Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times

Advertisements

how long a person had to be missing before being declared deceased? If so how would one go about having a person declared deaseased? Where would I find the record of it?

I ask, becuase my ggg grandfather was thought to have drowned in the Mississippi River around 1877, but his body was never recovered. His horse he was riding was found drowned after it washed up on a bank shortly after my ggg grandfather went missing so it was assumed my ggg grandfather met the same fate as his horse.

8 years after my ggg grandfather went missing, my ggg grandmother re-married. I am assuming that she waited so long to re-marry because of a law that said a person could not be declared dead until after 7 years of being missing.

I can't seem to find a death certificate of my ggg grandfather anywhere in MO or in IL. They were living in one or the other state at the time of his death, but she was living in MO at the time of the 1880 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM

149 posts, read 548,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
8 years after my ggg grandfather went missing, my ggg grandmother re-married. I am assuming that she waited so long to re-marry because of a law that said a person could not be declared dead until after 7 years of being missing.

I can't seem to find a death certificate of my ggg grandfather anywhere in MO or in IL. They were living in one or the other state at the time of his death, but she was living in MO at the time of the 1880 census.
While I have no idea on the laws of that area at that time I would venture a guess that if she had wanted to remarry she could have at any time without any repercussions. Things were much more lax about law enforcement back then - if such a law even existed. The neighbors knew the story - the local law enforcement knew the story - people were a bit more reasonable back then!

As for a death certificate, I am not in the least surprised. It would not be issued at the time of the accident since he was missing and later who would have thought about it unless it was needed by your ggg grandmother for some reason.

There was never a registration of my great grandfather's death in ND back in 1920 or of my great grandmother's a year before. They had been living with a son's family and had no land or other possessions that needed a will. So, no need for a death certificate - just stick 'em in the ground.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
It seems to me that that birth and deaths in Illinois did not have to be recorded before 1915. Weddings, on the other hand, have been recorded at local court houses since the 1800s. The only way to find a death is through newspapers and furneral home records. Many Illinois local genealogy and historical societies transcribed these records. You can buy them of research them in the local libraries. I bought several of the books from Fulton County, IL .

The nusband of my gggrandfathre;s fourth wife disappeared. To this day no one knows the circumstances of his disappearance or if he lived or died.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:39 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Not all events were recorded. Or records have been lost or destroyed. Though it is also possible he died while traveling for some reason. (On business, in the military, scouted out west for a possible move and was killed.)

Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Well thanks for the info. It very well could be the case that a death certificate was never issued for him. My ggg grandmother just may have waited as long as she did to remarry as it took that long to find another Mr. Right. I seriously doubt he had a will of any kind drawn up being that he was still fairly young when he died. He would have been around 35 years old in 1877. I haven't located any land records yet either, so he may not have owned any land that needed to be dealt with after his death. But not all records have been transcribed or put online and some records have been destroyed and will never be available for researching.

I was hoping that a death certificate might give a bit more info about his actual DOB and possible place of birth or any other relevant info. It has been hard to trace any lines back beyond him because his name was such a common name in Ireland, which is where he was born. The more solid info. I can find on him here in the USA the easier it will be to find info. on him in Ireland.

I've got two family lines I am stuck on and just can't make the jump across the pond to where they came from. One thing that makes it hard is that both family names are pretty common in the countries in which they were born. Another thing that makes it hard is the lack of info. on them while they were here. There are times when I wish our country did a much better job of record keeping. It's sad when you can trace family lines back 400+ years in other countries but here in the USA you are lucky if you can go back a couple of generations.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM

I supposedly have ancestors who were born in Scotland after 1660. The family has tried to pin the tail on this donkey for 60 years. I spoek with two accredited geneaolgists who say the same thing. If the family did not have enough money to pay the church scribe to enter an event, such as a marriage or a baptism, there is no record. Whether or not John Little was born or married in Scotland is a matter of family debate for at one time his was the most common name in Scotland.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I supposedly have ancestors who were born in Scotland after 1660. The family has tried to pin the tail on this donkey for 60 years. I spoek with two accredited geneaolgists who say the same thing. If the family did not have enough money to pay the church scribe to enter an event, such as a marriage or a baptism, there is no record. Whether or not John Little was born or married in Scotland is a matter of family debate for at one time his was the most common name in Scotland.
The case with my ancestor from Ireland is his name originated in Scotland, like a lot of folks that were in Ireland at the beginning. Supposedly my ancestor's name Orr is a name all to itself and is not derived from another name so supposedly all people with the last name Orr/Ore all originate back to Scotland and are all related somehow.

There are quite a few people researching the name Orr and some have been able to leap from here to Ireland and then to Scotland, or just from here to Scotland. But I'll be danged that none of them seem to have any known connection to my Orr, at least none that I have found so far.

The same goes for the other name I'm stuck on. It's Lanier which supposedly is Italian to begin with, but many of the Laniers moved from Italy to France and then from France to England. My Lanier came here directly from France. There are many people researching the name Lanier and have gone back to at least when their ancestors moved from France to England and then to here, but danged if any of them show any possible connection to my Lanier.

All of these folks that have been doing research on the names Orr or Lanier have a list of everything from Cousins, to Aunts and Uncles and even the family dog. They may have some family info. about my ancestors, but I just can't find enough info. on my direct ancestors here in the states to tie them into other folks' family trees. It's almost like my family branch was cut off.

After reading some of the fascinating history that folks have uncovered about the names Orr and Lanier it would be nice to find out where and how my ancestors played a role in that history.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM

It won't be helpful to tell you I had a Dr. Orr that perfectly charming a few year ago. But this might. Inormation in Funeral home records the 1800s came from relatives or close friends of the decedant. Most of the time the parents names were mentioned, but not always. Some times it was just one line John Jones h. of Jane Smith.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It won't be helpful to tell you I had a Dr. Orr that perfectly charming a few year ago. But this might. Inormation in Funeral home records the 1800s came from relatives or close friends of the decedant. Most of the time the parents names were mentioned, but not always. Some times it was just one line John Jones h. of Jane Smith.

This sentence is a bit confusing.

Are you saying you have a Dr. Orr somewhere in your linage? If so what was his name? From the 1870 census record I recieved for my ggg grandfather it lists whom I believe to be my ggg grandfather's brother as living all together. In the 1880 census I was able to find the name of whom I assume is my ggg grandfather's brother listed as being a doctor/drugist in MO.

I am hoping that a volunteer I contacted will be able to locate an obit for the person who might be this Dr. Orr.

As far as funeral cards go, I know that some can be quite informative, but when you have no idea when or where a relative died it makes it hard to find a funeral home that holds a funeral card.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Wyoquilter, I don't know if this will help, but if your Irish lived for a while in England first, you may be able to research them there at least for the time they stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy