Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,461 times

Advertisements

I didn't see an advice sub forum so I'm posting this here looking for some advice. Here's my situation. I grew up in a smaller town and come from a broken family situation so I don't have anyone to turn to for some solid advice, that's why I'm posting on a forum. After I graduated high school at 18, I went in the armed forces until I was 22. Then I got out and went back to my hometown. There aren't really any opportunities so I tried to start my own business. After doing that for over a year and quite frankly struggling, barely making enough money to survive, I decided I need to move on to something better. I feel I need to relocate to a better area with more opportunity for careers and income but I don't really know where to relocate. I here places like North Carolina and Texas are doing well and are nice. I've been to Texas before while in the military and I liked it there. The other thing is I could use my military service(GI Bill) to go to college. I was thinking about doing that but I have no idea what degree to get. I've looked through lists of degree offerings but nothing really catches my interest. I know I need to either relocate and get a good job or go back to school and get set up in a strong career path. What would you suggest that I do? Thanks for your help, I need some good advice.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I'd go to college. Start working on your basic education requirements and start thinking about what you want to do. Then, if you find it, declare that as your major and start studying. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I would say go to college on the GIBill, But you need to work on your 'Life' plan. Since you did 4 year in Military and left at the end of your enlistment, I'm guessing it was not for you.

What was your MOS? Did you like doing that? Was there another MOS you would have liked to do.

It sound like you could use a Life Coach/Mentor. A call to a VFW and/or American Legion post might be a good idea. Ask them if one of there members would be interested in being your coach. Help you sort out your goals, and set you on a path for success. And be a resource for you to call on now and in the future as you move thru your life.

Good Luck...

Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I wouldn't recommend college until you know what you want to do. You could get a 4 yr degree in acoustics and decide to become a chef.

Don't know what MOS means but what did you do when you were a kid? Was there some hobby/activity/fantasy that helped you escape?
Another approach is to describe the job you want and see what fits. Do you like working with people? Outside? Computers? Working with your hands? Wearing a suit or more casual?

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
I wouldn't recommend college for someone completely undecided. It's a waste of time and money if you're just doing it because you think you're supposed to. Do you have any special training from the Army? What kind of business did you start? You sound like you have some ingenuity, which is a really good thing. Do you have interests, like working on cars or something like that, that you could turn into a career with the right training? There are some jobs that will allow you to live almost anywhere, like retail banking, nursing, teaching, and so on. Jobs like that will really give you a lot of flexibility later on. Maybe look into trucking opportunities and think about getting a CDL? It doesn't take that long and will give you something to fall back on.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,461 times
Thanks for the responses everyone.

@flyonpa I was an engineer. I enjoyed my time in the military but I wouldn't want to do that as a civilian job long term. To be honest there weren't really other jobs in the military that interested me. It's kind of how I feel when I look at a list of degree programs for college, nothing jumps out at me as being interesting.

@PAhippo When I was a kid I played sports. I was in baseball, basketball, soccer and tennis leagues every year. I was also in Boy Scouts, went camping a lot. When I was younger and thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up the only thing that ever interested me was becoming a pro athlete. Obviously that didn't work out for me, lol. I'm not really an overt person. I would say I'm more introverted personality wise. I like to be outside rather than in an office all day. I'm not too computer savvy. More casual than suit wearing.

@tigre79 Not really any special training. Landscaping business. Someone I knew told me it was a good industry and easy to make money in. I didn't find that to be the case. I am a creative person. I'm pretty sure I've invented a couple of things but I don't know what I'm supposed to do as the next step. I like watching that show Shark Tank. I don't like working on cars. My only real interests are sports/athletics, nutrition, independently researching different topics, reading and learning anything new that I don't already know.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
I would go back to college...find something that pays well and that you find a little interesting. Life goes by quick so take advantage of the education assistance and run with it!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
okay-so

outside
minimal people and puters
casual dress
pretty active

Forestry
environmental studies-
(there's a fish hatchery degree offered at a college near here)
something for a zoo?
some kind of search/rescue team

there's probably a lot more just based on what you've said, and you're likely to find even more if/when you start looking into these.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Excellent suggestions. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues