Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 AM

772 posts, read 1,143,519 times

Advertisements

Hello. Should I take I-10 or I-40 when driving from Sacramento to Miami? I'll be traveling in mid-December. Two considerations are paramount: (1) safety and (2) weather.

I would prefer to take the highway that is safer. Is, for instance, I-40 safer than I-10 because it doesn't run as close to the border? I am a big guy and everything, but I've never felt fully safe on long road trips, particularly where, as here, I'll be driving alone at night.

Also, I don't want to get caught in any snowstorms like I did when I came across I-80. Both routes seem like they are sufficiently far south that I shouldn't have to worry about that. Yet I-40 gives me a little pause because it goes through northern Arizona and New Mexico.

Any other relevant considerations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Outside of safety and weather, tolls are another consideration, though that is way down on the list of priorities.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:35 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Hello. Should I take I-10 or I-40 when driving from Sacramento to Miami? I'll be traveling in mid-December. Two considerations are paramount: (1) safety and (2) weather.

I would prefer to take the highway that is safer. Is, for instance, I-40 safer than I-10 because it doesn't run as close to the border? I am a big guy and everything, but I've never felt fully safe on long road trips, particularly where, as here, I'll be driving alone at night.

Also, I don't want to get caught in any snowstorms like I did when I came across I-80. Both routes seem like they are sufficiently far south that I shouldn't have to worry about that. Yet I-40 gives me a little pause because it goes through northern Arizona and New Mexico.

Any other relevant considerations?

Thanks!

Take I-10 .... you could very well get caught in snow on I-40. I'd come down the coast of Cali and pick up I-10. Avoid the mountains in the central part of the U.S. You could get some snow in no. New Mexico. No matter which route you choose, join AAA if you haven't already.

Map of Sacramento, CA and Miami, FL

Old 12-01-2017, 01:38 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Is, for instance, I-40 safer than I-10 because it doesn't run as close to the border?
No. Get south as soon as you can: I-5 to I-10 to I-75 etc.

From Sac though.... I might head over the hill into NV and Vegas
then Kingman and down to I-10 at Phoenix. Stop and see a show.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Does he have to go through Death Valley that way ?

Old 12-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Is this for safety (i.e., not driving through the mountains in the winter)? I read in another thread that I-70 doesn't have a lot of services. I'll big in a 12-foot Penske, which is about as gas-guzzling as it gets.

Also, is I-10 safe? I read that there is a lot of crime along the border?

Finally, are there any hotels or travel centers along I-10? It would be nice to stop at a hotel once or twice or, if not, at least go to a travel center and take a shower.

Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2017, 01:34 PM

382 posts, read 868,352 times
You could hit snow or ice anywhere along I-40 depending, so go as far south as possible if you want to miss it.

Word of warning when you get to Florida, STOP at the state line for the agricultural inspection if your in ANY box type truck, including rental trucks, they will chase you down and pull you over.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
I have driven both I-40 and I-10 from CA to Tennessee many times over the past 5 years.

In the Winter I take I-10. You can and likely will encounter snow on I-40, almost always in Flagstaff through Williams AZ. We also had major traffic from accidents from a snowstorm in Albuquerque NM. Sat on the freeway for 4 hours then for 2 more from semi trucks slamming into each other in the snow and ice. Glad we were behind them and not next to them. Since then, we take I-10 during the Winter.

IF it was good weather and not Winter I-40 is shorter for us by an hour or two and has lots less blowing sand.

I-10 does have cities and towns where you can get gas and stay in hotels just off the highway. Just watch the signs and do not cut it short on gas because there are places where there is nothing for miles, but that is the same as I-40.

There is more trafficking of people and crime around I-10, but just do not stop for hitchhikers or stopped cars needing help (sometimes its a scam to get you to stop and steal your car/stuff/life). And try to not stop in major cities like El Paso that are know for lots of undocumented folks / border crossers / crime.

I travel both interstates with my two kids, and I am an older female. Never felt unsafe, but I also do not take chances. Stop at well lit areas, if there is only one other car at a rest area, we do not stop, etc.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Also, is I-10 safe? I read that there is a lot of crime along the border?
Is this really a serious questions? If so, You're On An Interstate! There are thousands of other vehicles traveling along the same road with you. I-10 barely comes close to the border except for maybe that small 75 mile stretch from El Paso to the Texas 87 truck stop. Even in that stretch your still on the Interstate. You stand a greater chance of being robbed by some american meth head at a gas station than some "border crime". Of course, if you deliberately or through ignorance decide to stop overnight in a crime ridden area, well what can happen could happen could easily happen in any bad area of american. Much of the hype over border crime is more sensationalizing versus actual risk. You stand a greater chance of being a victim of crime stopping for gas in Alabama versus driving I-8 to I-10 from CA to TX.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,330,246 times
No snow predicted through mid December.

Traveling at night everything always seems scarier especially if stopping at a rest stop with no body else there. It will be very cold at night along both routes.

Plenty of gas stations, travel centers and hotels along both routes.

I am heading east myself and for now am heading north to I40 at Las Cruces unless weather changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues