Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

My last two moves were flat fee moves, not hourly. One was a 1000 mile move with Allied Van Lines. The other was in state, 120 miles. I hired a local company that actually advertised under office/piano moving. They quoted me a flat rate. There was a boss guy and two helpers. They all rode in the truck to the new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Found a better moving company, I think

Today I found a company that loads the truck at the 1st location. Then they go off the clock and go out to lunch (pay for it themselves) and then will meet us at the destination house and download our stuff. I love this scenario. I don't have to figure out what & how much to buy for lunch AND don't have to pay the company for their lunchtime. All I need to do is provide water and other drinks. And give them a tip, will can be bigger since I don't have to foot the bill for lunch. YEA!

This company is well respected in the area and I have had friends who used them successfully. Feelin' good!!!

I moved a few times in FL and this is how it worked for me. With "small-ish" companies.

Now, once I facilitated a HUGE 20,000 pound move for a client of mine and I had to leave for an hour. It was going to be an all day affair loading. It filled the entire truck except a corner with another guy's motorcycle in it.

I picked up lunch for myself and bought lunch for them. But it was just a bunch of hoagies, chips and soda and they were surprised when I asked them if they wanted anything and grateful. I didn't tip because it was the load up not unloading.

During the three day packing the packers did their own lunch off the clock but ate really FAST because they get paid to be FAST. Like a half hour if that.

Coleman Allied. They were excellent and arrived two days early at the destination. The dispatcher was invaluable resolving any issues with the three day packers and invoice resolution (a discrepancy) and the actual load and arrival across country. She took it very personally as a standard of quality AND keeping the customer happy. The estimator was good, too giving me tips on how to make things cheaper if we wanted. It was a flat fee move, $15,000. I'd say he saved her maybe $2000 with the suggestions but it really didn't matter a whole lot to the client.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 PM

244 posts, read 667,707 times
The only time we used movers, we didn't buy them lunch, they brought their own. I never even thought of buying them lunch. I always figured it was like my own job. I don't expect my boss to feed me, just pay me for the work I've done.

However, when we've moved and friends and family have helped, we have definitely bought them lunch, and sometimes dinner, depending on how long it took.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:10 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
They were actual movers working for a well respected moving company. The move from our apartment to our new home a few blocks away ended up costing us ~$900.00 plus tip. We did move to a 3 story house from the one-story apartment. They were polite and friendly. My only beef was to be charged for their rest time at lunch.
If you were so concerned, you should have gone for a flat rate. You did a nice thing buying them lunch (I have always done so)...don't ruin it for by pinching a few pennies when the move went well.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default No Flat Rate for Local Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If you were so concerned, you should have gone for a flat rate. You did a nice thing buying them lunch (I have always done so)...don't ruin it for by pinching a few pennies when the move went well.
In our area, there is no flat rate pricing for local household moves.

Having to provide lunch for movers is another burden for the homeowner, added to a very busy, tiring, stressful day. We do tip them well, and personally, I think that is enough. However, I don't resent that as much as paying a moving company for their employees' lunch time. Most workers in most businesses are not paid during their lunch hour. I wonder if those moving men actually got paid for that time by the moving company or if the company simply pocketed that amount. What about the many people in the USA who work very hard manually--such as construction workers, miners, etc.? Do they get paid to eat lunch? I doubt it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues