Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 PM

672 posts, read 503,915 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this toda. Our Ancestors would not like all these online commercial DNA Tests from AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA, 23andMe, and Myheritage because all their skeletons and secrets are coming to light.

As much as we may enjoy doing Family History and Genealogy using DNA to help out research I imagine A lot of them are probably rolling in their Graves

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 04-09-2019 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
You make an interesting point, but secrets were found out via many ways long before we understood the concept of DNA.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:36 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Most of those things come out over time. An uncle may have had one too many and spills the beans about Aunt Martha getting knocked up in high school.

I bet the people who never told the kid they are adopted or that gave up a baby for adoption 42 years ago are doing some thinking.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:57 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,075 times
Sometimes, I wonder if we don't worry about those things too much, and perhaps more than earlier generations may have done.

Both of my parents would have loved it. My father was fascinated by technology in any shape or form. I can remember him being blown away the first time he saw an electronic fish finder/depth finder on a fresh water fishing boat. He was like a kid in a candy store. He wouldn't have focused nearly as much on the DNA results as the science behind it.

For Mom, on the other hand, it would be today's equivalent of gossiping over the back fence. She would be the one digging for the dirt, to hail with building a family tree. A free spirit, if it happened to uncover any of her unshared secrets, she would have gotten the biggest kick of all out of it.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
I have a 3rd great-grandmother who was vindicated by DNA. So if she is "rolling over in her grave" it is to thank DNA. She was single and named a married man as the father of her two children in 1828, suing him for child support (one of the children was my 2nd great-grandfather). She won, but the "legitimate" descendants always doubted he was really their father. Well, DNA testing has proven that she was correct in naming the father of her children.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I was thinking about this toda. Our Ancestors would not like all these online commercial DNA Tests from AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA, 23andMe, and Myheritage because all their skeletons and secrets are coming to light.

As much as we may enjoy doing Family History and Genealogy using DNA to help out research I imagine A lot of them are probably rolling in their Graves
That might be true for some of them, but certainly not all. DNA did uncover that my great grandmother had an ongoing affair with a man and had two children by him. She took that secret to her grave, having successfully passed her children off as her husband's even though they later divorced so obviously she never wanted anyone to know.

However, DNA has only helped proved the entire rest of my family tree and even break down some brick walls and rediscover "lost" ancestors. I'd wager the vast majority of my ancestors would be pleased with that.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
I try not true use absolutes, while some might not like it, I'm sure some could care less and might even enjoy it.

My maternal grandfather passed away in 1994 and was a very inquisitive person, never went to college, skipped a grade or two in elementary school, self-taught himself to play over half a dozen different instruments, and would probably get a kick out of the science involved in DNA genealogy!

Old 04-10-2019, 10:31 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have a 3rd great-grandmother who was vindicated by DNA. So if she is "rolling over in her grave" it is to thank DNA. She was single and named a married man as the father of her two children in 1828, suing him for child support (one of the children was my 2nd great-grandfather). She won, but the "legitimate" descendants always doubted he was really their father. Well, DNA testing has proven that she was correct in naming the father of her children.
I have a similar situation in my tree. DNA showed that a male who is a direct descendant of a certain line is actually not related to that surname. Court records revealed that the widow of a man with that surname got pregnant after her spouse died. She named the father.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Some would like it, some would not. Why would they be any different in attitude from the general population today?

Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post

An interesting view. Realize that statement applies to many, many technologies now in mainstream use today. Society cannot react this quickly to disruptors, but we have no choice. The printing press, cotton gin, and Galileo's observations challenging Church doctrine: all caused major upheaval economically and socially. Rough analogies only...
  • Social media sites are putting a lot more visibility on the interactions of relatives, friends, etc. Big disruptor.
  • Most people who aren't Luddites have a smartphone, almost all have some sort of cell phone. Information is instant. Access is 24 hours. Work and off-time are blurring. Most don't abuse the privilege, but some still do in business!

I hadn't thought of 23andMe and etc. as disruptors, but yes they are. Do we "want" this information? I signed up to 23andMe in the amused hope there would be a black sheep in the family tree (almost literally). Nope: 96.5% British Isles, as expected. Boring, but confirms what I knew growing up. We're as Irish as that famous clover.

But yes: if someone in the family tree was rolling the hay with someone from elsewhere, I personally would find it interesting and I'd figure it all out eventually. Others don't really feel that way, they just THINK they do as it causes family churn when you find out dad had bastard sons or mom had babies given away for adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy