Tennessee in 1880. His handwriting and spelling was impeccable, age 65. I'd be surprised if he attended school. Unfortunately, the images of this census are poor.
It is still great that you have a piece of his writing.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

Of course the 1950 census data will still not be available until 2022! The 72-year embargo rule on census data seems absurd -- It really makes genealogy research much more difficult with little or no obvious benefit. As far as I can see, it's only another bureaucratic overreach.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Of course the 1950 census data will still not be available until 2022! The 72-year embargo rule on census data seems absurd -- It really makes genealogy research much more difficult with little or no obvious benefit. As far as I can see, it's only another bureaucratic overreach.
Well, in the UK it's 100 years. The idea is privacy. The older you get, the more you don't want these censuses released too early.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, in the UK it's 100 years. The idea is privacy. The older you get, the more you don't want these censuses released too early.
I'm sure there is some truth in what you are saying, but, holding back census data for 72 or 100-years for "privacy reasons" is incomprehensible. To me, it's like sealing-up some government records (ie; Kennedy assassination, etc) 50-75 years ... for "national security" reasons.

In addition to claimed "privacy issues," I believe there is an 'elephant in the room-sized bureaucratic control element' - It is designed solely to justify the existence and protect the funding of some inner-departmental agencies and career politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy