Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 06:07 PM

721 posts, read 598,028 times

Advertisements

This is the entry for "occupation" for my 3rd great grandfather in the 1851 Canadian census. I can't figure out what it says. The last two letters may be -er because they look very much like the way the end of "farmer" is written for other people on the same census book page. But the letters prior to that ... well, I can't figure it out. (Ignore that slash through the word.)
Attached Thumbnails
Need help figuring out what this says-img_20220307_193641.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 07:28 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Could WEAVER be a possibility ?

Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Could WEAVER be a possibility ?
I bet you're right. The image I have of the census page doesn't have any names with an upper case W to compare it with, but weaver would make total sense since he emigrated from Manchester, then the textile center of the world. Thanks. Mystery solved, I'd say.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:05 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
I agree. It looks like Weaver.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
This is the entry for "occupation" for my 3rd great grandfather in the 1851 Canadian census. I can't figure out what it says. The last two letters may be -er because they look very much like the way the end of "farmer" is written for other people on the same census book page. But the letters prior to that ... well, I can't figure it out. (Ignore that slash through the word.)
Go back to the page and look for what sort of work his neighbors/family were doing.
Also... mousing over the various cells should get a pop-up with detail

Old 03-10-2022, 12:08 PM

We located now an earlier census for him in England before he emigrated to Canada. In that his occupation was "Draper". Seems 3rd great grandpa was a laborer in the textile industry and brought that trade with him to America working as a weaver.

His son, my 2nd great grandfather, went on to farming as a homesteader in North Dakota, expanded his land holdings over time and added a lumbar company.

His son, my grandfather, went to medical school and became a doctor.

It's just that old American (also Canadian) immigrant family story.

(The family trajectory took a dive after that with my father... but that's the old story of having too much handed to you, plus alcohol.)

Old 03-10-2022, 10:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Looked like weaver to me and it's good to see another one who escaped the mills in the north of England. My grandparents did too but it was woolen mills in Yorkshire whereas in Manchester (Lancashire) it was cotton mills. Weavers, drapers, dyers, overseers of the worsted weavers, on and on. Horrible life if you go back and read about it. A lot of those old mills still stand although many have been converted into housing or put to other uses.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:22 AM

I want to learn more about mill work and that life. Apparently my 3rd great grandfather lived in some kind of worker housing, gender segregated, long after he was married. My brother found some documentation that showed he and my 3rd great grandmother (who also apparently worked in the mills) were married young, but did not live together for 3 years. Only being lodged at the same address when they finally arrived in Canada. It must have been an enormously hard life.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I want to learn more about mill work and that life. Apparently my 3rd great grandfather lived in some kind of worker housing, gender segregated, long after he was married. My brother found some documentation that showed he and my 3rd great grandmother (who also apparently worked in the mills) were married young, but did not live together for 3 years. Only being lodged at the same address when they finally arrived in Canada. It must have been an enormously hard life.
I'll have to agree with you that the lives they led were difficult and there wasn't much, if any, opportunity to better yourself. I learned about it from belonging to online genealogy groups before Ancestry existed. Most of the members lived in the North of England and were descendants of mill workers themselves. They told the stories that their grandparents and gt grandparents had told. They would describe the working conditions too.

I looked for books for you but I think you could google and find some on the living conditions and life in general back in those days. I found this:
https://historicengland.org.uk/image...ashire-legacy/

It is a modern day history and interpretation which tends to somewhat glorify the era and desires to preserve the old mills and their history. Very interesting pictures and maps. At the end is a list of definitions of terms that would have been commonly used in the textile industry back then and then some more extra added attractions.

Personally, I have never found a book that describes the life of an ordinary family. I do have books on the history of the areas. Only once did I read a book that told the true story of a mill worker's family in Lanacashire but it was unpublished and a friend of the author lent it to me. Grim is the word. The theme was how the woman of the house made do with broken bisquits and other scraps to feed her family. Seems that "making do" was the way of life. I do know that the workers usually lived in row houses either directly across from their mill or very close by. (row houses=terraced houses.) Work started early and ended late. Get there a few seconds late and you would be whipped. Children were forced to leave school at the age of 13 to work in the mill and they were forced to do work far beyond their physical ability. A young boy would lose a hand in a machine but no one cared. Girls got their hair caught in a machine and no one would care. The co-workers cared deeply about each other though because the mill owners cared only for money.

People worked six days a week and got a day off for Christmas. You can look up back to back houses--the style of the tiny places in which they lived. They slept "head to toe" to fit more people into the bed.

The air is said to have been kept constantly dark from the smoke and a sort of joke was that even the pigeons had to fly backwards to keep the soot out of their eyes.

These might be helpful books for understanding the lives your ancestors lived: https://www.amazon.com/Narrow-Window...ustomerReviews

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...strial-society

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Bolton.../dp/B074B4QT8F

^^^Three books that might or might not be interesting and helpful to you.

It's surprising how little seems to have been written about people's lives in those days. I was fortunate enough to have been able to participate in that online Yorkshire group and hear about it. We heard about the dialects, the food, the sayings...here's a common everyday Lancashire saying to get you started: "Be reet."

Old 03-11-2022, 08:55 PM

Thank you for those leads and tips! It is somehow difficult to imagine the harshness of that life, but it also resonates very deeply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy