Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times

Advertisements

A place to post any news without starting a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 04:03 PM

This is the first such case I have heard of in Europe...

Sweden: man goes on trial for 2004 murder after DNA matched to genealogy site: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-year-dna-wait

Quote:
Daniel Nyqvist, who confessed to the crime shortly after his arrest last June, has been charged with the 2004 murder of a 56-year-old woman and an eight-year-old boy.
Quote:
The case was finally cracked when new legislation in January 2019 allowed police to search for matches to suspects’ DNA on commercial genealogy websites, which are popular among Swedes seeking long-lost relatives.
Quote:
Investigators used the databases of GEDmatch and Family Tree.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:55 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
I didn't know the Guardian wants people to make an account to read. I found the article at another site.

I'm pretty surprised they were able to solve it. I didn't think doing DNA was as popular in Europe because they don't have the sales we have, or that's what one Hungarian cousin's GF told me when I posted about buying it for $59 when it's on sale. I told her it can get shipped to me and I'd gladly pay the $15 to ship the Ancestry test to Hungary just to have him in their database. I'd love to know what kind of matches I have on that line, he's currently at My Heritage. He's a match on my dad's mothers side where I don't have as much information even though my uncle is still alive. She told me people in Europe do My Heritage because it's cheaper then doing Ancestry but I can't see that unless they have different benefits then we do. At least with Ancestry you pay once and are done. With My Heritage, you have to pay to ship it back plus get a $100 a year subscription to use the advanced DNA tools that people that do uploads pay $29 for.

Too bad he won't see jail because they say he's mentally ill. I have to wonder if he's killed more people since he killed them when he was younger,

Swede on trial for murder after DNA hit on genealogy site Published Tuesday, September 15, 2020 10:07AM EDT
Quote:
Aged 21 at the time, he admitted to obsessive thoughts about killing and that he chose his victims randomly, first stabbing the boy and then the woman.

According to investigators, he had lived a secluded life near Linkoping since the murders.

An unemployed loner who liked to play computer games Nyquist seldom ventured out of his parents' house, media reports say.

Medical experts have concluded he suffers from a serious psychiatric disorder and did so at the time of the crime. If convicted, he will be sentenced to psychiatric care.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:56 AM

How a Toronto woman discovered she has up to 600 half-siblings:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject/...ings-1.5727049

Her biological father ran a fertility clinic with his wife in London during the Second World War.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:03 AM

Genealogy buff delighted to find he helped solve Jessop cold case — but also learns he's killer's cousin:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/christine-je...sins-1.5828034

Old 12-08-2020, 01:34 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Genealogy buff delighted to find he helped solve Jessop cold case — but also learns he's killer's cousin:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/christine-je...sins-1.5828034
Too bad he's not even familiar with FTDNA's opt in policy. He says in the end he didn't remember doing that lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy